The Reggae Thread

Really cool. Are these available in any digital format? Sorry for the blasphemy :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought i was quite knowledgeable in roots reggae but i have to admit i never heard of that album. The claim on the label website - If you only ever buy one roots reggae release in your life, this should be it - is probably overstated though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well it is a pretty essential album, check it out :+1:

How is the mix compared to the Blood & Fire release? I had this one 2 x vinyl back in the days (Blood & Fire) and thought it sounded fabulous.

1 Like

I have the B&F too, cant really add anything further than what I already said about the VP set. IMO its better
:heart:

Since i’m already here let me recommend one of the best (if you not the best) roots reggae albums made outside of the roots reggae era.

Rohan Lee - For the Poor (2000)

It features a cracking backing band from Belgium, where i had the pleasure to see them perform live when the album came out. We had a chance to hang out with Rohan, who had quite some issues with travel visa’s so the exposure of the album was quite limited. Unfortunatly i think he has not made any album ever since, which is quite a pity. His singing is top notch!

3 Likes

Just stumbled across Aston Barrett, definitely the ticket for calming down after a day on the road.

And having a read of this whilst I listen

1 Like

Just had to post this shot of a brilliant piece of graffiti art I spotted in Brighton this morning on a visit to my nearby Audio-t store

Jamaican Trombone legend Don Drummond

The lady is Anita Mahfood a nightclub dancer, singer and Don’s girlfriend whom he murdered due to his mental illness. He was committed to Jamaica’s Bell Vue Hospital (an asylum) where he died a few years later under suspicious circumstances.
Pity a well known national discount audio chain has partly covered it with their hoarding.

2 Likes

Steel Pulse gig tickets for Christmas off my daughter (hopefully it goes ahead), very happy!

Love Hugh Mundel’s Africa must be Free. Beautiful voice amazing lyrics.

1 Like

And my other absolute favourite

1 Like

My best mate since 1969 died a couple of weeks back, and a few of us have been doing our nuts in trying to remember an old reggae single he played in 1977 or thereabouts. The lyrics included these lines:
Let them go if you want them to prosper
Let them go or you’ll bring them disaster.
and
The youth of today is the man of tomorrow.

We all think it was possibly called The Youth Of Today, but no one is absolutely sure, and no one can remember the artist at all. Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Very sorry to hear about your friend. “The Youth of Today” was a reggae song by Musical Youth (better known for “Pass the Dutchie”), but it wasn’t released until 1982, and doesn’t contain the exact lyrics you quote.

Another candidate is “Youth of Today” by punk / reggae band Bad Brains. It contains the line “The youth of today is the man of tomorrow,” however it wasn’t released until 2012 (although it’s possible it was a cover of an earlier song).

Thanks Corry, but it wasn’t either of those.

You’re welcome! My curiosity is now piqued. Do let us know if you track it down.

I can tell you that it was obscure! I think it was on Island, and predated Musical Youth by about five years.

1 Like

Have you tried here?

I just tried that, Matthew. Still no luck but thanks for the suggestion.

A pal of mine had the (very obscure) single many years ago, but he died recently. A couple of us were trying to remember so we could compile a memorial playlist.

Interesting series on BBC Sounds
Rising Jamaican star Koffee presents a series of programmes showcasing her influences

10 1 hour episodes kicking off with Bob Marley

1Xtra’s Influence with…

One Love!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.