The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

That’s interesting b/c I didn’t find them to be that close in sonics. Was this an official statement from Naim?

I seem to remember reading it on this Forum. I can’t find chapter and verse, unfortunately.

Yeah, well there tends to be a lot of speculation on the forum which is why I asked.

The NDX2 was no way a replacement to the far superior NDS, only IMHO of course having owned same… :-1:

2 Likes

The statement (pardon the pun) came from someone at Naim Audio. It wasn’t speculation by a user.

Here’s one view from a respected poster. Perhaps this is what you recall?

2 Likes

Yes, that’s it!

1 Like

Ok, that makes sense, not really saying they’re that close in sonics, it’s more to do with the pricing scheme/position in the range.

Hi @Orac , I’m glad I’m not the only one wondering about this. Hopefully we’ll get the insights. Are you thinking about a similar upgrade?

No, the ND555 replaced the NDS.

From Naim’s product history page

3 Likes

Looking at the timeframe and inside tech it to me looks like ND555 took the best from NDS and NDX2 dev and put it inside the same box. Streaming board and display from NDX2 and digital/analogue from NDS.

3 Likes

So the NDS is closer to the ND555 in all the right places :wink:

1 Like

Hi @Marty_SF
No not really at the moment as I have just in the last few months changed my electronics to new classic including power supply and in the last two weeks the speakers to kudos Super20A. Essentially everything except speaker cables and gaia3 feet. I did wait 3-4 months between the electronics and the speakers to give the units a chance to settle before changing the speakers. Must confess what I’m hearing now is very good, at least to my ears in my room, and expect it to improve a bit more as the speakers settle. I did do a home trial with fully burnt in speakers of the same model. Even tried the Kudos Titans 606. Sadly they were a tad expensive as at today and possibly too large for the tight space I have for speakers, but never say never.
In summary I am happy where I am but when the new boxes have been out for some time I might look again. Not in any rush will depend on deals and if I have spare finance.

2 Likes
15 Likes

Thanks for posting the video @mech

The interesting part for me, was Jason saying that having done the listening test, a NAC 332 on it’s own (using the internal power supply) was a substantial improvement on a NAC 282 with 2 x HiCaps.

He then goes on to say that adding the NPX 300 Power Supply to the NAC 332 enables it to exceed the performance of a NAC 252 + SuperCap.

These are his views, and potential purchasers (like myself) can make up their own mind after demoing different options, though personally I trust and highly value his opinion.

9 Likes

At the risk of just responding to a post with “I agree”

…I agree :smiley:

Interesting video and views, I felt it worth a watch for sure

2 Likes

lol. “I agree” also…
Of course I want to listen but for me it’s pretty clear I see a NAC 332 in my future. I do wish he would have shown the NAC 332 connected to a SN3.

5 Likes

The 332/300 costs roughly the same as a 252/Supercap, and with about 20 years between the two you’d rather hope the 332/300 was very much better. It would be pretty poor if that wasn’t the case.

8 Likes

Isn’t the 332 lacking a few DIN inputs compared with a 252? I use five of them on my 252 - LP12/Urika, nDAC, NAT02, Headline, and Tape/record out. Obviously with a 332 I don’t need the Headline, but that still leaves me one short, given that “DIN is preferred over RCA”

Based off the video I do wonder how a NDX2 sounds with the NPX 300 Power supply.

4 Likes