The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Thank you for your report… I also 272.xpsdr.250dr with focal 1028be and I listened to the new 222.250.300 at an auditorium and I had the same impression as you, more clarity but sometimes it was too much with bw 804d4! Perhaps we should have listened to other speakers. I am very happy with my system but I would like to compare my own…

1 Like

B&W 703 S3. Tomorrow I will try with the Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution.

So you like it then? :slight_smile:

I think it is superior than 272/250DR/XPSDR both as a preamplifier and as a power amp. So more clarity, speed and details but with a lot of musicality and silky sound. As said it is a very good balance.

Of course that doesn’t mean that the old rig is not good. It means we have something different, with a different flavor and technically improved. I like it a lot.

4 Likes

This just makes me more eager to get my 222/300, hopefully, they will arrive on the predicted arrival date at the beginning of March.

1 Like

I think the system hierarchy approach might help reduce the number of comparisons needed here.

If I had a 272, was considering an upgrade, and my local Naim dealer wasn’t too busy to do comparative demonstrations with equipment that I own, I would ask to do this sequence of comparisons

1. 272 vs 222 into 250 DR
  2. Naked winning preamp v naked winning preamp+300NPX into 250 DR (say, 222 vs 222+300NPX into 250 DR)
  3. Winning preamp+PSU into 250 DR v 250 NC (say, 222+300NPX into 250 DR vs 250 NC)

No doubt all three boxes sound better, why wouldn’t they?

I’d like to hear the comparison b/w the 222 and 272 head to head. So plug the 222 into the 250DR and compare to the 272/250DR. That would give you some insight into how the two streamer amps compare. Likewise a comparison of the 272 plugged into the new 250 v the 222 plugged into the new 250. Then you could do a 222 with 250DR v the 222 with new 250 and that’d tell you how much better the new 250 is compared to the 250DR. Do they have the cables that allow the retro fitting?

3 Likes

How much does the new 200 series cost in Italy then?:thinking:

The cables allowing connections between the various Classic and New Classic boxes will be available over the next few months. At this stage I think I’ll just get the 222 and connect it to the 555dr via a Y shaped burndy. There was a table chart of the new cables earlier in this thread about 19,000 posts ago.:grinning:

3 Likes

The 300NPX spec sheet refers to it powering new Naim 200 series sources and preamps - so more than just the 222 combo.

Has anyone heard anything about when an NC 200 preamp is expected?

Anyone who actually knows the answer won’t say because of Naim’s embargo on releasing such information before it’s official release.

So anyone who does answer your question (unless they work for Naim!) is either guessing or relying on rumours.

2 Likes

Do these new classics work best when powered 24x7 ?

The official importer suggested retail price in Italy is 7.250,00 € (incl. taxes) for each component, so it’s 21,7k € for the full set. They are listed around the web at 7.000,00 / 7.250,00 € and I’m sure every dealer can discount a little bit.

3 Likes

What I can say having unboxed the sealed packages yesterday evening (thanks to my dealer for a home trial with a NIB set), is that it is sounding very good since at the very first ignition… it is probably less sensitive to the always on tradition respect to the old classic series.

I think the new classic series is technically superior than the 272/250DR/XPSDR thanks to the combination of the upgraded 250 amp and the refined pre-amp. So, for me, it makes no sense to make a comparison of the single units head to head: my feeling, let’s say to test the new 222 with the old 250DR amp, is that you will lose speed and power and you will retain some refinement and details of the new 222, of course with all the new streaming board benefits.

If needed and based on what I’ve heard with this new classic series, I may suggest a step-by-step upgrade path as following:

• For all those that would like to keep two or three boxes count only, upgrade with 222 first, then the new 250 and finally think about the NPX300;
  • For all the others, I think upgrading with the new 250 first is preferable, you will then decide to wait for a new separates or go with the 222. The new 250 is that good!
4 Likes

Oh I’m quite happy with rumours and speculation :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If you try the new 222 then you will feel you miss something with the 272. The 272/250DR/XPSDR combo is already very good, but the 222/NC250/NPX300 is vastly superior based on what I’m hearing.

It is always a matter of compromises. With the new NC combo, you have a little more of everything.

1 Like

For those like me who have a transformer buzz issues with the 250DR and XPSDR, with the new classics equivalents the noise is imperceptible when the units are on and dead silent when in standby.

3 Likes

If there was ever any doubt as to the ‘value’ of this forum, to Naim Audion, this thread is now approaching 4000 Posts… :astonished:

2 Likes

What the new series lacks compared to the old one for me:

• The always on display with date/time;
  • The IR (infrared) capable remote (for those that are using universal remote control like the old Harmony Remote). The new series is using a new Zigbee remote like the new Unitis. The only way to control the new units with a universal remote control other than its remote or the mobile app is to go for a Control4 with the recently released driver.

On the other hand, system automation between 222, NC250 and NPX works very well.