The Opposite of Tweaking Mania?

Acoustic Energy AE1? I had the passives (on AE1 Stands) some years back and was very impressed with them.

G

1 Like

I preferred the Dutch and Dutch 8C over the Kii when I demoted them and went back to hear the 8C a couple of times as they were very impressive. Ultimately I preferred the ATC’s that I bought choosing the 40’s that suit my room .

I also felt there was too much going on in 1 box with the D&D’s etc and quite a young company . They are on to something though re removing the room .

Interesting, my dealer has started stocking AE speakers again. I suspect he might try to persuade me that they’re not up to the job compared to more expensive options, but it’s good to keep an open mind.

This whole idea of putting amps, and even digital electronics, inside the speaker, does seem to me to go against so much of the Naim engineering approach to HiFi. They go to all that trouble to mechanically decouple everything. Fraim, fancy plugs on Powerlines and interconnects, boards on suspended brass plates, etc. Then you get manufacturers putting amps, DACs etc. inside boxes that are specifically designed to vibrate like crazy. Clearly, there is room for different designs here.

1 Like

Naim’s approach is tried and tested but it’s interesting to see new designs and theories . On paper having everything in one box with everything bespoke is ‘probably’ the ideal but the box vibrates and that’s the compromise. They do sound good though and will evolve. The use of DSP will be much more common in the future IMO .

The first thing I asked about ATC Actives was how the rear amp packs were isolated, then I listened to them and listened to them . I’ve also pretty much forgotten about tweaking since I’ve had the ATC’s . Its very reassuring knowing you have the ideal amps for your speakers even though there must be some isolation compromise involved but my ears tell me differently. I will upgrade my source soon but that’s always been the plan .

1 Like

Simon , as discussed on another thread I also think the AE1 Actives are very interesting . But , as you’ve been an ATC 19 user for many years and they work in your room , surely you must be intrigued by Active 19’s ?

Naim have already put everything in a speaker box and it works - it’s called a Mu-So!

Maybe it’s time to revisit some of the late Peter Belt’s theories?

Or Jimmy Hughes’

Yes… I would like to compare and contrast. However I think I want to downsize speakers… and I do t think ATC do a smaller active.

1 Like

That’s down to the engineering judgement of the designer. Lots of different approaches and compromises / advantages with different approaches. I must admit to the D&D and Kii systems to be a real eye opener. There is a lot of obsolescence in one (well two) boxes but the results SQ wise are superb.

1 Like

@Simon-in-Suffolk what are your room dimensions if you don’t mind me asking. You seem to really enjoy the 19s and am a little surprised regarding the downsizing.

Listening room is about 7.5 x 4m plus additional alcoves and spaces … sit around 3.5 to 4m from speakers …
The 19s sound good … but I have passives… I am just increasingly aware of the limitations of passive speakers… hence why I am now interested in actives and also a chance of some de clutter.
Other speakers that have sounded good in my room include Russel K 50s and 100s as well SCM12s

JS, for curiosity, i went on your profile and saw something like cartoon instead of glass in your windows behind speakers.
Or I don’t see well?

As for ATC subject, I am not sure if it’s accurate or not, but 2 ATC dealers here in France said that ATC 19 need at minimum 20 m2 , in general, to perform well.

ATC and PMC do not put the amp inside their active speakers, at least not on any I’ve seen: it is bolted on the back. And if the cabinet is well designed the back may vibrate less than the shelf of many a hifi rack - or the casing of some Naim products that I seem to recall some people say they can hear resonating…

Hi @frenchrooster,not sure what you mean regarding cartoon by the windows but I have a triple window bank behind the speakers with cloth shades and then curtains over that.Do you have a suggestion?

1 Like

That’s a fairly large room again just surprised that you would consider a smaller speaker even if active. Are you satisfied with the lower frequency reproduction.

Yes it’s fine… keen to try actives… and simplify… and if it is at least as good I have achieved what I want…

2 Likes

I was very very close to buying D&D’s .

1 Like

They were fantastic speakers (as were the Kii 3). If they had a removable DSP / Amp pack then that would do it for me. My concern with both models was that there was a lot of tech inside each speaker that would become obsolete over time. An advantage that the ATC route has. The controlling of the room contribution was very impressive though. Not for everyone but for anyone with 15k or so to spend, these are well worth auditioning and would certainly be very tempting if i was starting again.

1 Like