The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

We had a 250DR with speakers, now have the 300DR with same speakers.

Would we benefit from more expensive speakers? Perhaps, but they sound fabulous in our room. The move to 300DR just brought extra detail and control, especially at lower volume levels.

All good speakers which were candidates for a 250DR will be candidates for the new 250. The extra oomph of the amp, plus other changes, will just mean the amp has even more control over them increasing listening pleasure.

Speakers are after all a very personal choice, or weā€™d all end up with the same models.

Hi 110db,
I currently have a 272 and Stax Headphones and Energiser connected via the Line out. Can I do the same with the NSC 222?

I think I have seen that the 222 can power the Solstice style Phono Preampā€¦? Similar to the way the Aux2 set up - on the 252, 282 - can power a Stageline or Superlineā€¦?

1 Like

Thanks Richard, very kind.

Yes, Eddy currents can be an issue over 600A of power! (IIRC thatā€™s where eddy splits are mandatory in power distribution)

Enjoy the demo, I hope you like it.

1 Like

Think Iā€™ve read the housing on Powerline suppress eddy current.

Sorry Chris I missed your question (Iā€™ve been debugging logic circuits today)

To power the Solstice turntable from the NPX 300ā€¦remove Burndy from the NPX TT PSU and plug it into the NPX 300. Keep the NPX TT powering the NVC TT.

Hope that helps

5 Likes

I just noticed one of my supposedly CB units has an all black case. Weird unless Iā€™ve missed something simple or put the ā€˜boardā€™ in backwards!

1 Like

Yes, absolutely, this will fineā€¦unless the amp is a bridged amp!

1 Like

It would be different. There is no fixed line out on the NSC 222.
There is an RCA out but this is via the volume control. If you are happy with two volume controls it will will work (ergonomics arenā€™t that delightful with two volume controls)

What a day in the forum. Sitting enjoying my Naim kit getting answers and info from one of the guys who builds it.

Awesome 4 dimensional hobby experience! :smile:

Thanks @110dB for your time and input!

32 Likes

yes, and our interconnect housing have an eddy split; well spotted

2 Likes

What would be the shortest length of speaker cable say about 1 meter you could use.

Thanks Steve.

Itā€™s honest little touches/comments like this that I think make Naim ownership such a pleasure.

No PR bull just honest opinions from someone at the coalface so to speak.

AC

16 Likes

There was a review of the NAC 272 with ATC SCM 40A speakers by Jason Kennedy. Link to review found here.

A lot of favorable discussion on the old forum regarding this combination.

3 Likes

I downshifted over time from DBL + Olive 6-pack due to space and WAF issues. Landed on the atom with third party amp. Iā€™ve used the Atom as a streaming pre-amp due to it being the only option in the line up. Iā€™d wondered at this omission. Though the Atom offers incredible price- performance, the 222 should be an auto buy for my use case. The 250 looks like a great one and done option too. I personally love the aesthetic.

Question would be what kind of SQ upgrade I would get for this option given the significant jump in cost.

2 Likes

NAC
NAP
NPX
NSC
NVC

What do they all mean?

1 Like

I may have missed this in one of the thousand posts in this thread but is there new dac chip/technology in the new streamer-pre?

Great job Steve!

You might remember we met last August at HQ (Rob). I was with Jas in the dem room (listening to Statement) and you popped in for a chat. Further to that conversation I wonder now how 3 x new 250 driving my Kudos 808ā€™s compares to a single 500 passive. Might be a close run thing?

NAC is old Naim-speak, back to the ā€˜70s or ā€˜80s Naim Audio Control (amp).
NAP Naim Audio Power (amp), again very old abbreviation.
NSC I guessed above as Naim Streaming Control (amp)
NPX Naim Power X (as I said in an earlier post Iā€™d never worked out what the X in XPS was unless it was connected to the CDX etc range which it was launched to power).
Iā€™d hazard a guess that NVC is Naim Vinyl Control (amp), could easily be wrong.

4 Likes
2 Likes