The Power Line

I’m in the states and I got a very noticeable improvement putting a Powerline on my SU and I’m still using it with my 272 now. I’m currently using an AV Options cryo power cord on my 250DR and it’s an improvement over the OEM powercord but I’ll eventually add a Poweline to it as well.

1 Like

I wanted to buy the Musicworks some time ago, but discovered that they don’t sell the Shukko alternative. It’s sad.
So I bought finally the Eros Titan powerblock and I enjoy it a lot. Very good.

Is it possible that PL makes recordings sound brighter than usual? Too much details breaking the music scene and image?
That’s what was my initial impressions when tryin them in my system. Thanks

I’ve not come across this before. In my experience Powerlines have not really changed anything tonally, rather improved dynamics and allowed the music to “breathe” more naturally.

3 Likes

The first thing I noticed when I put a PL on my CDX2/XPS was the increased immediacy, not subtle everything seemed closer.

1 Like

Hey FR, glad to see you back, hoping all is ok

2 Likes

Yes, thanks. Better now. Difficult year but summer and opening life now here are coming.

3 Likes

I read all the accolades for the Powerline on this forum. I bought 2 used to go on my SN2 and HicapDr. I’m not in the UK, in Canada. Sorry to say, I did not notice any difference over the much cheaper Audioquest cables I had on them. I sold the powerlines after a few months.

2 Likes

Actually, the 272 being connected to CDX2, was not correctly grounded ( chassis instead of floating).
Now after switching to floating, everything sounds much better, will try the PL again.

I am actually surprised what a big difference it maid - switching to floating. Really surprised.
It has to be outlined by Naim, I am not alone in this case I think

1 Like

It is explained clearly in the 272 manual…

2.5 Signal Ground Switch
Your NAC-N preamplifier is fitted on its rear panel with a Signal Ground switch offering two positions: Chassis and Floating. Select the Chassis position unless the NAC-N preamplifier is connected in a hi-fi system incorporating another earthed source component, or mains “hum” is audible through the loudspeakers. Contact your retailer, distributor or Naim for advice if necessary.
Note: “Connected” in the context above means an analogue audio signal cable that includes an earth connection. The digital inputs are isolated from the mains earth regardless of the Signal Ground switch.
Note: All Naim CD players are earthed so the Signal Ground switch should be set to floating if one is connected in the system.
No damage will be done if the wrong Signal Ground position is chosen, however the system sound quality may be compromised.
Note: NAC-N preamplifier analogue input and output negative connections for each channel are common. The mains earth (ground) should always be connected regardless of what other equipment is used. The mains earth primarily grounds the case and the electrostatic screen within the transformer, and is only connected to the signal negative if the Signal Ground switch is set to Chassis. In order to avoid hum loops, the signal negative of the whole system should be connected to the mains earth in one place only.

1 Like

It is mentioned somewhere in the manual, at least for the classic series.

For the newer streamers it should be made clearer, i agree.

1 Like

I know I know, but we don’t really pay attention when we buy it, that after adding one year later the CD player, you have to change the setting…

Apart from explaining in the manual (see James’ post above), Naim have always advised to go with whichever setting sounds best - everyone’s system is slightly different and may respond differently.

Well noted, thanks again!

Understood - At least you found an improvement with the ‘right’ setting so that’s good :+1:

1 Like

I recently switched from an xlr-> to rca->din. I haven‘t noticed the ground noise with the xle cable. The issue is not cable quality, but is the synergy ok or is the cable build correctly. But I highly doubt there will be differences between correctly working cables.

In this case, Naim has no way to outline anything

will read twice next time - nobody is perfect

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.