The old streaming architecture

There is nothing stating you cannot get the latest updates when purchasing a 272 today. Neither is it reduced in price. That is fooling customers. Sorry but that is the truth even though you have a Naim tattoo.

2 Likes

But you’ve just bought one. I don’t understand the righteous indignation.

So what are ‘the latest updates’?

As far as I can tell the 272 does exactly what it says on the tin, it supports UPNP, Internet Radio, Spotify and Tidal.

There are no updates pending that require it work for these services.

The newer generation supports more, these are features not available on that model.

That seems pretty simple to me.

I bought a 5 year old at 1650GBP knowing what I got. Purchasing a 272 new today at full price with no future updates making it future proof for say 5-10 years more is ripping of consumers. Imagine purchasing an iPhone new today and then realise it’s not getting the new updates. Not an issue you say? Ah sorry this iPhone was released 25 years ago. We forgot to tell you you cannot use this and that even though sold side by side with NDX2 etc.

2 Likes

A product sold as new today at this price should be the new generation. Not 10 years old.

2 Likes

Well that escalated quickly, I only went to the chippy to pickup our dinner!
May I suggest a glass or 3 of your favourite tipple?
I’m leaning towards red wine personally…

2 Likes

Surely any Naim potential customer will check out what’s available and discuss features with their dealer. There is no rip off. You are simply stirring the pot. Anyway, if you think it’s all a great conspiracy then nothing will change your mind.

Presumably a reputable dealer will advise a potential buyer that the 272 is obsolete in terms of internet streaming with significant hardware limitations.

Where Naim’s performance here is regrettable is the lack of transparency in communicating whether or not it will be upgraded, leaving customers to second guess what the best option is for them. They also seem to be extraordinarily slow in getting a replacement to the market, if they intent to, which does create a bit of a heavy-left foot approach despite the best attempts of the 272 fan club to defend them selling obsolete products.

Anyway, you won’t see a replacement at Munich in May as project hysteria and panic has lead to the event being canceled due to the end of the world, so it won’t matter anyway, we’re all doomed.

3 Likes

Yes, a small but vocal minority though. Usually involving the 272 and Fraim, but not the Core. Oddly old products versus new.

There is no conspirancy but, since Naim have decided to stop publishing user guides for their products, a regrettable lack of transparency. I assume most dealers are honest but some do not seem to know in detail the limitations and the assets of the products they sell, as one of the recent threads on the Uniti Core suggests. Some ND5XS2, NDX2 and ND555 users are not aware of the fact that their streamers can also work as UPnP servers again, among others, because of the lack of detailed technical information.

1 Like

Caveat emptor applies - as with anything.

Any computer-based technology (=renderers/streamers, Naim or any other brand) is inherently obsolescent in terms of ability to make it keep up with anything in the future. The worst I have known was a “smart” TV where the vital apps started disappearing after only a like the idea of the DAC separate from the playing software, because You can upgrade separately if you want one aspect better. In the case of online streaming services that would be the key to long term adaptability once you have a DAC that is right and doesn’t need upgrading you can keep up with the inevitable changes and developments caused by those platforms and technologies, with the DAC lasting indefinitely as other electronics.

I wonder if that is true in the high fidelity end of the consumer audio market?

I guess I missed the memo my SU is obsolete, don’t mind me I’ll be over here streaming my Radio Paradise FLAC.

1 Like

Spotify launched in 2008. Before that it was just a semi-closed beta filled with pirated content. And the API:s took a while after the launch. Not that it matter much.

Right now poor Naim is sitting in the middle here. Upgrades, longevity and re-capping on the hardware side. Aging software on the other (almost like jarvis cocker was thinking of naim when he wrote that song).

One already mentioned solution is to break out the flakey internet stuff into its own cheap box that pumps out upnp. Or something that run on an ipad or appletv doing the same. and keep just internet radio and the low-level protocols (upnp, raat, airplay and whatever android is using) in the expensive box.

But perhaps its easy for me to say. I dont even like the current streaming services much! How about plugin-cards like the Linn Selekt … if I skip Qobuz I get a cheaper streamer with one or two cards less to compete for that expensive power-supply!

1 Like

I don’t get what the heck you are talking about. These first gen products are Network Players with limited streaming capabilities added over time.

The next gen products (which by the way have been on sale for over a year) are Streamers, designed and built to be used as both Internet playback Streamers with Network player capability with over the air upgradability.

If you wanted an Internet Streamer with over the air upgradability then YOU bought the wrong product.

I’m not claiming I have bought the wrong product. I know what I have bought. Does people purchasing a new 272 today know that it’s such an old platform? You can assume so. I will argue quite many notice this too late. That is my main point here. But it’s always the fault of those not saying hurray to everything Naim isn’t it. Naim is 100% bullet proof. Nothing to improve. I’m stupid. Everyone’s thinking different is stupid. Close the borders. Enemy is near!

4 Likes

Ok. And my point is not educating oneself on an expensive purchase is not an excuse nor the fault of the product manufacturer.

I think there is everything to be said for hifi companies making great dacs, these all in one boxes seem to have a life. HDX owners must be delighted that naim cannot ‘source’ SSDs anymore??

I read that as ‘we dont really want to deal with these anymore’, perhaps this is a portent for all of these types of devices?

You simply cannot go wrong with a pi, or pc, or some other device you are in control of.

For much of the life of those streamers that has been a feature and functionality that was very basic to the overall value proposition of the device. Losing that functionality would make those devices almost worthless.

I am happy with my 272 purchase, which I made some time back. It would be a very foolish purchase now. I think it is a bit of a disservice that they are still selling it since they appear to have zero intention of supporting the legacy platform anymore.

Following my question, I’ve started a poll to find out. Obviously only Naim forum members, so no indication as to how it relates to the wider population - but then this thread is about Naim products

1 Like