The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Still the biggest part of naim sq upgrades in my experience have been separation of power from the fine electronics. A naked 222 will compromise on this having a big transformer close to the DAC, Streamer, Pre.

2 Likes

In this price range in my opinion these new pieces from Naim are good options. You will be able to buy them at less than full retail or some states with no tax. So even with tax the three would run $25-28k, not cheap by any means but a very nice rig. So what are the ā€œmore reasonable options for that moneyā€? In the USA maybe McIntosh since it is domestically produced but that is a totally different sound, I know thatā€™s my upstairs system (with a Lumin streamer).

2 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s true and there is only one way to find out.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got ND5 XS2 with SN3 + HC, I listened to NSC222/NAP250/NPX300 yesterday, only been powered for 1 day, and sounds significantly better.

5 Likes

Like 11 000 EUR better? :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Beat me to it :+1:t2::partying_face:

Nap 500 passive beats Nap 300 and Nap 135 activeā€¦

I donā€™t think there will be a new statement. Consider the name. It probably took so much R&D and many many years to develop that system how can they just improve on it easily.

The new 500 series will be improved upon but it will include lessons learned from the statement in a more affordable package. I think to say theyā€™ll just develop a new statement is underestimating what the statement is.

4 Likes

Theyā€™ve yet to do a Statement level digital source. I get your point though, Statement has been around a while now but still benefiting even new products like the 222 from a features perspective.
Plenty to keep us thinking and listening for many years to come on a positive note.

I think people really need to lose this FOMO. Enjoy whatever you have. A new product may or may not suit your system. A new lineup of products doesnā€™t necessarily mean you need to dispose of the last. Iā€™ve recently purchased a 552DR without a care in the world about a replacement, why? Because itā€™s the best frigin preamp Iā€™ve ever heard and I donā€™t care if the next one is 30 percent better at 30percent more money. My system will still be sounding amazing and Iā€™m comfortable with how much Iā€™ve spent on it.

40 Likes

:smirk: thatā€™s a question I canā€™t answer for you, however, the difference is enough to make me look at my finances. The guy I went with to listen has ordered a NAP250 and is going to use his aethos as a preamp until a dedicated 200 series preamp arrives

1 Like

Likewise :+1:t2::partying_face:

1 Like

Well said

The Hicap is as iconic as the Nap 250 as far as Iā€™m concerned

Until recently the 250 required a Hicap anyway for the preamp

So I hope thereā€™s a Hicap replacement or the Hicap Dr keeps going as itā€™s needed for nait XS and Supernait

To discontinue the Hicap without a replacement would be somewhat too much a a change for me personally

4 Likes

Interesting feedbackā€¦
Thatā€™s really useful, for me and my own HiFi journey.
Youā€™ve just nailed the key question (for me).
Thanks for sharing :+1:

The mix Iā€™m keenest to try out is the new NAP 250 on my SN3. I dabbled with the idea of adding a NAP a few times but never got round to it, this might persuade me however.
It would also be interesting to hear it swopped in to a system with a previous generation 250, driven by a 252 or 282 for example.

8 Likes

:laughing:

I donā€™t know if youā€™ve seen this, Steve S posted a few days ago.

3 Likes

Theyā€™ll likely build them for years to come but on demand and likely with long leadtimes, certainly given the capacity to manufacture and priorities they have with their current manufacturing facility.
Iā€™ve visited the factory in Salisbury like many others here, itā€™s a small site with highly skilled hands working in it but has a finite ability to scale inevitably.
Things made by hand and to order bring quality but at a price in terms of cost and time to deliver.
Youā€™ll probably see a modest stock of key items in the dealer network and a low cycle of ex demo kit like usual. I imagine the dealers will focus on the wow factor boxes like the new stuff and Uniti Nova/Atom.

1 Like

One would sure hope so, the new combo is over double the cost of what youā€™re comparing it to. If it wasnā€™t significantly better, Naim is doing something wrong :wink:

Here in Canada the new 3 piece combo is basically the same price as a NDX2/282/HCDR/250DR. Given the improvements in design/new tech/trickle down tech. It shouldnā€™t be too much of a surprise if the new combo betters this level. And obviously significantly better then all the lower level options, as it should be given the price.

2 Likes

Thanks

The fact is the new PSU is really expensive and not price compatible or compatible at all with a Supernait 3

There will have to be a Hicap DR replacement I hope ?