The new NAIT 50 Limited Edition

Auralic Altair G1 is a very nice all in one streaming solution. You need apple products to run the lightning DS app though. With an on board SSD it holds a large CD collection and interfaces with most streaming platforms. Had mine since summer 2021 and it’s very reliable so far without a single glitch

Shoe box size though ? Don’t think so ???

NDX2 is what I have been recommended. Closeout price in the US for the model below the ND555. Fraction of the ND555 price. Full size.

The Uniti Atom versions could both serve this role. I don’t know how they compare to straight DACs, but they’d offer some remote volume control of the NAIT50, they run the latest Naim streaming hardware and are shoebox sized. Added bonus, there appear to be regular numbers available pre-owned (US).

1 Like

Ah sorry yes only for Claude Hopper

As discussed above, the Nait50 responds well to the best source you can give it. So really your budget and taste is the considering factor rather than the Nait50 itself.
Some use Chord DACs like DAVE or Hugo, whilst others appear to use dCS DACs… and I am sure there are many many more… but if the DAC is your primary source don’t skimp on it… otherwise you will be underachieving what the Nait50 can do.
You could try a streamer, and in the manual they show an example NDX2 installation, but personally I say the Nait50 performs significantly better than my NDX2 can deliver.
Not sure I would say my Nait50 is a shoe box size… but sure it’s narrower than the classic series boxes.

2 Likes

Don’t underestimate DAC V1, I have had mine for many years and with every upgrade I did, it did not feel that it is holding the system back, extremely reliable and versitile as well, plus it’s Naim :), so system synergy is kept at a 100.

5 Likes

I have the NDX2/XPS 2 in another location driven by SN3/HICAPDR Simon

Love it - in time maybe Nait 50 with NDX2

Yep agree Nait 50 not shoebox , what I meant was half width DAC , roughly same width of Nait 50 and Core

It’s quite surprising when one starts to research what’s out there in half width DAC ‘s at a reasonable price and from what I can see it’s quite limited which is a surprise to me for sure

Indeed, good luck on your journey.

Thanks Simon

Schiit Bifrost 2/64 could be a very decent option at ~half-width and reasonable price. It is using “multi-bit” DAC chips (like nDAC/NDS/ND555), has a very good USB input (if your source is USB) and is upgradeable in case Schiit Audio improves the design in the future.

1 Like

how about leema elements dac?

1 Like

Goldnote ds10……

2 Likes

Thanks to u 3 gents I’ll check them out

Cheers

I have no experience with the brand, but when I think of ‘shoebox’, other than Naim, Cyrus always springs to mind….
Over the years they seem to have phases of acclaim and not, but I think I read recently they are a back on form of late….
Stream-XR …? Not silly money either, if you were going to change things down the line…

Shout for the Atom HE isn’t bad, apparently a better Dac inside than the standard Atom, though I don’t know that for sure (I actually have both, but one is 9000miles away back in Blighty, so can hardly do a side by side!)……Least it keeps it Naim, good modern control UI and in the form factor of your Core + you get an damn good headphone source…and until such time as a matching retro stream box (why didn’t they?!)….
DAC-V1 too, though different aesthetic again….Good though, I have two!

SC

1 Like

No unauthorised commercial links here please, thanks.

1 Like

Goldnote DS10?

Well yes the other thought is will Naim bring out a retro CB streamer to match the Nait 50

Sell like hotcakes I reckon

Yeah, to the 1973 owners who were lucky to get the Nait50….
But you can see it can’t you – they bring out a little retro shoe-box Dac/streamer, is a brilliant little box, loads of folk want one….but then they want a matching amp to go with it, and they don’t have the Nait50 nor can easily get one as they were ‘limited’ and long gone……

SC

I know S.C I don’t think the team at Salisbury will go down the track of a streamer matching the Nait 50

As you say not enough Nait 50’s to match the demand

I’ll keep researching half width DAC’s