The new NAIT 50 Limited Edition

I’ll be taking two chilled bottles shortly.

But until then.

What exactly was the point of your post. :crazy_face: :grinning:

1 Like

:scream_cat::scream_cat: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Could any of the Naim people here who have heard the Nait 50 compare it to the Atom? I have an Atom, LP 12 and Focal 926 and I’m seriously considering switching. I mostly stream through Spotify.

1 Like

You are right. all 55 of them! :upside_down_face:
Just curious because the new NAP350 does not use them so I wonder why Naim decided to use the surface mount Yellow tants in the Nait50 but not in the new amp. :nerd_face:
Here’s the inside 350 with the familiar yellow tants.

For the comparison this is the original Nait naked.

and the new Nait 50. They certainly moved on with SMTs.

Also it has a better Alps volume pot. Same large Kemet cans?

5 Likes

Somehow they managed to make hifi cool for the younger generation in those days. It was something to aspire to like a first car.

I see my kids listening to music on crappy headphones or through a phone/tablet/laptop ‘speaker’. On the one hand I love that they are interested in music, probably the young today listen to it more than older generations given its portability, but on the other I’d love for them to hear it properly played back.

That’s why we use Spotify at home, it’s just so easy for everyone to select the hifi to listen to it in the lounge.

2 Likes

The DAC-V1 also has through hole tants (and a remote!) Not sure if it is relevant to sonics, the ceramics would be more microfonic if smd? The 350 PCB probably sees more temp gradients.

2 Likes

When I was young, that being so long ago I’m really trying to remember, I didn’t have the space for proper playback until I became a student and then I didn’t really have the money. However, a number did and what we got out of it was a social bond that lasts to this day. We don’t sit around until 3 am listening to an album but I’m off out for a full-on breakfast before too long with those same people after 40+ years and we have music as a common interest still.

My daughter is desperate for a record player and to be able to go out with friends and buy vinyl, bring it back and bond over music. Relatively, I think the cost of that is higher than it was but I’m seriously thinking about loaning my Rega/Nait and getting some small speakers so she can begin to hear the difference. The thing, too, is that music is a multi-tasking activity for her, she doesn’t have time to just listen. I’m hoping that she’ll learn to really let music in.

10 Likes

I’m a bit younger and made it to Uni’ just a couple years before streaming exploded. Me and a few mates did have proper systems. But more than the systems was the music collection. I may have had the Linn. Another may have had the Mark Levinson (don’t ask how we paid for it. Honestly, we were poor. I often ate on $2 a day in 1999), but it was the mate with a crusty ancient Denon amp and CD player perched with rear feet on wkndow frame and front feet on a radiator where we congregated. 5000 discs in his flat above a post office and we just spun discs to 3am.

4 Likes

Yes, I also chatted to David and whilst I do not need one I will be definitely being going for a dem at The Sound Org.

Richard

1 Like

Why don’t you get her a Rega System One for £999 - includes a P1 tt, Io amp and Kyte speakers?

4 Likes

As a CD5si owner IMO it really would benefit from a digital output. I understand the official line from Naim was that it would have harmed SQ. However, from my experience it can be a little dark and rolled off in the treble and on some discs this does hamper my enjoyment. Being able to send a digital signal to my Arcam D33 would have been a major bonus. As it is I have an Arcam DV135 that performs exactly this role (and sounds clearer/more open than the CD5si) via its digital out to the D33.

As for the Nait 50 it is a great idea and no doubt well executed but IMO it does appear quite expensive for what one gets. A matching DAC and streamer would be great additions to a permanent retro HiFi range however.

As for shoebox HiFi clearly there is Cyrus, but Exposure and Leema Acoustics also offer pretty comprehensive ranges if one likes the shoe box format.

1 Like

I rejoined* the forum just to congratulate Naim on this lovely retro look product and for making it in the UK. I do hope it’s a springboard for some associated shoebox products - at the very least a streamer/DAC (Roon compatible please!).

Anyway, I’ve ordered mine through the lovely chaps at Audio-t in Brighton, and look forward to getting it in a few weeks.

*I was on the original forum in the 90s, and then on the revamped forum a number of years later. Not sure what’s happened in the meantime as this forum had no recollection of me.

17 Likes

Welcome back to the forum Whaleblue.

Unfortunately when the old forum had to close a few years back the existing memberships could not be carried over, so everyone had to re-apply afresh.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard. I’ll try to hang around a little again!

Ian

6 Likes

Great idea the new Nait. Not sure if anyone has mentioned it or we know for sure what the ‘Easter Egg’ is but I would hope that the Nait 50 can have basic controls controlled via the app. ?

If the copy is anything to go by, it should sound quite a bit better. For example
“…the power amplifier has been lifted from the nap250 (2023)”
which is more than you can say for eg the sn3.

1 Like

Sadly didn’t see a motor on the pot and the inputs look mechanical. But that’s part of the charm surely.

2 Likes

@feeling_zen Indeed a long shot, but would have been a nice feature.

lack of a remote of any sort would be a deal breaker for me although I can appreciate the desire to keep the integrity of the original

I’m going to guess: it’s a 00-004 part number for the finished unit, and you don’t have to assign sequentially, so is it a 00-004-1973?

2 Likes