The new NAIT 50 Limited Edition

I take no notice and have long avoided so called hifi reviews and magazines of that kind.

3 Likes

I am SO tempted to get one. The Nait 1 was my first step into Naim and was probably the biggest upgrade I’ve ever heard. My issue is that I mostly listen to Spotify now and rarely anything else

1 Like

So the Nait50 isn’t suited for LSS3/5a type speakers?

and whats with the headphone section?
The Nait50 has the new 200 classic series design

Well, if that’s so, someone hasn’t told that to my Nait50 or Falcon LS3/5As, which are making wonderful sounds together.

And the Nait drives my Grado Hemp headphones perfectly.

Wherever did you pick up this utter twaddle? Have you even bothered to listen to the Nait?

3 Likes

I own the Nait 50.

From the review.

“Musical Fidelity LS3/5A speakers (£2349), which are designed to BBC RD1976/29 specifications. Visually, the two retro products look absolutely fabulous together. Sonically, it’s not quite as good a match as it is aesthetically – the Musical Fidelity’s smaller-scaled sound and lack of bass authority don’t quite gel with the Nait 50’s punchy nature. But they flow and glide throughand music in a lovely way when it comes to voices and piano (anything in the midrange, essentially). These speakers don’t have the required punch and timing talents to match the demands of the Nait 50 amp,”

and

“The headphone amplifier, on the other hand, is decent but not the Nait 50’s strongest point. We listened with the Grado SR325x open-backs plugged in, and there’s a pleasing immediacy to the delivery. But it’s not quite as clear or detailed compared with the other inputs.”

The reason I’m asking is because I’m interested in purchasing LS3/5a’s.

2 Likes

Well, I don’t agree with those reviews.

If you’re anywhere near Brighton, you’re welcome to come and listen, and decide for yourself. (Ian2001 did just that a couple of weeks ago.)

2 Likes

I’m in the area spring 2025.

Can you dock a cruise ship (-;

My home is about 200/300 metres from the English Channel, so you might be able to dock at Brighton’s Palace Pier.

3 Likes

See you then!

2 Likes

Likewise, I paired my 50 with my Graham LS3/5a’s. Bloody marvellous.

Maybe it’s the MF’s.

3 Likes

I wonder what they wou,d be like with harbeth monitor 30s? Asking for a friend :wink:

1 Like

I have my NN50 paired with Stirling LS3/5a V3’s - sounds fantastic. Maybe its the MF Ls3/5a’s which don’t gel.

I also don’t agree with other conclusions from the WHF review- they suggest the XS3 is better. I’ve owned that previously and it clearly isn’t better -it has a warmer bassier more vivid sound, more inputs, remote control etc but the soundstage, detail and musicality is a step down from the NN50

4 Likes

First time reading a WhatHiFi review and I was not impressed. They came across as too slick.

So busy selling the readers on their experience and expertise over all that is audio. I’m surprised they bothered to mention the Nait50.

3 Likes

I have paired my Nait 50 with Spendor 3/5r2 and 3/5e speakers. These speakers are not identical to the BBC spec, but fairly close. On adequate stands and positioned appropriately, they are all I really need for most types of music.

They might not do thrash metal and demanding orchestral works as well as larger speakers, but they sound terrific in a small to medium size room.

5 Likes

I’m happy to own up to enjoying “demanding” orchestral works, if you’re thinking of the likes of Mahler, Bruckner et al.

But, seriously, thrash metal???

2 Likes

Ah Graham has the Falcons Gold not the Musical Fidelity , the Falcons are licensed by the BBC , Musical Fidelity aren’t .

Both the Graham LS3/5A and the Falcon LS3/ 5A have close connections to the original , I would look :eyes: at the Graham, Falcons or the Roger’s LS3/5A. I have Harbeth P3ESR which are also closely related to the LS3/5A

Graham Loudspeakers and Graham 55 are not related, he does live in Brighton near the seafront and has nothing to do with the speaker manufacturers who are (I think) in the West Country

Last night I had the joy of being neighbour free and had my Nait 50 slightly louder than normal with Eva Cassidy and Jennifer Warnes . Lovely.

Funnily enough it also does a really good job with film

HiFi Choice have the Falcon Gold and the Musical Fidelity on review and they come over as being slightly differing products, that ‘s in this months edition looking at the best HiFi from 2023

I suspect differences between Falcon Gold, Musical Fidelity , Harbeth and Spendor aren ‘t vast.

I am pretty sure that the Nova and XS3 are closely related and I much prefer the Nait 50 to the Nova. Having had both.

I may have the wrath of the initiated descend on me, but the original is ( if I recall correctly ) often linked fondly in people’s mind with Linn Kans - and that was also closely associated with the LS3/5A

2 Likes

It had never occurred to me, Ian, to buy Graham loudspeakers. I wonder if my former dealers in London could supply them - Grahams HiFI!

4 Likes

I don’t listen to thrash metal at all. It was just an example of what does not work well on the basis of trying a few genres on the usual streaming services.

I have (had) both the Harbeth P3ESR and two versions of the Spendor 3/5s. On the same stands and in almost exactly the same listening positions, the Spendors sound very slightly warmer to my ears

Without a direct comparison, I probably would not be able to tell them apart.

3 Likes

Yes, we sometimes worry too much about slight differences , we judge on appearances too often

1 Like