The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

Nope, will leave till mid next year when I’m 65, unless there is a naim distributor miracle. Kiwisaver is locked up till then!

1 Like

Between NZ$15 and $30 K for the two streaming preamps I tired. The much more expensive one has a machined metal chassis and their very expensive Organik DAC. The latter is utterly world class.

1 Like

@IDAK

Just looking at UK price list for the new classic NSS 333 streamer and NAC 332 preamp, and doing a quick conversion ( and based on 200 series prices), I’m thinking the retail price for those two components will be in the region of $18k-$19k Aus

2 Likes

Quite the premium, a straight price conversion based on UK retail (£7900) brings you to just over $15k AUD per product. That’s an additional £1500-2000 per product roughly over what I’d be paying here in the UK based on your estimations, so buying both leaves you potentially £4k more out of pocket than I would be, doesn’t seem fair!

I’ve based the prices on taking the UK prices for the 200 series and then what they are selling here in Aus dollars

I don’t think it’s too far out

Usually the case here, can never do the straight conversion . I think I remember our illustrious leader Richard mentioning sometime back that global prices are somehow linked to the US dollar also.

Yes of course understand the source of the discrepency just surprised it’s as much of a gap as it is between countries.

I think they wanted to make the range make a lot more sense, with the new classic its a really good step they made but i think all the big big stuff will always be external psu’s (this is always going to be best)

maybe the 552 replacement with be similar to the new pre with suspended chassis, upgraded stuff and a extra beasty 500 psu as standard

Had some discussion this week with a couple of dealers I have used recently, local to me. I’m currently set up with 222/300 into Nap 300DR - I asked them what they thought about me moving on my 300DR and replacing with the NC 250. Both of them advised against and mentioned that they have had a number of customers do this comparison and no one has gone for it. Thought that was interesting given some of the comments on here. I’m going to go and have a listen anyway, probably when the 350 is available to listen to as well.

7 Likes

That makes sense as I see the NC250 at about the same level as the 300DR. The Sound Signature is a bit different with the 250 being sweeter with a lower noise level. It’s all a matter of taste. If you already have a 300DR switching would be more of a sideways move and your money is better spent elsewhere unless you want a lower box count etc.

Personally, I wouldn’t trade my NC250 for a 300DR.

2 Likes

I guess that’s why I thought it was interesting, they thought, and by implication there customers thought, that it was a retrograde step and they wouldn’t recommend. Given there’s always money to be made in any deal I was also quite impressed by the integrity. Obviously that takes nothing away from anyone else’s view just interesting. If I had the NC 250 first I also wouldn’t go to the 300 either.

Next week, I listen the new 200 line.
I want to check if the feeling and the PRAT of the Olive are back.
After that, I would listen to the 350 to see if it have sense to replace my 135.
At this moment, I have only good returns about the new boxes in terms of musicality.

have you owned a 300 mate? i think 300/500 need to be tried at home because of the setup. i think people are getting a bit excited. no doubt a nc250 is nicer than a 250dr and the mono 350s be better than a 300…which would make way more sense.

i cant see a 250 replacing a 300 especially as its cheaper, using the same logic the new pre is better than a 552 and the new 350’s better than a 500dr, again makes no sense

2 Likes

It’s not really about fairness, it’s just the way it usually is. Just look at the price of McIntosh amps or Wilson speakers in the U.K. and then compare to the US prices, the difference is massive. Naim is a luxury item and hardly essential, and each of us must judge whether it’s worth paying for. If I lived in Australia I very much doubt I’d be buying Naim, not just because of the price but also the logistics of servicing and repairs.

5 Likes

Fairness” is probably not a keyword for companies that price their products, the keywords are probably more likely return requirements and profit margin…:smirk:

like every company ever in the whole world mate

:+1: capitalism…

Yes, of course it applies to all companies, haven’t said anything else either mate…:smirk:

Merely an observation, nothing to get flustered over, I can barely afford any of it even here in the UK if I’m honest!

3 Likes

Almost bought the 300. Have demoed both extensively in the same setup with NDX2/XPSDR/252DR and Spendor D7.2’s.

Have you owned the NC250? Have you heard it with anything beyond the 222/NPX300?

1 Like

I have not played with a NC250 mate, i do own a 300 though. i did own a 250dr and its completely different to that. i think if you can get a 300 at the right price its 100% worth it in your system, i would imagine a fair bit less then a NC250

1 Like