The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

keep strong

1 Like

Sure
Agreed

Maybe their product roadmap allows for a HC replacement, that fits with the new approach to universal PSU connectivity.

Also, the next iteration of SN3 will see introduction of same universal connection for one or many PSU options ???

Just speculatingā€¦

KR
R

Youā€™d anticipate moving forwards they would design any new products to utilise either Type 3 or Type 4 Burndy connectors, like the 222 does.
One for analogue and one for digital circuits.
The audio signal doesnā€™t loop through any external PSU either with the new architecture. Steve (Sells) did refer to this and the earthing arrangement further up this thread. Heā€™ll know a lot more about it than me itā€™s fair to say, having been the lead design authority.
Thereā€™s also a number of legacy cable arrangements that have been defined and will be made available. There will be a percentage of connections and system options that can only be handled by existing products.
The feedback I got from Steve on one of my questions in this thread being their goal was to achieve broad interoperability and reduced complexity. Heā€™s also hinted the new PSU sits somewhere between the existing XPS and 555PS from a performance and capabilities perspective so should tick most boxes moving forwards down to say a Supernait level of product.
Below that, anytjimg cheaper/simpler may not have the PSU options of old designed in to them, along the lines of what we already see in the Uniti range with its limited expansion options.
Thereā€™s certainly a good 5-10 years of further R&D and product launches ahead in the transition between the old and new portfolios.

1 Like

True but a SN4 owner isnā€™t going to or shouldnā€™t be expected to buy a 5700 gbp PSU

3 Likes

Sure
Itā€™s more about universal use / uniformity. Which is desirable for both a manufacturer and a system builder.

Anyway, just speculating.

Upgrading is about diminishing returns, which is an unfortunate and ex[ensive reality. Whether the sum needed to get to the next level is a good value or not is totally subjective. For me, the price of upgrading my Star to the 222/300 is worth it, for people with more sense than me probably not.

4 Likes

Agree with that sentimentā€¦
I suppose it depends on your current position.

If anyone were - say - NDX2 + any PSU ā†’ 252 + SC (or higher) and at your ā€œend gameā€ solution, then the New Classic items are maybe less interestingā€¦ ???

As has been said several times already - by others - just because a New Classic line is coming along doesnā€™t distract from the great Classic / Olive / CB solution already enjoyed :+1:

4 Likes

I certainly wouldnā€™t and Iā€™ve owned all the Supernaits and a few HiCapā€™s over the years :partying_face:

I can only theorise and speculate like the rest of us, they may well do a 3 tier PSU approach longer term, a simpler and cheaper one with only a single output on it and a fancier one that can do what a 555PS does but with extra power management and smarts under the hood.

1 Like

What if SN4 also costs ā€¦ Ā£5700? Itā€™s a nice round figure?:slight_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s sounding like thatā€™s not the case and the 222 is quite a bit better than some would like to admit.

Perhaps Naim will drop the possibility of a PS upgrade for the SN replacement, if there is one. After all, they did that when the ND5 XS morphed into the ND5 XS2.

I think the issue is sharper for a 282 replacement, assuming there is one. If that needs a NDX 333 to function, the cheapest pre/power setup is likely to be north of Ā£17k in the UK. Thatā€™s a heck of a jump from a SuperNait and may impact on possible upgrade paths. Iā€™d be sure Naim have no intention of shooting themselves in the foot, so I reckon weā€™ve only seen the tip of the iceberg as far as new product is concerned. Itā€™s going to be fascinating to watch over the next few years.

Roger

2 Likes

Hold on (tight), for the ride :wink:

50 years young and plenty to look forward to. The great thing is that as a manufacturer they are supportive of products spanning almost the entirety of their history and continue to adapt and innovate. Good things take time to get right, the wait is almost certainly worth it. If the first steps with the new 200 Series are anything to measure from weā€™re in for an exciting couple of years ahead and some new chapters in our system journeys to get excited about and discuss with enthusiasm.

2 Likes

I would have thought that the path naim need to follow would be something like -

Statement level streamer - If you can drop the coin for a pre/power then at the moment you have to go else where for your digital music.

500 series - The 552 pre is well over due an update/replacement and a top level integrated maybe of interest for those wishing to ā€œdownsizeā€.

300 series - We know there are new 3xx products to be released (i canā€™t see naim just having a psu at this level & I hope there is a preamp/streaming pre with balanced inputs).

Uniti range may well benefit from trickle down tech from higher level products, so is there a need entry level separates (in the real world not just forum land)

Just throwing this out there.

2 Likes

Well if the UK is the core Market of Naim not sure thatā€™s a viable proposition

Naim do encourage this electronic Lego building approach to hi fi ownership and experience hence I hope my questions and concerns about valid

The Hicap DR is / was one of the major pieces of the Naim ownership experience

1 Like

I wonder if the 333 streamer will be like the 222 in that it can be self-powered or use the 300?

1 Like

Naim 500: My hope/guess is that this be a major announcement later in this anniversary year. I agree the 552 update is longer overdue and the 222 features some improvements that are ahead of the 552 (volume control vs Alps!?!!, balanced out).

The pending updates I think will cannibalize the 282/252/552 sales until there is more clarity. I am hoping the 500 update will come sooner than later. Coming from Olive 52/SC/250 my next step was a 552 and 500 and I just put that order on hold - too much uncertainty to order a 500 level system new at this time!

Very interesting and promising updates of the Classic range and looking forward to the full Anniversary year!

4 Likes

Classic NDX2+SN3+PSUs = Ā£16.2k (list price) or NDX2+282+250DR +PSUs = Ā£22.1k (list price).
The first new classic offering appears to offer decent value in comparison providing you donā€™t have a plethora of sources. Looking forward to hearing new gear hopefully shortly.

3 Likes

They still do. Just with a more simplified approach.

A good move.

5 Likes

I agree it is a good move. Many of us have hoped that Naim can survive by integrating or simplifying their range, but still holding on to the Naim sound quality. If this is the start of that process It can only be applauded. (Of course I say this having not heard the sq of the new kit).

2 Likes