The new NAIT 50 Limited Edition

I’m not very familiar with 500 Series amps but still, that’s quite a turn up, and will certainly help your Hi-Fi balance sheet :slight_smile:

I’ve just put mine back in today - triggered by some changes in the other system. I’m more on the fence. In some ways it’s more engaging that the bolt down 12/160 and in other ways less so, which is kind of annoying as I’d rather have a clear winner. Either way, it’s good fun and I’m enjoying listening to it again.

1 Like

About a week or so after Naim the launched the Nait 50 I decided to buy one. Whilst waiting for it to turn up I boxed up the 500 kit and connected a Nait 2 from the second setup with a Chord Dave as source.
I glanced over to the boxed 500 kit and thought I could easily live with the Nait 2 as my primary setup :slightly_smiling_face:
The Nait 50 arrived, disconnected the Nait 2 and for 12 hours I sat there grinning :grin: unable to pull away (Vicki, kids, dogs at the caravan house to myself)

Several weeks later the Nait 50 ended up in the second setup, 500 back up and running.
The 500 setup is easily the best I’ve heard, all the reviews, people on here who praise the 500 (except Dunc :wink:) are right its SUPERB… but I kept stressing with the two stack Fraim (room looking like an audio shop), cable dressing etc etc and found myself more concerned with burndies touching.
Woke up last Saturday boxed up the 500 - Nait 50 returns.

I haven’t stopped listening, love this amp with no thoughts on cables, racks, room etc works exceptionally well with the SL2s

In terms of freeing up cash on the eventual sale of the 500 kit, okay the extra cash is nice but this wasn’t the end goal and reasoning behind the change.

12 Likes

I replaced my Uniti with a Nait 50 and Emerson Analog DAC/Streamer streaming Qobuz HiRez content. The sound upgrade was huge. I may have said “Wow” out loud.

5 Likes

There is the new Ortofon M2R (for reduced height) series, which are an exact fit (no pun) on Rega tonearms.

Top levels are the Black and the Black LVB, the latter is about the max you can do in MM, should be great with your P9 and SN3.

You mean price or performance ?

The 2M range was never my cup, much preferred other choices, not necessary more expensive, Sumiko Amethyst is one example, rigB Paratrace another.

1 Like

I was replying to this part @PerF:

The M2R series is a big change in that respect.

Never tried the new 2MR, but told they are same cartridge with lower bodies.
On that basis I’m sure they sell like hotcakes, even they didn’t apply the third hole.

Speaking of cartridges and the Nait 50…

I put an Audio Technica AT-VM95SH on my Rega P8. Fits nicely with no spacers if a hair tail down. Once again surprised at how good these cartridges in this price range sound. I have a P10/Aphelion 2 and so aware of the AT’s shortcomings. Still, very nice and absolutely does not commit the worst sin that I can think of: dullness.

Has anyone heard an Ortofon 2M LVB cartridge? One gets a boron cantilever, shibata, and 5mv output. Tempting…

Had no idea about a shorter 2M series for Rega tonearms!

They are quite new, see here:

With some contributions from members who have the LVB even I believe.

1 Like

That’s the way I see the way I see the way I see the 50, simple and straight to the MUSIC

2 Likes

Given the massive benefit the SN3 gets through adding a hi cap. I wonder why not possible on the Nait 50?

Possibly because its not needed - technology has moved on…

5 Likes

This is the way I see it.
Low power direct signal path.
If you feel the need to start adding Naim boxes then maybe you bought the wrong amp.

3 Likes

The way I have viewed it is this … the higher the end product the cleaner the path … except for shielding the pass through is better the higher up the stack you go … the SN3 is still probably top of the heap, at least from my experience, and thus needs extra effort to allow that transparency maybe?

Ah, yes, that makes sense.
Seems like list opportunity for Naim in not having an upgrade path

From what I’ve seen in photos, the preamp in the Nait 50 runs on +/- 12V supply so the 24V supply from a Hicap is not suitable here.

You could also debate that the split-rail design is superior/different to what has gone before. As quoted, technology has moved on.

3 Likes

I have not A B ed them so cannot comment for sure … but always found the SNs to have superior pass through which means the most to me than the spec sheets. But the 50 I have not heard a bunch so still could be wrong … plus I love the SN creation so my bias could also be at play.

No more Hicaps from Naim I guess.

The Nait 50 is perfect and doesn’t require a HiCap… even if it was technically possible without some major butchering.

2 Likes

Hehe