The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

My Linn Sara mk1’s had Canon connectors

2 Likes

Yes, it was that which reminded me. I have chosen to assume Naim have honoured the occasion with a product launch. My 2nd anniversary will have to go some now.

8 Likes

Overall I’m impressed with what we’ve seen of the new classic series and will definitely be arranging a demo. Just a slight shame the NPX 300 isn’t compatible with a Classic preamp as a Hicap/Supercap alternative.

Coming from NDX2/282/HC/250, it would have been great to move towards a New Classic system with an NPX 300 for both NDX 2 and replacing the Hicap on 282……

3 Likes

Well alps pots are good…but they rely on a track and a carbon wiper…which is not that good…generally a resistor of a specific value is sonically superior…and the channel balance is superb.

2 Likes

So a likely outcome in future product could be new NAC’s. Named NAC222, NAC333, NAC444 and NAC 555 replacing 202,282,252,552.

Then streamers NSS333, 444, 555

Amplifiers 250, 300, 500 (don’t know why they aren’t 222, 333, 444, 555)

Power supplies 333, 444, 555

1 Like

Probably best covered in its own thread - there is one here

…but in summary, some prefer the sound (sweeter - not as heavy - fast - more classic “Naim” (whatever that is to people’s ears)) and when you combine that with an amp that is half the price and 30% smaller…it ticks a lot of people’s boxes more than the 500.

I have the 500 - but had the 300 - the 500 does give more “HiFi” - so more bass, more air, more headroom, bigger soundstage (you know…all those awful Hi-Fi terms :smiling_imp: ) but it does possibly lose a bit of speed and sweetness in doing so. Do I think the 500 is better? …for me, yes…but I can understand those that don’t.

7 Likes

Hi Steve

What is the problem integrating Apple Music?

Some 3rd party platforms have done this. Tesla have recently incorporated Apple Music alongside Spotify and Tidal. This means I can play tunes, albums and playlists directly on the car without having to do so through my iPhone.

1 Like

I have wondered if the ‘dent’ is there to, while moving to the Uniti/Statement look, keep a link with the three piece look of the old classic range. So if you (and others owning classic gear) aren’t comfortable with that it seems to have missed the mark. Being neither fish nor fowl.

Personally I prefer the Uniti look and the ‘dent’ bothers me a bit. (But not enough to not buy it were I to have that sort of money to spend)

eARC is supposed to solve that. I’ve wondered why that wasn’t included on the 2nd gen Mu-so’s already for that reason. But I don’t know that/if it requires new hardware, so perhaps just a future software update?

And it’s good to see AptX has been re-adopted (it was dropped from the 2nd gen Mu-So’s), although still no LDAC?

I’m pretty sure a 4-series won’t show up. The number 4 is bad luck in Asia (China only?). They even skip level 4 on some elevators.

" In Chinese culture, fourth floor is usually omitted from most elevator fixtures in a Chinese building, this is because the number means “death ( )”. It was considered that the number 4 in Putunghua means “sì” while death is “sǐ” and Cantonese means “sei3”[[1]] while death is “sei2”[[2]]). Both of these words are nearly homophonous. Some buildings in Asia skipped the fourth floor either by numbering it as “5” or by designating the floor as “3A” or something similar. In some buildings in South Korea, fourth floor is labelled “F” (Four) instead of 4 in elevators[[3]]). The practice of avoiding instances of number 4 is called [Tetraphobia]."

2 Likes

Or more likely no NAC222

1 Like

It is 7000 Euro each

1 Like

BMW 4-serie.

2 Likes

Yes and when it was released there were a lot of discussions related. Maybe they eased up on it 10 years later. And maybe 444 would be bit too much still :wink:

1 Like

I am also interested to know as I have a UQ2 >> SN1 + HCDR. Need to know to plan for future upgrade but still keeping the SN1 + HCDR. Ty.

2 Likes

Luxman made a rather cool looking turntable called the PD-444. It’s a rare one, especially in wide body form. Maybe the number did for it…?

2 Likes

Yes or new Statement called NAC666😁

8 Likes

Suits you, Sir…

2 Likes

Yebbut Olov Palme was not quite 666, he was more 777.

I think Chinese is not that important for Naim now? I have friends there but they say Naim is not as popular as 10 years ago

I wonder when the first reviews will be out. My guess is that we won t see anything until february at least unless the gear has been sent to reviewers before the annoucement.