The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

I kinda dissagree…it is mighty fine piece of engineering (500)…but everthing is a compromise I am sure…an improved psu could be developped etc etc…but at the end of the day the current 500 sounds really great…so even if it were improved…I for one would still be happy. When I look at the crystal ball I recon class D amps will get better and better…it is still early days…and thanks to Bruno Putz I think there is a bright future…

Cannot wait to hear Todd on the new 222 and 300. In fact just sent for Space Force cd, which I have listened to a lot via Quboz. :+1:

Glad to hear you have just received the all clear. You must be one of the few here to have the new proton beam treatment. Is that the same as Cyber Knife?

Music got me through 5 months of waiting between initial referral and surgery. Enjoy your wonderful new system.

Phil

1 Like

…in the current state of this World I shall very much hang on to that :+1:t3:
Of course everything can be improved upon Rich, my point was that the 552 is to me more so the weak link in comparison to the 500DR. ATB Peter

1 Like

I’m looking forwards to it as well but am only up to D so far (doing it alphabetically). Next up is Donna Summer’s Love to Love You (album version) and I Feel Love (12” version).

To be honest, I haven’t heard any of Todd’s later stuff and have only got all his seventies albums (a hi res download collection).

Thank you for your kind wishes. As for the type of treatment, I cannot comment. I used to lay there on the machine and think of England :blush:

1 Like

I think you are right…the 552 is a slight weak link…I think itccould do with taking out the alps pot and using a propper ladder contoller…

3 Likes

Of course, the new boxes are absolutely nothing compared to clearing the ugly disease but such a brilliant joyful way to mark and celebrate the new lease of life! Enjoy!

3 Likes

Thank you so very much, for your kind words.

I would give the album Runddans a miss, or at the very least stream it before purchase :blush:

Does not seem to have an optical out?

I reckon a (roughly) half-height box, à la XS series is more likely. As someone who started with XS CD player and amp, I think a pre/streamer and matching power amp could make a good entry point into a separates system and allow for easy progression up the range.

Roger

So, here is a question If I change a 272 and and external power supply to the new Classic 222 and 300, should I change my current 300DR for the New Classic 250 ?

Looking at performance and having had a demo, can those cleverer than me on here, tell me what I am losing other than a box!

3 Likes

I think the introduction of balanced connection among pre and power amp is the biggest change in this new range. For this reason nac 282, 252, hicap and supercap will be discontinued.
Sources connectors are still Din and rca, no balanced connectors, so the system is not be fully balanced, but let’s see new models that will come! There will be also balanced sources with xlr connections among sources and pre? This would be a game changer and would let naim systems become fully balanced

Having recently bought a 272, I’m curios to know whether the new 222 (bare) is better, SQ wise, than a 272+555DR.

2 Likes

So planning on dropping a deposit a NC250 next week to go with my 282…but of course the actual cost to enter the new classic power amp world is over £6k with legacy cables. I wonder if there is a workaround elsewhere?

@110dB Hi Steve, I was so intrigued by this I took a hacksaw to my NACA5 cables to have a look but in mine but the conductors appear to have been forced together - do you think I have wired them back to front?.

:wink: Only kidding this was some rather malformed NACA5 cable that my excellent dealer quickly replaced as I was concerned with the increased capacitance.

I can certainly vouch for the electromagnetic forces on conductors. During the late 70s I was a test engineer for a marine switchgear company and we undertook primary current injection testing of circuit breaker overloads with a 10KA variable transformer. At anything over 2 KA the multiple 120mm sq. cables would writhe around like fitting Anacondas and loose washers would leap to the cables and dance on their edge.

3 Likes

How long was each session approx and how many days? I had cyberknife and it was 5 days only (rather than 20-30 days) of approx 30-40 mins (vs 5 mins of 20-30 days).

Apologies off topic.

It was less than 5 minutes per session and for a course of 20,

1 Like

Helpfully we know the Type 3 provides two regulated feeds suitable for an analogue pre amplifier. A HicapDR on steroids. naim have already indicated R&D/NPI teams have a strategy to use the NPX300 for all future full case boxes.

One can envisage a future integrated, SN300? say, which has mains fed power amplifier with option to add NPX300 on the pre. An improved SN3 including all the tricks naim have learnt building 222/250.

One can also envisage a future pre amplifier, 382? say, which functions like the current 282. Needs the NPX300 for the 22V feeds and could also use type 4 socket in place of NAPSC. So that all aligns in the stars. Probably use the MM phono card from 222.

naim don’t (currently) sell a separate DAC. Would either of the new integrated or pre amplifier include a 222 style DAC section (a la SN1)? Consumer friendly, type 4 socket there for power/upgrade. Mass market appeal - 1 or 2 box options and can stick your PC/telly/Sky into it via optical or maybe USB. USB less likely since it’s not been added to 222 so streaming boards (to date) don’t support USB to DAC connectivity.

What is far less clear to me is the plan for the 252 replacement, if any (perhaps the 382? will be so good one isn’t required). SuperCap offers far more analogue power feeds than type 3. It could just be like the 252/282 upgrade internally - higher component matching spec, isolated boards, suspension, maybe you lose the DAC?/MM phono? from 382? to make it a pure analogue box.

Interesting times.

3 Likes