The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Hmm…. My 252/SCDR/250DR is supposed to be staying too… but that new NAP250 sounds like just the ticket for my Kudos Titan 606s. NAP300DR was never a realistic option as I can’t accomodate an extra box.

What to do…. what to do ???

1 Like

The NAP250.2 and 250DR both comfortably exceeded the power of the original 250 from which the name (Naim?) derived, but NAP250 they remained.

2 Likes

DITTO I am looking 997 Gen 2 or 991, if NAIM does not get there first !!

Along these lines, I was sort of curious when looking at the 250 sepcs. Don’t think Naim normally published the 4ohm specs but as you say the model was ~the 4ohm power, both channels driven. Looking at the new specs:

100 Watts 8 @0.1% THD+N (100W @0.1%)
190 Watts 4 @1% THD+N

The 190@ 4 ohms sounds great but is that really at 1% THD, not a typo? Rating power a 1%THD is a bit ridiculous, that’s what home theater receivers manufactures do, I wouldn’t expect this from a high end manufacturer.

Why I have to buy a streamer to use it only as preamp?
Basically I need an analog preamp as most of the owners of 282 and 252

1 Like

I guess you could pick up one of the existing analogue pre-amps and you might get a nice deal on an ex demo one at the moment, or else wait a bit and see what else might be coming along in due course.

Of course, you could also place an order today for a new NAC552 or Statement S1…

5 Likes

If you’re patient naim have already hinted at further new products here and via dealers……

5 Likes

I have an sn3 with HCDR and my streaming is via a Bluesound and Chord dac
The attraction for me would be to reduce down to a 2 box system from my current 4.

2 Likes

I’m out as the wife prefers the green logo so the hunt is still on for a pre loved 500DR :grin:

3 Likes

You’re A Very Naughty Boy! :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

In the same boat here as well. I will be demoing the new 250 as soon as they arrive at my local dealer. From the comments I have seen it seems like a substantial upgrade over the 250DR. Will it be a 300DR beater? Probably not. But like you I’m not interested in adding another box and two more burndies. Plus Used 300DR’s are rare in North America.

1 Like

Yes, it is possible to connect a NAP250 (of any generation) to the SuperNait 3

There are pre-amp outputs on the SN3. Connect these with the appropriate leads to the 250 input.

1 Like

Hi bruss, at 945 posts I’m sat here brimming with excitement. I’ve decided to sell the few old bits I listen to and simply start all over again…YAY! :partying_face::relaxed: Best Peter

6 Likes

For the time being! Since we now have a Series 2 and one product from Series 3, I was wondering if there’s a Series 1 in the offing and if this might incorporate new versions of the XS products. Perhaps a retread of the old NAC-N 172 XS might even be in there. But that would probably only make sense if there was a matching power amp. It’s fun to speculate and it’ll be fun to watch the rollout over the next couple of years.

Roger

1 Like

Epic thread, and nice to see the streaming preamp finally appear :partying_face:
I’m off to my local dealer tomorrow for a look and listen. I’m interested to see how it may fit with my current SN3 + NDX2

My initial thoughts being:

Add the new PSU to the NDX2
Add the new NAP to the SN3
Enter holding pattern till new 200 Series NAC’s arrive, or option to swop in the 222 to replace the SN3 and NDX2.
So many choices, I’ll give some notes on my findings tomorrow.

8 Likes

Looking forward to reading about your findings.

3 Likes

I’d give the XS range a year at most, Roger.

Before product launch many would have said “source first, that NDX2 needs a PSU” with two options of XPSDR or 555PSDR.

naim have made it easy for you with a single choice now :laughing:

And if you move later to 222 you can keep same PSU. Therein lies the advantage of the new naim approach to power supplies.

You might find you can suddenly get a very cheap BNIB or ex demo Hicap DR for your SN3.

1 Like

People may be forgetting, that its clear there will be a 300 Series… :crazy_face: :astonished: :thinking:

2 Likes

Hi Peter,
Best to sell your old system now and move with the times.
The only drawback is that it’s much harder to balance your glass of red wine on the 222’s volume knob than on the old S1’s :wine_glass: :wine_glass: :wine_glass:

Best regards from a fellow Luddite…

7 Likes