The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

So, marketing in action. Still, on three more threads there are no +/- between nsc222 and atom HE. I read the short technical difference from Naim stuff. Should I replace my atom HE with nsc222? Didn’t hear one, tough. :frowning:

1 Like

222 is a much better pre amp than the atom he. I compared them both when I had the 222 on loan

2 Likes

Sorry if you’ve seen this already, but in case it’s of some help and saves some typing:) - my first home audition of the 222 against the HE.

Since then I’ve slightly changed my mind and after a second home audition decided to buy the 222 - so I now have both. And enjoy both equally.

Of course, first and foremost, the HE looks better to me (in fact looks perfect and only rivaled by the Nait2 if you ask me:)!

The 222 does sound slightly better and also has an extra analogue input and a very good phono, as well as the PSU upgradeability. Oh, and the automation with the NC250. May depend on how much these are important to you.

3 Likes

Yes although disappointingly they didn’t review the effect of the NPX300 on the new pre-amplifier which probably offers a significant improvement of the sound. Naim has historically touted the benefit of separate power supplies for its 300/500 classic range (now abandoned in the new NAP350 which returns to the 135 stable! Perhaps a four box NAP350 power amplifier would have been too much).

The review seems to conclude an incremental improvement from the older 300 series using words like ‘subtle’ and ‘a little more warmth’ so perhaps not quite as dramatic wording as the DR upgrades evoked in their time…

1 Like

Only @garcon have compared I think to remember.

1 Like

There is also the post by @JayJ in the thread „Suggestions for Naim Uniti Atom versus Atom HE“ (Click here)

1 Like

Is anyone going the the Naim demo at Ashdown House Hotel on the 12th?
Maybe all forum members could wear green.
Lovely venue and would be great to meet a few fellow travellers

1 Like

Surely it’s white now?

2 Likes

Perhaps just wear a Naim badge.

1 Like

Thank You!:pray:

1 Like

You got badges?

1 Like

We dont need no stinkin’ badges

3 Likes

Humphrey Bogart……classic👍

1 Like

Hi Nigel - are you up and running yet? Obviously you had a good demo of the NC 200 series and liked it. Am aware of your previous gear and new circumstances. Can you share some thoughts, and, wonder if you might be able to provide some advice as I can only do a blind purchase. Recently sold my NDS - left with 555DR/282/HC/250DR. Thinking about either getting an NDX2, or, 222/NC250 teamed up with the 555DR ps ie. getting rid of 282/HC/250DR. Many thanks.

FWIW…
Thinking NDX2 + 555ps → 282 + HC → 250DR would take some beating, compared with NC200 items. (Unless you wish to reduce to just 2 or 3 boxes)

From what I’ve seen and heard recently, maybe consider stretching to add 333 and 332 instead, which is more likely to offer audible improvements.

So, using two new 300 pieces with two of your existing items : 333 + 555ps → 332 → 250DR.

Food for thought

Good luck

KR
R

3 Likes

Having listened to 300 series 332, 333 with NPX300 and 2 x 350s. I think using an NC250 and a 555PS with 333 would be very very good.

300 stuff too far for me (cost). Cost-wise it will be the same pretty either getting an ndx 2 or selling what I have for the 222/250NC (with my 555DR). It’s just which way to go. I must say that I found the nds/555/282/hc/250dr a bit too shouty and forward at times and needed to turn down. Bit concerned that this could be even worse with an ndx2 - when I bought the nds I compared it with an ndx which i found very harsh. People seem to say the NC is less fatiguing. I dunno.

1 Like

@Django84 Without obviously hearing your system, but owning an NDX2 and having previously owned a 282, I would ascribe your description more to the 282/HC than the NDS (which I don’t think I’ve seen described a “shouty” - a good descriptor! - and I don’t recall that myself on the few occasions I got to hear one). Just informational for you.

Just set up the new NC200 system. I’ll need to listen for a good few hours as I can hear things improving over the first hour.

3 Likes

FWIW, I found the same with my NDS/555DR/282/HiCap …. it sounded harsh on occasions at least to me. Things improved enormously once I changed to a Supercap DR.

1 Like