The new NAIT 50 Limited Edition

Yeah, that’s fair.

I’ve found that people can interpret ‘timing’ differently and mean slightly different things. And I believe that we all experience music in our own unique way - sometimes the gap to the next person is only slight but sometimes our ears/brain can work very differently. Whilst I might find the Nait has better timing as described before, someone else may find another amp has better timing, one that I don’t much enjoy. It’s hard to give up sharing thoughts and views but it’s so subjective that I’m not sure that forum opinions add much value (or magazine reviews). The only time I find it very helpful is if I’ve already established that I share very similar preferences with someone else.

3 Likes

I will provide my perspective as I am a big proponent of the Naits.

I own a Nait 2, Nait 3R (split), and a Supernait 2. In the past, have owned a Nait 5, 5i, and XS. All I can say is that they all sound wonderful. I would like to try a 5i again…seem to remember that one having an interesting personality and it was my gateway. Liked the Nait 5 the least.

Nait 2 has a special magic, density, and ease to the sound (“ultimate” restored by AV Options). The ease and flow is something hard to convey and antithetical to the limited power this device has. The phono stage is also quite good. My external phono is superior but would not miss it.

Speakers are Fink Team Kim and sometimes Quads. Even though the Fink Team Kims are 86db sensitive, they are fairly easy to drive and have a damping switch on the rear and the middle option matches perfectly with Naim (!). Also helps that my room is 5.2m X 3.7m and I sit 2.5 meters from the speakers and loudest listening is peaks in the high 80s/low 90s decibels. Like the Quads, the Kims are a lifetime speaker for me.

People talk about what amps can drive what speakers and rarely mention the above factors with any sort of precision, which are incredibly important. I am sure you know this.

The other factor is Naim amps always provide a nice amount of current (one reason why the Nait 2 is always recommended with Quad ESL). Thusly, in the right setting, can drive all kinds of speakers. I am highly confident the Nait 50 will be terrific given the amount of current and placed in the right situation. Certain aspects like the increased power, the volume control, and the switching are in the Nait 50s favor. Also attractive is the effort to model, at least partially, the phono stage on the Nait 1.

Under these conditions, any of these lower powered Naim amplifiers become quite competitive. I do have much more powerful amplifiers that are occasionally used yet can also admit that aesthetically, I like smaller and less boxes appeals to me. So if looking for bias, that would be one of them. However, it’s quite simple: although they theoretically offer more, I don’t listen to those devices as often as they don’t have the Naim character.

May not answer your question but the best I can do!

14 Likes

I have ordered a Nait 50, but I doubt that it would be able to handle the three pairs of QUAD ESL57s in my main system.

It will have to slum it in my proposed ‘second system’ with a CB NAT01 (and a CD player, if I can lay my hands on one) into a new pair of Falcon LS3/5As.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’ll drive my Kralk BC’s perfectly :crossed_fingers: (they’re 90db 1w & 8 ohms).
I previously used them in a second system (very small room) hard against the wall on Kan II stands but recently sat them inside two of the Ikea Expedit cubes and they sound even better!
I suppose that’s how Alan designed them so shouldn’t be a surprise.

2 Likes

Have you changed your system completely from that listed in your Profile, BS? I was expecting to see something similar to my own (NAC52, NAP135s, etc), but what’s shown in your photo is very different. Is that a ‘second system’ perhaps?

Hi Graham, yes that’s the small bedroom where I keep the vinyl etc. P6, Rogue Audio Shinx, Kralk BC’s.
Main system is still LP12, 52, Scap, 135’s, SBL II
:+1:

1 Like

I don’t get it :grin:

We have pretty similar systems, Blackstar, other than the loudspeakers.

I’m in the process of putting together my own ‘bedroom’ system. I have a Nait 50 on order with Audio T, and James at TomTom Audio has a CB NAT-01 on his books for me. I would have been happy with a (CB) NAT-02, but James tells me that they are the audio equivalent of hen’s teeth!

Best wishes.

1 Like

What is the proper designation of the soon-to-be-released new NAIT?

I thought that it was NAIT 50R, but I see that most abbreviate this to just NAIT 50

NAIT 50

:+1: mine’s ordered through the Sound Org.

2 Likes

Thank you, Richard - I must have made up the 50R designation.

The only time I recall Naim using an R designation was for the Nait3R and NAC 92R, where it indicated the later versions that included a remote. So not applicable to a Nait 50!

Thanks, Chris.

Brain fade, I fear. My Oxford education is deserting me!

Interesting. You have three pairs stacked? My Nait 2 easily handles both my original and Quad 63.

Two stacked pairs, left and right, each powered by one Olive NAP135 per channel, plus one pair bolted (upside down) to the ceiling, behind the listening position, using Naim’s AV-1 rear sound processor and (one) Olive NAP250. (An attempt by me to mimic an ‘ideal’ shoebox-shaped concert hall.)

I posted some photos of the set-up to this Forum a few weeks ago.

1 Like

@graham55

Got a link or idea which thread, Graham? I remember seeing the amps on that snazzy shelving you have, but don’t remember seeing the ESL’s - I’d love to see the pair bolted to the ceiling!

Wow! I’ll have to have a look at the photos.

Here you go, I think!

2 Likes

I bet that sounds lovely !?