The new NAIT 50 Limited Edition

I’m not sure what that relates to, Bevo.

Just your comment that naim could have been more helpful to customers re SUT’s

I got the feeling that you would have preferred to have the Phono as MC also ?

Thanks. Interesting.

Hen’s teeth territory I imagine.

Hello everyone, for a long time family circumstances kept me from visiting here. Still there but I have found better ways to manage them, so I hope to check in more often again.

Imagine coming back to the forum after a 1,5 year break and finding the place buzzing with this exciting news and love for the new anniversary amp! Lucky for me I contacted @anon27418182 before checking in here so I was forewarned.

It is so nice to read many stories of a sort of new enthusiasm brought about by the Nait 50. I can relate to people here having an ear-opening moment and direct emotional connection with one single friendly looking, tactile, manual, overachieving little amp grounded in the finest Naim tradition. Despite in some cases having already reached the level of really impressive and expensive multi-box Naim systems.

Some 20 years ago I had climbed the Rega ladder up to the final level of Jupiter / Cursa / 2xExon with Nordost cables. At one point I loaned a Nait 2 for the weekend and my jaw fell to the floor. So much excitement and enjoyment! Yes, on a smaller scale, like a postcard instead of a book, but within that so much fun and connected. So from 2004 onwards I have lived with a Nait 2, first an Olive one, then my CB one, now serviced twice already. They do have their quirks and limitations though, but these are well-documented. I also signed up with this forum, where I have met several wonderful people since.

So obviously Neils question as a happy Nait 50 owner to me was: Will you buy one yourself? I had to do some speed-reading and power-research there, of course. A new phenomenon (for me) is that comparisons on YouTube actually help. That is, when you are aware of what you are looking for and you know one of the items intimately as a reference point. Previously I found this helpful in selecting phono cartridges. Here with also no demo possibility I could reach the conclusion that the answer is no. For me it’s exactly the opposite of where I would want to go soundwise (in my room and system and with my ears).

This helped me realise I need different speakers, with a demo already booked for the moment the new Rega Aya pair arrives on the showroom floor. I would not have reached that understanding without the Nait 50 research, so also for me it brought something very worthwhile!

Let me finish by congratulating everyone who got hold of one of the 1973 items. Also wishing you lots of fun and enjoyment, both with the sound and with your now spacious rack and actually touching buttons without a remote :slight_smile:

Maurice

14 Likes

Welcome back Maurice!

Am I uderstanding you correctly in that you have stuck with the Nait 2 and will be dem’ing the new Rega speakers to partner it?

Thank you Murmur! Yes, that’s the new plan. They do seem to be stuck in transport for now.

(btw, I also think a Naim streamer in this form factor, as proposed in the other thread, would be a great idea. For both the 1973 group and the original CB owners, the Nait 50 does look georgeous)

4 Likes

Hi Maurice
Welcome back to the mad house :rofl:
Nice to read your thoughtful posts here once more

Best wishes
R

1 Like

Indeed, what they have achieved with this , is nothing short of a miracle, the other day me and my friend Claudio, were embarassed by how good it is with S600, albeit with SL cables and P.Line than now is hard to justify bigger amps. Me moved to Classic system with 202/HCdr/200/ nSat and to me seemed pretty britlle in comparison, when usually like this system very much

1 Like

Afternoon all, I thought this thread would be a perfect place to share this picture.
Last week at Naim we took part in the Macmillan Coffee Morning as usual and had a bit of a cake competition. I decided to make my cake suitably themed for this year, and who better to get a photo with it than Steve Sells himself!
(I’m afraid I didn’t make 1973 of these though…)

65 Likes

Nice work Paul. Almost a shame to cut into it!

6 Likes

That’ll never be big enough to go round. Maybe next time you could make a tiered 333/332/350!

2 Likes

And shame on you for having brown knobs on a place of Naim equipment! If you couldn’t do the ‘proper’ grey, colour you might at least have chosen ‘Naim green’.

Have to agree on the phono stage. I’ve had my 50 for a couple of months now and never felt the need to put either of my phono stages to use with it (Pro-Ject Tube Box S2 and an original Graham Slee plastic box MK1).

I’m listening to Low’s “Dinosaur Act” right now from the “Things We Lost in the Fire” album and the dynamics are incredible. There’s so much intimacy in the quiet parts then the chorus fills the room creating and incredibly musical delivery.

I listen to my 50 system more than any of my others because it delivers every time.

4 Likes

Nice! Perhaps a stint on the British Baking Show with a full Fraim stack?

Just to be sure:
a) you (the listeners) moved to the 202/200 system and that system seemed brittle, or
b) you moved the 50 and it seemed brittle with the N-Sats
I think it’s a) but as I said, just to be sure :grinning:

No, we moved in the other room where i have CDX2 202 200 Sat

1 Like

Very much so. But I have managed to buy an Ortofon ST-7 (Japanese-built) Step-Up Transformer, which I will be able to plug into the phono input of the new NAIT, should the need ever arise in the future.

From what I understand if there was also the MC phono incorporated it would diminish the SQ

That was the reasoning also for not including in the XS3 and SN3 I believe

Yes, apparently it’s very difficult to put an MC stage inside an integrated amp and keep it quiet, so close to the power supply, without extra shielding or other measures that Naim feel would impair the MC stage overall performance. It’s why Naim could not really recommend fitting MC boards to a NAIT 3, even with the shield kit installed.

5 Likes

Nice one! I’d assumed Kate had made when it was posted to instagram. As I said there, “exceedingly good nait”.

2 Likes