The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

I don’t think so. This is a pre/streamer + power and power supply, and there’s still the NAC552 + 552PS and NAP500, and of course, the Statement pre and power amps. The NPX300 power supply seems to hint at more to come, and indeed Stevesky hints at more to come from Naim, so I guess it’s a case of watch this space over the next couple of years.

4 Likes

My thoughts:

1- new kit looks shape-wise fine to my eyes save the white lights which I hate with a passion. Green is a subdued and relaxing colour but any white in a room attracts attention (IME) and doesn’t complement decoration unless you live in a white minimalist environment.

2- performance upgrading the line and slimming down the existing ranges (if this is the evolution, noting the drive to streaming?) is surely the way to go in operational and sales terms, a bit like slimming down am unwieldy restaurant menu.

3- It’s going to be a great opportunity in the pre-loved market if people do switch/upgrade(?) to the new kit – but I’m not seeing the same drivers to do this as when the switch from Olive to Classic came along. That was more evolution, whereas this is looking like revolution.

4 Likes

I’m sure that 0.5% of the market is not naims target customer for the 222 :wink: You cannot make a product for everyone. Then it explodes.

Yes, $15K NZD equates to about 7821 GBP per box. It makes me curious as to whether UK dealers are allowed to sell new gear to other countries? Shipping costs and taxes would be a drop in the bucket compared to the price difference between UK and NZ.

3 Likes

I am salivating at the thought of that nice ladder volume control fitted to a 552…that would be shmazing…

4 Likes

@Mike_S , @Ryder35 this is the post that stuck in my mind:

Particularly:

On a 3 pin headphone socket the ground connection for L&R is shared. This shared connection degrades the sound.

My mind did, in the interim, confuse who said this. But it indicates that there is an SQ improvement to be had when running headphones off of the XLR or Pentaconn connections on the HE.

But yeah that is defending a statement I did not make and simply accepted in the same way I accepted that the HE has those connection for a reason.

Which brings me back to my initial question, why does the 222 not have it?

2 Likes

It was only an observation. Even the Statement preamp doesn’t make allowance for tape users. Thankfully, I’m not in the market for one of the New Classic series.

Why should that be? Surely once volume is set there’s no advantage?

That’s the thing though. Setting the volume right requires sensitive finger tips on 552. It’s like full throttle turning it 5mm. And too low volume and there is often channel drift. If one have used 272 you know the UX difference. Major.

1 Like

For some reason my one year anniversary on this forum was overlooked yesterday.

6 Likes

Checking your profile I see you were awarded your Anniversary badge yesterday. Congratulations! :wink:

2 Likes

Indeed Brutalism was my first thought as well when I saw the 222 pictures.

The old classic range is aesthetically more pleasing to me, classy and timeless.
Well maybe I will get used to the new look after a while, who knows.

There are many brands out there that might sound great, but are aesthetically difficult for me, for example Burmester, MBL, Tidal, Chord, Dartzeel just to name a few

1 Like

I tend to adjust volume using one of the remotes or the app, either of which usually requires a few taps, but it’s not something I lose sleep over.

The new volume control has 42 relays in it. Assuming that the implementation also ends up in any to be announced “300” series pre amplifier, is there any concern about failure rates? Has any reliability experience gained from the statement pre been used to inform its choice here? I would hope a failure of one relay would mean a graceful failure, a step up or down in volume avoiding the problem until it could be fixed?

I should say that I’ve been idly wondering if I can afford a new 200 series setup at some point, and think they look great. But I am curious about that volume control, failure rates and maintainability.

4 Likes

:birthday:

3 Likes

My Linn Sara mk1’s had Canon connectors

2 Likes

Yes, it was that which reminded me. I have chosen to assume Naim have honoured the occasion with a product launch. My 2nd anniversary will have to go some now.

8 Likes

Overall I’m impressed with what we’ve seen of the new classic series and will definitely be arranging a demo. Just a slight shame the NPX 300 isn’t compatible with a Classic preamp as a Hicap/Supercap alternative.

Coming from NDX2/282/HC/250, it would have been great to move towards a New Classic system with an NPX 300 for both NDX 2 and replacing the Hicap on 282……

3 Likes

Well alps pots are good…but they rely on a track and a carbon wiper…which is not that good…generally a resistor of a specific value is sonically superior…and the channel balance is superb.

2 Likes

So a likely outcome in future product could be new NAC’s. Named NAC222, NAC333, NAC444 and NAC 555 replacing 202,282,252,552.

Then streamers NSS333, 444, 555

Amplifiers 250, 300, 500 (don’t know why they aren’t 222, 333, 444, 555)

Power supplies 333, 444, 555

1 Like