The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

@Richard.Dane i was hoping that someone may answer my question, hope you can help.
@110dB could you please clarify where in the Naim power supply heirachy the new power supply fits compared to the XPS DR and the 555 Ps for the NDX2. Thanks.

2 Likes

This is a big step forward for guys like me who are tired of accumulating a stack of boxes to eek out a little improvement in SQ. I expected the pricing to be higher but they donā€™t seem too bad.

The retail cost of 272/555/250DR is similar to the 222/300/250 and the latter should have better SQ and is likely better than the higher range separates. I also like the simplification of inputs. Most folks are done with vinyl/CD/etc and donā€™t need all these inputs. This is win for folks who want great SQ without the headaches of stacks of boxes.

11 Likes

ā€¦stone the heretic :grin:

17 Likes

I think the design is very successful, I like it. However, I miss a HDMI input and a MC preamplifier (as well as one or better two tape outputs, but I know that those days are over).

1 Like

My guess and itā€™s just a guess is that the refreshed 300 series will be separates

6 Likes

Quite. And he hasnā€™t even mentioned FM radio!

2 Likes

I wonder what the story is behind not including HDMI. My 272 doesnā€™t have it so itā€™s not like Iā€™ll miss it. I also wonder if weā€™ll see a higher range NSC this year? Thatā€™s worth waiting for imo.

Forgot about that one, another waste of space. :smiley:

You could always try mounting it vertically, if a cup holder is essentialā€¦ :rofl:

1 Like

Statement is so old hat. Pass anything you are dissatisfied with on to me. Iā€™ll even collect it to save you the trouble. :smiley:

4 Likes

I had one and got rid of it oddly enough, no appeal to go down that route, especially now.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t compared them as I only had a brief listen to the new PS when I was last down at the factory back in September last year. I would guess the answer may depend somewhat on what itā€™s powering although from what I gather itā€™s probably safe to say itā€™s definitely superior to the XPS DR, but beyond that I couldnā€™t really say.

2 Likes

My idea is to leverage on the new 250 and I think that it is supposed to be driven with balanced connection. The only question mark is: will naim develop new line preamps or the only offer will be a pre/streamer?

I very much doubt that the only offering will be a streamer/pre-amp.

10 Likes

See, I knew youā€™d be an ā€˜All heartā€™ type of guy :rofl: Best Peter

2 Likes

@Richard.Dane thank you.

More a case of when than if, although given how long this wait was we may be chatting about it a while :partying_face:

Perhaps the 300 is staying because itā€™s a popular match with the 552?

4 Likes

People suggesting these new products are aimed at new entrants - but even new entrants will have to think maybe more than twice at buying a ā€˜newā€™ 250 vs a half price used/ex dem 300DR, when (and I suspect I am on fairly solid ground in saying this) itā€™s clear that the 300dr beats it.

The 222 is a different case as it will clearly wipe the floor with a 272.

3 Likes

Just change the logos to white when they come out :wink:

1 Like