The Reggae Thread

Something a bit more modern released on Brighton’s Mr Bongo
I have these three LP’s but Prince Fatty is responsible for many more with numerous artists.
jpeg

jpeg

2 Likes

Quite an interesting video with Prince Fatty (Mike Pelanconi) about how he goes about constructing a dub. This bloke is a serious scholar of the reggae arts and is passionate about recreating the beautiful analogue Reggae sounds from our youths.

1 Like

2014 Debut from the new Reggae superstar Chronixx
jpeg

3 Likes

More new/old reggae a clash between Scotlands Mungo’s Hifi Sound System and Kenny Knots who some of you may remember from Unity Sounds back in the 80’s
jpeg

1 Like

Brand new Reggae music from Mungo’s Hifi and the incredible Eva Lazarus from Bristol on Scotch Bonnet Records

2 Likes
1 Like

Well Roon tells me these are my top 3 reggae albums that I’ve listened to in the 3 years or Roon ownership.

3 classics.

.sjb

3 Likes

One more before bed.

1 Like

Yes a great CD compilation I’m also lucky enough to own there have been a few over the years the Selectors Choice series are also very good.

1 Like

Rodigan was huge on Capitol Radio back in the 80’s the tapes of those shows where passed around and around and copied and copied fantastic memories first heard Sleng Teng on one of those tapes a massive, massive tune and a huge moment in reggae music.

1 Like

On Dennis Browns Promise Land Rhythm. A big new Reggae star from JA.

1 Like
1 Like

A couple of my favourite Dub Reggae LPs;

2 Likes

It was! I was there. 5th June 1977.

2 Likes

I cannot remember when I first heard reggae, it was late 60s Bristol, clubs, not clubs, in places just walking down the street. Then there was Joe Cocker and Sheffield Steel, I found Sly and Robbie so would buy anything involving them.
More recently on holiday in Cornwall, a typical British summer day in Sennen Cove we sought refuge in a beach cafe, staffed solely by Kiwi surfers, there were some very large Wharfedale speakers in the roof space. Really interesting bass lines and rhythms, discovered Fat Freddys Drop. Perhaps not purist, but interesting enough that I listen to one of their albums every week. Usually about the same time as Black Uhuru and then Ini Kamoze.

1 Like

Marley’s a bit mainstream for me, I was more in to the heavier dub side of things (man). This is my original copy from god knows when, early 80’s I think, it’s all a blur, still a great album.

3 Likes

My first two reggae purchases ever bought from Virgin Records in Brighton I was 13 or 14 at the time and Micheal Rose’s vocal style just blew me away. I still have the Black Uhuru but not the Isaacs though I do have all of the tracks featured on other LP’s.

fullsizeoutput_3c9

1 Like

Another favourite track back in the day was Burning Spear’s cover of The Grateful Dead’s Estimated Prophet. A girlfriend included this track as the opener to side two of a mix tape she did for me - brilliant;

3 Likes

I love that track and use it as one of my main demo tracks when evaluating equipment - superb bass. I’m sure you know it is off the Grateful Dead tribute double album Deadicated which has many other gems on it. Some are rather off the wall, such as Jane’s Addiction’s version of Ripple, but lovable all the same.
Winston Rodney (Burning Spear) became quite a Deadhead and wrote a couple of songs in their honour including this tribute to Jerry Garcia:

My love of reggae began with these two records raided from my best mate’s older brothers collection who had gone to University. I own both myself now and the Virgin compilation The Front Line is still a fantastic intro into 70’s roots and Soon Forward is an incredible LP.

2 Likes