The Nait3 sounds like…

Yes, some truth to this. I was contemplating a Nait 3 for my second system after owning one previously. I’ve now scratched the itch with a Nait 50 :blush:

I had a Nait 3 in the early 90s. It sounded nice with vinyl (LP12) but thought it sounded a bit brash with CD until I upgraded to the CD5. I remember preferring the sound of the original Nait 5 when it came out.

1 Like

I had a Nait 3R, bought in 1999. It was overdue for a recap, but AV Options recommended against that due to possible issues with the power amp board during recap. So, I recently bought a Supernait 3.
I am liking the sound of my Planar 3/Elys 2 through the phono. (I am due for a fresh cartridge next year and will get an Exact 2.) The first LP I listened to Zoot Sims: Soprano Sax jumped, with notably improved initial attack from Ray Bryant’s piano. All LPs are more open-sounding than (the admittedly non-serviced) Nait 3R.

The remote control of volume and balance is something I got used to with the Nait 3R, and to be honest, remotely controlling balance is now also a must with me. I am glad the SN3 does that.

One caveat, and I am probably the only one who cares, but the SN3 does not allow monitoring when engaging the tape loop, which means I can’t use my Sugarcube SC-1 in the same manner.

2 Likes

In which case, time to listen to a serviced original Nait XS, arguably Naim’s most complete integrated amplifier. It’s just so balanced. Nothing is missing.

Sometimes I even wish I still had mine.

My brother’s Nait 3 sounds ragged by comparison.

2 Likes

The Ray Bryant and Zoom Sims LP sounds like something I should investigate.

Hi Christopher,

as these things go, I most likely have found what I was looking for in the Norma IPA 140 a couple of weeks ago.

1 Like

Yes, most of those releases on the Pablo label are worth investigating and the sound is good.

I wonder what AV could be referring to. I have a recapped Nait 3R. I love to take it out for a listen and enjoy the change in sonic signature.

1 Like

I am not exactly sure, but Nick D consulted with Chris West, who recommended against a rebuild due to the power amp board issue. I first asked in 2017 and misunderstood something in an email last year and asked again, but their recommendation was still to avoid a recap/rebuild.
Who did your recap and when did you have it done? If there is a way to safely recap I’d still be interested. The Nait 3R is a sweetheart.

1 Like

You could try Focal Naim in Canada.

Mine was done a decade ago but still sounds great. I don’t use it all of the time. It’s just my opinion but I think the non regulated amps can safely go longer without a recap than the regulated amps.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.