The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

So am I dolstein - not holding my breath though !!

To my curiosity Steve the analog stage of the 222 has been totally reworked compared to the one which is in the classic line 282 and 252?

Ps: let me give you my congrats for what you created in the Superline, a real unrivalled masterpiece. Thanks a lot

1 Like

Yes but you would need a special interconnect to do it.

1 Like

The difference is that the New NAP250ā€™s XLR inputs are balanced, so you could not use the existing single-ended NAP135/300/500 cables.

2 Likes

Yes, and congrats from me as well!

Richard

I suppose it is just a question of time before the European Union, just like it did with Apple, forces Naim to supply one single universal cable to be used in all its units.:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Iā€™m a bit like you Mike and @Pete_the_painter re preamp/streamer combo- not sure

So I guess the big question is

NDX2/252 vs NSC 222 re SQ ??

I would assume the former by a significant margin but Iā€™m a novice in this department ?

Cheers

Bevo

3 Likes

I think the very best we could expect, taking into account advances in design, is that the 3 box stack betters an ndx2 282 hc 250dr combo. If it sounds better than a 252/300 the waiting lists may run to years!

For me, if it is comparable to the former then a 222 and 300 into my active 40s would be very tempting

1 Like

It will be interesting to see where an integrated fits in the New Classic range. A 300 level, SUPERNAIT 300 would be good.

Looking at the specs of the NPX300 PSU, a SUPERNAIT 300 with the option of a NPX300 upgrade via a Type 3 cable, could provide the traditional Naim upgrade path of adding an external supply for the pre-amp section.

Youā€™ve then got a high performing two box integrated or a stepping stone to the NAC 3XX and separate NAP.

PS @NoNaim . Fantastic news all round. Wishing you good health and good listening :clinking_glasses:

2 Likes

The other big question is NDX2/SN3 vs NSC222/NAP250 (new or old).

6 Likes

I would guess you are correct Bevo. However, future releases will undoubtedly challenge your 252 based system. That said I am happy to stick where I am tbh.

Indeed Secrethills - with you on that one some 200 lines ago ha

Iā€™m thinking of jumping into streaming but itā€™s now getting a bit confusing for an ageing novice like me :crazy_face:

No doubt Stuart my long suffering Naim dealer of almost 40 years will keep me on the right track

1 Like

Thank you so very much, for your kind words. :blush:

2 Likes

I jumped just one year ago and now wonder why I didnā€™t get into streaming sooner. There might be a few NDX2s and XPSs appearing on the used market over the next few months that might tempt youā€¦

1 Like

Donā€™t you already have a nDac @Bevo? The best value option is probably just adding the ND5 XS2 as a transport between your Core and nDac, otherwise a NDX2 in place of the nDac for fewer boxes. When the 300 streamer is launched, there should be could buys on used, or discontinued, NDX2s and this would be a great value option to go with the excellent 252.

3 Likes

So kind of you, to send me your good wishes :blush:

1 Like

Stop confusing me young fella ha :flushed::flushed:

2 Likes

Iā€™m inclined to agree with that suggestionā€¦

With a nDAC in the house, adding a ND5 XS2 is a viable option.

And a further step to add a PSU to the nDAC later.

3 Likes

Absolutely. After adding the SCDR to my system, Iā€™ve realised the huge potential of the SN3 to be improved further by a better PSU (than the HCDR).

3 Likes