The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Trent 900’s…

Many thanks for your reply. It’s very useful information for me to make a decision.

I like to conduct things in a brisk efficient manner :wink:

1 Like

I wanted to ask that, having thought that old ps as Xpsdr or 555 dr could not power the 222.
So good news for some.
I wonder how will compare the 555 dr vs 300 px on the 222.

1 Like

I think you will find that the UK price is quoted with VAT included and the US and Canada prices are quoted without taxes. That would be consistent with previous stated prices, and yes it does make the Canadian/US prices way over the top and perhaps not competitive for many of us.

3 Likes

Unfortunately it’s a sign of the times in my recent experience. Management have a price on their head and have to push their agenda through. Technical staff and heads don’t usually like this and vote with their feet. It’s the same in all industries unfortunately.

9 Likes

According to Signals UK

"We were played the new two box system into a pair of substantial Focal Maestro Utopia Evoke loudspeakers in their massively revamped demo room. Showing great confidence, this was matched against a NAC 552 DR / NAP 500s DR fronted by NDX2 + XPS DR. Steve Sells gave us a run-down of what will be coming out in a white paper very soon. This is a fundamental ground-up redesign. Quite a big story, in our humble opinion.

In case you’re worried, yes, the 500 kit is still ahead, thankfully, but this new 250 drove the Utopias with far more aplomb than seemed reasonable. As I write, we are playing the same two boxes ice cold into some Dynaudio Confidence 60s in our big space and it sounds really rather impressive. Power supply is warming up and we’ll add it in soon. No sense of ‘need’ for it, though.

All good! :slightly_smiling_face:"

13 Likes

Though I guess it depends on their ages/opportunities and the pandemic has pushed many to consider retirement os a simplified working life a lot earlier.

2 Likes

Oh, if so the differences will be even greater :scream:

I think the look is amazing: keeps track with the classic line but adds new stile.
It’s not clear to me if the NPX replaces hicap / supercap, XPS or both as is written can support NSC 202 and also NDX2, but also that supercap and hicap will be discontinued.
this means that NPX will be able to feed also pure amplifiers, if any?

3 Likes

True, but the XS series continues with green, and looks to continue for some time according to the communication. If it’s all going white then the 2 gen XS should have been given white light logos ?

In the dust? :wink:

1 Like

I might be in the minority but the new look, particularly the NS222, does not suit my eye. That massive volume knob looks awful. Is there any balance control?
However, with audio products the proof of the pudding is in how good it sounds so I won’t write them off just yet. I just won’t be rushing to listen to them.

10 Likes

Nice to see Naim continuing with XLR.
An NSC222 into some active ATC’s sounds ideal to me!

Tempting…

4 Likes

Yup. I recognise that. Doesn’t make it right or good, though.

1 Like

Same here, but I guess it would be large covered up in a hifi rack.

Is it a true balanced signal or single ended via xlr?

How was the tea and sandwiches :joy:

222 seems to be missing an HDMI port, or is WISA supported?

1 Like

This would have been in the mid to late “naughties” during the trials. Our office was on the SE side of Toulouse. It would be flying low, and us Brits would always stop and look at it (our French colleagues would just laugh - they’d seen it so many times…). A mightily impressive aircraft.

3 Likes