The old streaming architecture

I prefer to call it a separation of tasks - I have a Network Player that takes in a bit perfect digital feed and makes the best conversion to analogue output. I have a digital platform that manages all the different sources and files, and provides the best interface to selecting and managing these.
I have a data store for my local files, that provides redundant networked storage.

I have the same with a separate Phono stage for the Turntable, and also a A/V Pre-amp for the audio feed from multiple A/V sources, with the Video being handled through a different path.

So not a workaround at all.

No question you have an enviable system that delivers all the performance and features you require.
I think my point was that you are having to enable those features using additional hardware and interconnectivity because your streaming source doesn’t support those features in an integrated and native way whereas an NDX 2 or an ND555 as comparable examples do those things natively including being able to navigate and control Qobuz and Tidal within the Naim iOS/Android application and of course to act as a Roon endpoint.
The end result being the same, the system complexity and front end UI/UX however differing to an extent.
Without a doubt the NDS + 555 PS source is very capable and the fact you highlight an integrated solution to supporting new services to extend your enjoyment of that system is testament to the value of the system you’ve invested in.
All hopefully useful insight to others on the various means and methods to leverage different generations of hardware to maximise their usability and serviceable life.
Please don’t interpret my comments as a negative reflection on differing approaches to system setup. I’m sure you get immeasurable pleasure from your setup as I know I do myself from my, somewhat more modest as it is by comparison equivalent.
Almost the weekend, time for some listening perhaps!

Being able to use Spotify and Tidal are also part of their original functionality. Losing this capability would make the devices pretty darn obsolete.

Definitely

No it wasn’t. Spotify and Tidal came after the introduction of the old streamers. They were released with UPNP and internet radio only.

Some of the earlier streamers had to have a hardware upgrade to do this, my old NDX needed a new streaming board which was installed by a local dealer.

That is interesting. Maybe new streaming boards could become available in the future. That would be something!

Not that it is on topic but my nds/555ps dr has been playing for a few hours now. It’s rather special compared to the bare ndx.

I use my 272 to stream music from my nas. I have an FM tuner and a record player connected. I use its dac so that I can take an optical signal from the telly. If I want to listen to Qobuz I can use Bubble upnp on my nas. So losing Spotify or Tidal would not affect me in any way whatsoever. Things would just trundle on as they are now. It really is not necessary to have the very latest whizz bang gizmo.

2 Likes

The legacy streamers cannot be upgraded.

@anon4489532

Not true for the Mu-so range AFAIK…

This was the upgrade to allow Tidal and Spotify, they cannot be upgraded to the new architecture.

Yes I am aware. They could be in the future though.

Highly unlikely

I very much doubt it

1 Like

Naim could support their customers making an awesome streamer. But I assume they prefer customers upgrading.

Saying Spotify is new is wrong. It’s been around since 2006. N272 released in 2015. It’s only bad product management creating products still sold today being old when you purchase it.

1 Like

Streaming was commodity in 2015 too. Not in the UK or? Streaming locally however is a minority. Looking back on Naim products I’m not in the category of people that admire Naim predictions of the future. I think their management really need to step up there.

1 Like

If naim enter a market being digital and IoT they must understand they cannot create a platform and hope it can survive for 10 years. It’s not rocket science really. Either you include hw to survive for updates for 10 years or you step up releases of new products just like competition is doing. I think they might have a to big foot left in the old world of HIFI. Hoping for a change now.

1 Like

Perhaps you could offer your services to Naim as a consultant. You seem to know exactly what to do and how incredibly simple it is. I’m impressed.

1 Like

Perhaps Naim isn’t really for you. Have you considered Sonos I wonder?

This always happens when people complain here. It’s so tiring really. I will assume you are either employees or simply do not care about product development since you are happy campers with whatever Naim.

Naim do a lot of stuff great but not everything. Why must there always be a defending mechanism triggering every time consumers have a wish for improvements? Are you employed by Naim? Learn and get better instead and listen to complaints. Accept that this company is not bullet proof. Look at NDX. It took Naim 1 year and then a major update of it. It was like “holy we forgot!”.

They still sell 272 and it’s old and discontinued when you purchase it. Is that proper planning to you? I could accept it for a Sonos priced product but Naim is to be considered high end but they have a tough time keeping up nowadays.

2 Likes

If it was discontinued it wouldn’t be possible to buy it. It does the things it does and that won’t change. If you don’t like it don’t buy it.

1 Like