The power of music

I don’t contribute much on this forum, but one thing that brings us together is the power of music in what ever form / style this takes.
I lost my dad 2 years ago unfortunately to covid and Parkinson’s and watched his funeral online from New Zealand to England. Something i wouldn’t wish on anybody.
At the moment i’m in New Zealand and my wife is in England, Salisbury actually saying goodbye to her father who has this terribly disease that is Parkinson’s as well. He stumbled getting out of bed 3 weeks ago and broke his neck and is now paralysed from the neck down and has today sadly succumbed from his injury’s and condition.
I can’t do anything from here for my wife and have found myself sat in front of my nova listening to music.
I’m sorry i don’t really know what i’m trying to say apart from music means a lot to me at this time. Give your loved ones a hug please, life is precious !!

43 Likes

Sorry to hear the sad news of both your own and your wife’s loss.
It must be hard to be apart just now. Our thoughts are with both of you.

2 Likes

Gee that’s a lot going on over a short period of time, hope you guys are back together soon and there’s better days ahead. Take care.

2 Likes

That’s a really tough 2 years for you both @Roba, the distance involved must make it even harder. I’m glad that music is giving you some solace, I hope you and your wife are back together soon to care for each other. My thoughts are with you both.
I understand what you mean, in 2016 my beloved 56 year old wife died from lymphoma, the support of my friends and family first and the healing power of music second were what helped me through that time.

8 Likes

Sorry to hear your news and the difficulties when separated as you are - best wishes to you and your wife.

1 Like

I sincerely hope you and your wife get strength from each other to get through difficult times. Time is a healer but we never forget loved ones.

1 Like

Sincere condolences to you and your wife Roba.

I think from your post that your wife may have seen her father shortly before he passed on which should provide some solace.

I saw a friend today who went with his wife to her country for a family visit a few weeks ago. While there her father became unwell and unexpectedly passed away on their return to the UK, but it was uncanny that they had visited so soon before this event.

My parents both passed away in 2019, thankfully perhaps prior to Covid due to their health conditions, but they both left their bodies to medical science. Altruistic in the extreme but that did not help me come to terms with their delayed cremations in 2020 and 2022 when only limited numbers were allowed and even same household family members had to sit apart.

Tough times for you and your wife, you have my sympathy and support.

3 Likes

That is a really tough post detailing your situation and sad news of the past two years but thank you for posting; sharing is always received positively in this Naim community and support (such as it can be) is most definitely there. I do hope that the two of you soon pass on to better times.

1 Like

Very difficult time for you both, take care.

1 Like

Thanks for the support and kind words everyone, really appreciate it.

3 Likes

Wow, I don’t post here often, but I’m moved to do so in this case. As others have said, you’re going through tough times…it’s amazing how much of a healer music can be.

All the very best to you and yours and …here’s to, better times ahead…

1 Like

“Give your loved ones a hug please, life is precious !!”
Thanks for being generous with your thoughts today Roba, even when you are going through such difficult times. Tomorrow will be better than today. Enjoy your music if you can.

2 Likes

Thank you for reaching out. I hope you find comfort and peace.

God Bless.

1 Like

Tough times @Roba which I’m sorry to hear about and most of us here at probably at the age that we’ve experienced parental loss or are close to it.

My Dad died in 2004 and one afternoon a week or so later I was listening to music “properly” for the first time and my wife was delighted.
Music is such an important part of our lives, helping us remember, helping us forget, reminding us of great emotions and taking us up in a moment where the rush of the music is the emotion.

.sjb

3 Likes

@Roba and others missing loved ones.

I lost my dad about 2.5 years ago. I still miss him, every day.

It comes to us all - and it’s tough.

Just this week, I found an album that really covers the ground of losing a loved one.

This songwriter sings about the feelings we all have, but rarely speak about.

It has been the album I have patiently waited for; an album that has really allowed me to confront my grief.

As a passionate music lover, I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me.

Either way, there are no words - and we will never be the same.

We must learn to accept it.

Despite MCC’s fabulous other albums, I do believe this is her masterpiece. What a gal!

Heartfelt words, from another poet:
“There is nothing more sad or glorious than generations changing hands.” - John Mellencamp.

5 Likes

I do like MCC - her Christmas album has some wonderfully touching tracks on it. Thank you for this suggestion too.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.