The perfect listening room

I think I’d probably start with non- parallel walls - e.g a parallelogram, not necessarily regular, but left-right symmetrical , with a ceiling sloping in the front-back direction…. And I think I’d go for mounting speakers in-wall (as per studio “soffit mounting”. Nice dream, shame about the impossibility of finding a suitable building plot in a place I’d want to live. If I were to win many millions on the lottery, this would be one definite project, subject to finding a site…

2 Likes

So high ceiling at the speaker end sloping smaller towards the listener end?

No, the other way round IIRC.

Not a pentagon, but non-parallel walls: the Cardas golden trapagon may be worth a google.

1 Like

Angled walls and sloping ceilings are a good idea but apparently difficult to treat predictably.

A couple of thoughts on your last diagram… but does depend on how far you can go with treatment.

Why two systems in the same room ? If you lost system 2 you could then move system 1 racks to where system 2 rack is . That would give better symmetry and also allow room for equal treatment [bass traps] on left and right walls. You may be able to cover first reflection points.

Could you have floor standing bass traps either side of the patio doors.

Also treat the ceiling at first reflection points [as a minimum] as this is a often neglected area.

It all really depnds on how far you want , or are allowed , to go .

1 Like

But the theory is that the need for treatment is very much reduced…

1 Like

But then how often does practice beat theory. :wink:

2 Likes

In my first post I omitted to observe that the perfect listening room has no walls or ceiling! (And speakers capable of giving their best in that situation.) To emulate that in an enclosed space requires either very distant walls and ceiling, or other means to neutralise their effects….

1 Like

A bit more tweaking.

Click on the image for a larger preview or click twice for an even bigger preview.

Would a room corner like the one in the image bellow be beneficial or make any difference to room acoustics?

As in a protruding corner for pipe space or girders?

Just for room acoustics if it would make any difference, instead of a normal corner. Although it could be used/needed if it was a steel frame.

A bit like in this image, instead of a normal corner.

1 Like

That’s what I thought. It really depends on the size of the room. The biggest problem beyond sound is that they can complicate placement of things.

Our builder suddenly had these appear in the plans for the living room on the wall with the speakers after not being there for 6 months. I’ve thrown my toys out of the crib and told them to find another solution because it totally mucks up placement.

1 Like

So no acoustic benefit?

I think it would really depend on the room. I can imagine how they prevent nasty corner interactions at low frequencies.

However, as you can’t try with and without, for any given room you’ll never know. Pipe space is likely to be hollow and may resonate. Girder or load bearing masonry probably helps things.

But given the other complications of positioning, I strongly feel those concerns outweigh audio considerations. I had to cope with them in 2 out of the last 4 properties and they utterly buggered up graceful surround system positioning.

1 Like

I suppose the corner protrusion wouldn’t have to be that big, just two or three inches would change the shape of the corner and effect/prevent nasty corner interactions at low frequencies.

Isn’t that just creating an extra corner for low frequencies to build up ?

1 Like

Couple of thoughts spring to mind

If not suitably damped they may actually become tuned resonators, assuming there is a void behind them.

If they are there to hide something like pipes or structure, could you get some custom made bass traps. I.e. the large square ones and cut the back out to clear.

I have recently seen good results simply moving the speakers into the room. And then further improvements by placing absorption behind them

1 Like

If the corners have un-needed space, why not build bass traps into them, blended into the room decor? Indeed, looking at your proposed layout, I don’t see any provision for bass traps (which inherently are quite large, unless you go for active ones that are quite costly).

3 Likes

Great idea and a bit less crude than my idea!

1 Like