The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

No, sorry the NVC TT cannot be powered by the NPX 300.
The NVC TT can only be powered the pre-amps with 8 pin DINs or the NPX TT PSU.

2 Likes

Steve
Thanks for clarifying

Your contribution is much appreciated by all

KR
R

4 Likes

Technically yes, but too imperceptible to detect.

It is more to do with how the amplifiers feedback is happy. The slightly longer cable is inductive around the 10MHz region where amps need to be critically stable.

ā€¦making an amp too stable makes the sound too boring.
Make it too close to instability itā€™ll sound hard, unpredictable and can overheat.

4 Likes

Thanks! So 6.5m naca5 is perfectly in the middle of that span then :wink:

Iā€™m exited by your contribution. Learning so much :pray:

1 Like

My memory may be failing, but the current streamers and new pre-steramer I believe only have 10/100 Mbps ethernet because these older interfaces are a) adequate for the job but b) and probably more important produce less electrical noise.

Avoidance of USB C may be for similar reasons, though I still feel most USB peripherals own and use will not be USB connector format.

I liked the Solstice look and obviously the new classic line follows many of those design cues. I showed my wife and she strongly disliked it, especially the Perspex bit in the middle. Like some others said earlier, maybe this is a design that appeals more to men?
Thankfully I completed my own old classic system in 2022, so no need to worry about new boxes and matching logos!
Good luck to Naim with the new classic range, I love the way the new and old can integrate. One of the reasons that I continue to buy Naim is that they support/upgrade legacy products so well. The new range just seems to reinforce that approach.

6 Likes

Late reply on that one (and your later explanations, on why the full integration is tricky for the streaming provider, device manufacturers and everybody involved); and I know itā€™s describing the situation since people started asking for the integration.

As a last post from my side on the topic: I would talk to the marketing people to change the text on the web page for the NSC 222, since this part can be easily misunderstood - both for people who did not read the same on the previous NP800 systems (hence expecting integration finally arrived) and for people not privy to such details, and expecting the ā€œApple Musicā€ part to work the same as the other services listed (which may lead to disappointment, unhappy customers, and - who knows in other regions of the world - material complains towards Naim:

ā€¦ any music you choose from Spotify Connect, Apple Music, TIDAL, TIDAL Connect, Qobuz, AirPlay 2, Chromecast, UPnPā„¢ servers, USB key, Roon Ready, and more.

On third reading, I know undertand it states ā€œmusic fromā€¦ā€ and not ā€œsupportingā€¦ā€, and thereā€™s the ā€œā€¦ and moreā€ - so it may be ā€œcorrectā€.
Though then you can also mention YouTube, Amazon, and anybody else. And itā€™s listed in between the 2 ā€œConnectā€ variants, which pretty obviously are implemented technical interfaces and not services as such.

Maybe just my personal perception and valuation of such statements. Just wanted to point it out (a final time).

3 Likes

@Richard.Dane

Trying to bring this topic back to the $64k question as they say

Excluding power supplies for the moment - 2 box count

NDX2/SN3 vs NSC222/NAP250 new

I would assume the latter for SQ???

4 Likes

Not so sure? Think DAC? And will depend a lot on what speakers?

Yep who knows garƧon

If no improvement in SQ why spend the extra amount ??

There will always be the arguement (by some) that it canā€™t/wonā€™t sound ā€œgoodā€ until youā€™ve maxed out the additional and optional PSUā€™s.
It should (especially considering the ā€œbareā€ cost) and being fairly similar in terms of footprint as two box systems, sound good without them being added, in either case. Youā€™d expect the new kit to have the edge over the SN3 + NDX2 but Iā€™d expect them to just sound different as opposed to being clearly better or worse.
It does give you a 2 or 3 box end game, that has an appeal for many as it has in the past with previous generations.

3 Likes

Maybe think NSC222 + NXT300 + active speakers :+1:

3 Likes

I am honestly so grateful to Steve here for his wonderful genuine support and answers Iā€™ve been looking for for a long time that I am nearly ready to give it a go for that reason alone:)

12 Likes

No, itā€™s simply misleading Iā€™d suggest, though undoubtedly well intentioned.

There is simply no simple way to send Apple Music to a Naim streamer in hi-res lossless without jumping through hoops. Airplay 2 offers lower quality but is still darned good.

Apple really should be ashamed as should Amazon when they advertise enhanced audio without simple ways to deliver it to 3rd party hardware at whatever level.

3 Likes

The 222 looks great and especially being a headphone and vinyl user ticks all the boxes for me. Very likely to buy this to replace up to 5! boxes in what would be my first system change for many years. Great stuff

3 Likes

I wish you hadnā€™t volunteered that even if there are reasonable practical explanations. :neutral_face:

It uses the same DAC chip as the ND5 XS2, a PCM1791A. The NDX2 uses the PCM1792A. Iā€™m not sure if the rest of the circuitry is similar to ND5 XS2, the same, or entirely different, but the DAC chip is the same as the XS level streamer. I would put money on the rest of the circuitry not being similar to the NDX2, Iā€™m pretty sure there isnā€™t the space in the box for it.

4 Likes

Personally not digging the styling, seems a bit fussy. But it will hopefully grow on me.

3 Likes

@jsaudio I grabbed these earlier, first is the ND5 XS2 DAC board, second is what I think is the DAC portion of the NSC 222, looks to me like it is mounted next to the vertically mounted MM board, under the NP800 streaming board. If thatā€™s the case then it looks like at the very least some repackaging has had to be done to get it to fit.

Of course this is exceedingly amateur investigation! And could be very wrong X) But my guess is that the DAC section is functionally similar to the ND5 XS2, if not identical, but has had to be repackaged.

(now with the pictures!)

4 Likes

(Took the Atom HE thread about 4 months to hit 1.2k posts. The Solstice thread just less than a month. And this one just over a day!)

5 Likes