The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

@110dB just curious. In your testing did you ever use the XPSDR or 555PS on the 332? Or was it just with the NPX300. Thanks.

Iā€™m fairly confident not as thought they were PSUs for streamers rather than pre-amps. Good question.

During development only the NPX300 was used for NAC 332 bring up and tuning.

6 Likes

The synchronising inter-product communication wires between the NSC 222 and the NPX 300 run down the larger Burndy (digital).

If two NPX 300 are used the second 300 feeding the analogue circuits would not have synchronised standby and LED brightness, otherwise it works. The power button would have to be pressed manually. Technically this does not meet the 20 min auto-off requirements and hence we we canā€™t recommend. Some will like and keep the system set to ā€˜auto-onā€™.

2 Likes

Thanks! May be fun to try the 555PS on the 332.

Still canā€™t get over how much lower the noise level is on the 250.3 so maybe the NPX will be the same way vs the Classic Power supplies.

1 Like

Just read the Whathifi review of the 222. They say that now the new classic sound has less character than before, is more neutral and crisp.
From the review: ā€œ The Naimā€™s presentation is clean and crisp, and we suspect a little less characterful than the companyā€™s previous efforts. No longer do aspects such as rhythmic drive dominate the proceedings, although by general standards the NSC 222 remains capable in this area. This is a more balanced performer than weā€™ve come to expect; one that feels more comfortable working with a wider range of products, and if desired, outside of the Naim ecosystemā€.

Does it mean that the prat is a bit diminished or that the sound is less focused on it?

I think it just means that the reviewer had to find something vaguely different to say in the review. I wouldnā€™t take any notice of it personally.

9 Likes

Itā€™s an opinion. I think what the reviewer is trying to say is that the rhythmic drive is still very much there but is no longer the dominating aspect, that it has other talents that deserve just as much attention.

Interesting that it was used without a Naim power amp, but then maybe that was the point, to show that it can be used effectively that way, either as just a source or as a source and pre-amp, and doesnā€™t depend on being part of a full Naim system with Naim power amp to shine.

3 Likes

Another review said the exact opposite. Where the Classic was deemed a neutral departure from Naim and New Classic back to the sound signature of older generations.

Itā€™s just a review. And to some degree ā€œexcellentā€, ā€œgoodā€, ā€œaverageā€, and ā€œbadā€ are the only words that matter. Itā€™s hard to describe sound and I donā€™t think hifi reviewers manage that any better than people on the forum.

We all imagine slightly different things when someone says a sound is ā€œbrightā€, ā€œdarkā€, ā€œsoftā€ etc.

I went from an all Naim system to a mix of Linn streaming preamp and NC NAP250.
The confidence in performance and flexibility of the NAP250 is a strong aspect of its abilities overall.
Whenever Iā€™d heard a 200 Series demo (usually mandatory 3 box setup, despite a desire to hear it as a 2 box system) I had that lingering impression that the NAP250 was the box in charge and the others weā€™re being told to keep up, Iā€™d certainly be keen to hear what it does when fed by a NAC332 and that still feels preferable to going the NSC222 route.
Iā€™d expect that combo to be popular, even in naked, sans NPX guise and one would imagine likely to sit favourably with a wide range of digital sources, I can see myself doing that and just making my DSM a source, hooking up the XLRā€™s and happy days!

1 Like

Thereā€™s another review of the 222 in Audiophilia site. But I found it pointless. He found the Aavik and AGD streamers clearly better, but costing much much more. He concluded that the 222 is very good for the price.

3 Likes

Interesting the comparison to the Edge NQ

1 Like

Yes , I found too. The reviewer said the Edge is more open and refined vs the 222.

Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m doing now with my 222/250 combo. I figured Iā€™d enjoy the 2 box upgrade plenty and at some point I can add the NPX300 and indulge my system with another upgrade.

1 Like

The distinction I was making here being an ability to demo multiple configurations at a dealer, they all seemed determined to only show the 200 Series as a 3 box system.
Admittedly this was early on after initial launch but it felt like Naim could have done a better job managing migration/evolution scenarios including making their special legacy cables available for that purpose.
It felt like dealers had an all or nothing view on what the new series offered whereas inevitably many will be migrating towards it over time and with a mix of older generations and new along the way.
It certainly contributed to my own frustrations and subsequent trade ins and change of direction.
Thankfully the changes have proved positive but it has also seen me investing
further in my Linn DSM in a way Iā€™d not previously anticipated doing.

1 Like

The NC demo with my dealer back in January was more of a laddered approach and was great at showing me the various stages of progress. We started with the bare Nova (all I had at the time) paired with the same speakers I have to ā€œget my ear inā€ so to speak, then we added the NC 250, then we swapped the Nova for the 222, finally we then changed up the speakers (although I didnā€™t get on with that part of the proposed path, long story).

Anyway, I guess my point is that my dealer (along with many others, Iā€™m sure) was able to show me a sequential pathway rather than just the destination and I was grateful for that. (Another mention/recommendation for David at Sound Organisation in York - great guy.)

9 Likes

I wonder whether Naim might consider selling those units that can use an external power supply as a package with that PS but without the internal PS? That should make it a little cheaper. It always seemed a bit wasteful to have a box with an unused PS in it.

3 Likes

That effectively makes 2 products, different certifications, different build and test sequences and thatā€™s just the basics, making two slightly different versions of the same thing inevitably makes both of them more expensive.
This was always the appeal of what Iā€™ve been able to do with my Selekt DSM, itā€™s entirely modular and can be repurposed as required.

1 Like

Can you comment on what technical features of Naim systems contribute to the unique Naim sound signature, and say how that has evolved in the new generation of Naim products that are being developed?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a great question, and one Iā€™ve wondered about - how do Hifi manufacturers explicitly engineer things to retain, or evolve, a ā€œhouse soundā€

I suspect itā€™s a function of all sorts of things, and particularly I suspect a bit of uncertainty and trial and error.

Iā€™ve held off from asking, as itā€™s almost like asking what the secret ingredients of a great recipe are, and I donā€™t expect to be told that other than very high level terms: component choice, circuit design, internal layout (in the context of HiFi, not a great recipe :wink: )

Be fascinated by any response :slight_smile:

1 Like