The Opposite of Tweaking Mania?

Yes the same “Wakey, Wakey!!” I remember.

I am not sure how Billy Cotton or similar bands influenced my musical taste as band music does not feature in my collection.

The radio was on most of the time, no TV in the house, and so many of the radio programs became a familiar “sound track” to my childhood.

It’s the exact moment before you find a box needs a recap.

Totally recognise it… I think when you get the right equipment the urge for tweaking goes… as you say you don’t want to upset the balance and enjoy…and after years of some disappointments and fiddling around you get get feeling of satisfaction and that smirk on your face…

However, if am honest I am now thinking I want to de clutter and simplify my system to some extent…
I guess simplification and consolidating your system is the true opposite of tweaking… and I think you get there once you get total satisfaction with your music replay… you want to see if you can still achieve more simply…

I think you also get to the point that you realise that tweaks don’t really make a huge gain… a change yes, but less so gain…

8 Likes

Yes perhaps… however I wonder if the urge for tweaking is driven by some sort of dissatisfaction in the audio replay system’s performance… and perhaps the effort invested in tweaking is not commensurate with the gains given.? and effort might be better spent elsewhere… unless of course tweaking is just a manifestation of some sort of obsessive behaviour… in which case fair enough…
I expect the cumalitive effect is more a case of exponentially diminishing returns rather than true synergistic gains.

3 Likes

Agreed. Although I’m sure we all want to get the best sound we can from the equipment we have, I’d always prefer to listen to the music.

4 Likes

Often get the system sounding fab and then read something on a forum and mess it up !!

3 Likes

We need a Tweaks Anonymous organisation to help support those suffering from this debilitating illness that breaks up family life and depletes savings.

The big test of the cure is that you can read the mania thread and resist the temptation.

Phil

6 Likes

I have often felt many things system wise comes down to balance. It is different for each of us, as well as how are systems are set up and chosen. Sometimes it takes maybe a side step to realize that one has upset that balance a bit.

Also, the desire to tinker and “improve” can side rail things a bit too. Maybe too, it just comes down to being satisfied with what one has and simply enjoy it.

5 Likes

Easily. I’m not tempted by the ‘full loon’.

G

1 Like

Considering you just got a 552 and NDX2, I’m interested in where you go from there to consolidate. Drop the Hugo and LP12?

1 Like

@Simon-in-Suffolk, aren’t you curious what a 300DR might do to your speakers? :innocent:

Actives
Btw had my 552 for two years now…

No, but I am curious about actives.

Hahaha. To me 2 years is “just recently bought”.

Active ATCs only save one box if you have a 250.2 currently. It’s not a massive consolidation. I mistakenly had this idea you meant to do away with half the boxes or something similar.

This is boring. Too much consensus, too little mania, too much harmony, no infuriation. This is not why I read this forum.

Where are the nordic outbursts, the random French internet downloads, the use of inflammatory words like bout*que, the sheer passion and narrow-minded views, the joy of observing pan-Eurpoean misunderstanding.

Sorry chaps, this thread is going to have to get far more confrontational if it is going to reach 100 posts, let alone 5600.

Now let me see if I can make a start. Tweaking is harmless, usually costs bu*ger all, is easily reversible if you don’t like the outcome, is fun and can be entirely ignored if you just want to listen to music and have no interest in improving SQ for very little money.

No one has to tweak, and no one has to get manic.

11 Likes

Cynicism borne from a deep respect for the placebo effect has discouraged me from tweaking or upgrading for many years. Whenever I hear an audiophile argue against proper double-blind testing, my money becomes even more firmly stuck in my pocket.

6 Likes

Winkyincanada,

In the meantime it seems you’ve been tweaking the room quite a bit based on your other post (new TV, new furniture, new artwork…) :slight_smile: You were just too busy to change the system!

Not necessarily ATCs either…

I’ve been toying with the idea of active speakers too. Anything else on your shortlist that you’d care to divulge? The only possibles on mine so far are the ATC 19, 20 or 40.
(Other than possibly Kii 3, or Dutch & Dutch 8C, but I know nothing about either of them.)

I am rather taken with the Acoustic Audio AE1… from all accounts as long as you don’t expect to push to very high levels they are rather good…
Understated and modest in size… I think they would work well in my listening room…