The Reggae Thread

:heart:
1 Like

Monty Alexander interprets Thelonious Monk Inna Jamaica Stylee

23_MontyAlexander

Yeah. I wanted to introduce that to musicians who I consider open-minded, because when you say to the sophisticated, educated, academic people who are now teaching jazz in the school, and you say the word reggae, or you say the word Jamaica, they all have some kind of impression about it. “Oh yes, we go to Jamaica and wear a silly hat,” and maybe they go score some ganja, and they don’t know the depth of what led up to this thing called reggae, which is a spiritual thing at its greatest when Bob Marley was writing some of those songs. It’s a spiritual experience.

Contemporary Roots Reggae band The Uprising Roots Band well worth checking out. Their music is frustratingly hard to come by in physical formats but can be found on streaming platforms

disc-2848-the-uprising-roots-band-skyfiya

1 Like

Will check it out. I’m from Bristol but have not heard of them before. Had a quick listen sounds pretty good, reminded me of The Congos.

1 Like

I would highly recommend starting with their 1983 self titled debut and the second album The Frontline.
They have been reissued and are available digitally, cant vouch for those as I already have the original LP’s

This may well be of interest Bristol Archive Records documenting the Bristol Music Scene. I recommend The Bristol Reggae Explosion compilations

http://bristolarchiverecords.com/vinyl.html

3 Likes

Really enjoyed listening to the first Black Roots album. Fav track Opportunity.
Thanks.

1 Like

Timeless, still so relevant.
The follow up album The Frontline originally came out on the BBC Records label it was the soundtrack to a BBC sitcom back in the day about two brothers, one a Rastaman the other a Policeman.

1 Like

I love Jazz Jamaica, have seen them live many times and have most albums.
Still a firm favourite though is this early outing - Skaravan- before they expanded into the big band with orchestral arrangements.
This is the Hannibal/Rykodisc CD, great sound. There is another version on Skazz Records with a different cover

R-2349596-1572281527-5991.jpeg
R-2349596-1518244338-2699.jpeg

Just seen the DVD/BluRay is now out, just ordered a copy

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Also really well worth seeing is this documentary from about 10 years back, I think still available on DVD and the CD is fantastic with great sound.
Legendary Rock Steady era artists get togethor at Tuff Gong Studios and revisit some golden classics.
Always on the playlist at Dread mansions

R-2066393-1270676420.jpeg
:sunglasses:

1 Like

I’m so pleased to have tracked down a copy of this CD of The Soul Defenders At Studio One.
The last in the line of great Studio One house bands after The Skatalites, Soul Bro’s, Soul Vendors and Sound Dimension.
The Soul Defenders recorded at Studio One in the early seventies and included the great Freddie McKay and Joseph “Culture” Hill before he formed the band Culture.
This music is sublime, timeless and totally essential for anyone interested in vintage Jamaican music.
On the Canadian Heartbeat label who had a licensing deal in the nineties before Soul Jazz in the UK.
Heartbeat Original Reggae Masters series Flat analogue transfers with no remixing remastering.
Music for your heart and soul

I’ve since found it’s available to download from Bandcamp not sure of the source. Not as nice as the CD though with informative booklet and rare photos

Didn’t know this has just been released !!! Some real anthems on here.
Use Jah Words, The Victory & The Music stand out tracks for me.

Cheers

2 Likes

Nice one!
Luciano, The Messenger. We love him probably the greatest contemporary roots artist period. Seen him live many times, always moves the heart and soul.
He’s not recorded anything new for a few years now I think following the murder of his son. Wonderful to have him back recording and spreading the message.
Nice coincidence but I’ve just been listening to one of my favourites which is this early Fatis Burrell produced classic

Sad to hear the news of the passing of Dobby Dobson from Covid 19, one of the great singers of the Rocksteady era

RIP Respect due