The Reggae Thread

RIP

KINGSTON, Jamaica — Legendary reggae singer Bunny Wailer died in the Medical Associates Hospital in Kingston this morning. He was 73.

“Yes. He died about 8:00 this morning. I’m still right here with him,” his manager Maxine Stowe told OBSERVER ONLINE a short while ago.

Bunny Wailer had been in and out of hospital since his second stroke in July 2020.

Hailing from Trench Town, Bunny Wailer’s given name is Neville Livingston. He is a founding member of The Wailers, which included Bob Marley and Peter Tosh.

Marley died of cancer in May 11, 1981, while Tosh was killed at his St Andrew home on September 11, 1987.

Bunny Wailer’s albums include Blackheart Man, released in 1976, and Rock ‘n’ Groove which came out five years later. His hit songs include Cool Runnings, Ballroom Floor, Crucial, and Bald Head Jesus.

In 2017, the Jamaican Government awarded Bunny Wailer an Order of Merit, the country’s fourth highest honour. The Government again recognised his contribution to Jamaican music in February 2019 with a Reggae Gold Award.

Just seen this. Very sad. He was the soundtrack to much of my youth both with the Wailers and after. RIP and thanks for the music.

Me too!

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Still sore about this, been sinking in today, big loss. I’m the same as DATC, my favourite artist and Blackheart Man is my favourite album of all albums. The best gig I ever saw was Jah B at the Academy, back in the early nineties when he was still at the top of his game, thankful for that. There was even a slot on the BBC News at ten last night about his passing. Right about now, I’ve got one of his best tracks ‘Lifeline’ blasting out on the hifi - Naim of course!!

1 Like

Nice article by Lloyd Bradley in the Guardian.

1 Like

Thanks for posting @CliveB
Lloyd Bradley spot on and great to be reminded of Fire In Babylon which is a brilliant documentary.
:heart:

What your hands do,
It’s your own eyes that see,
So won’t you judge you’re actions
To make sure the results are clean.
It’s your own conscience that is gonna remind you
That it’s your heart and nobody else’s
That is gonna judge.

Be not selfish in your doings,
Pass it on
Help your brothers in their needs
Pass it on
Live for yourself - you will live in vain
Live for others - you will live again
In the kingdom of Jah Man shall reign
Pass it on

What’s in the darkness
Must be revealed to light
We’re not here to judge what’s good from bad
But to do the things that are right
On a hot sunny day
Under the shadow is rescue
But as the day grows old
I know where the sun is gonna find you

Be not selfish in your doings,
Pass it on
Help your brothers in their needs
Pass it on
Live for yourself - you will live in vain
Live for others - you will live again
In the kingdom of Jah Man shall reign
Pass it on,…

Bunny Wailer - Pass It On
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Lucky to have seen him a couple of times over here. He of course didnt tour a great deal and was quite reclusive, one of the reasons he ended up leaving the Wailers was due to Chris Blackwells insistence on having them play Rock venues which Bunny called freak clubs and not places for a devout Rasta man.
Last saw him at Birmingham 02 2005 iirc with Beres Hammond, getting the shivers now remembering it.
Also Brightons Essential Festival which I think would have been the same year as your Academy gig (Brixton?)
Lifeline is another of his many great songs, one of his first along with Searching For Love, one of Mrs Dreads favourites which I think was his first solo single, Bide Up with the Big Youth version and Arabs Oil Weapon.

Been spinning Blackheart Man over and over, listening now to In I Fathers House, Rock n Groove and Tribute
Bless up KDee
R-2311587-1543954130-3302.jpeg R-906656-1211680596.jpeg R-4595257-1370878820-4427.jpeg

Just noticed the thread reached the 1000 posts milestone, pity such a sad event has brought us here.
Thanks to all

1 Like

Some more Jah B…
TT still not back, so glad I have my original Bunny Wailer vinyl burned to disc…

R-2073891-1537829677-2123.jpeg R-2303195-1275557350.jpeg

Just arrived in the post.
I’ve got all the albums on mostly original vinyl pressings, but this cheap as chips CD set appeared well recieved by a few posters on the WYLT2021 thread, and still without TT I thought why not it will come in handy for sure…
BMW Complete Island Recordings

Jumped in at my favourite Bob Marley sans Peter & Bunny album.
Absolutely no complaints re the packaging or sound for the money.
I really like the little box small enough to carry 11 albums in your jacket pocket and the little replica sleeves look good.
Only very very slight gripe is the sleeves are too tight for the discs. Otherwise a fantastic little bargain, luvvly chubbly!

1 Like

Happy Birthday Eddy! :birthday: :balloon:

73 years old Today! :smile: :balloon:

3 Likes

Awesome footage of Eddy at Notting Hill Carnival, absolutely rammed. I have the complete film but it’s really hard to find

Bless up!

1 Like

BBC Radio 1Xtra - David Rodigan, Bunny Wailer Tribute

The above Rodigan show also features a nice interview with Miss Pat (Patricia Chin) who with husband Vincent founded Randy’s later the VP JA music label, shops and distribution company

Heads up to fans of classic reggae and Tidal subscribers.
This lovely playlist based on the essential recent documentary film of the same name, telling the story of Pat & Vincent Chin who founded Randy’s and son Clive Chins work in restoring the catalogue.

31 tracks on this playlist, some truly golden voices from a golden era of JA music

Do try to check the brilliant documentary film as well if you havent already

Wonderful music and a remarkable story more information about the Randy’s story and documentary on the link

www.reggaeville.com

Studio 17 - The Lost Reggae Tapes Film Now @ Tidal & Qwest TV

Also coming very soon is Patricia Miss Pat Chins autobiography in hard back book.
41KgvZvSJDL.AC_SY400

5 Likes

Amazing!
Lee Scratch Perry turns 85 | Entertainment | Jamaica Gleaner

1 Like

Yeah I saw him as a sprightly 80/81 year old about this time in 2017.

He did great dub reggae paen to our national drink.

.sjb

3 Likes

The original Wailing Wailers Studio One LP. In the early sixties around '64 when the Wailers formed at Studio One they were a more fluid line up as producer Coxsone Dodd experimented with different vocalists harmony arrangements.
This original album had Junior Braithwaite It Hurts To Be Alone & Beverley Kelso Lonesome Feeling, their not pictured but credited on the sleeve notes. Another of The Wailers family that was never formally credited is Constantine “Vision” Walker.

Bunny Wailer later in the Eighties recreated an imagined early Wailers album featuring the original members utilising old session and demo tapes dubbed over modern freshly recorded rhythm tracks.
The Never Ending Wailers it’s a great album, and features overlooked original members Constantine Walker, Junior Braithwaite and introduces Peter’s son Andrew Tosh, well worth seeking out

Lee Scratch Perry with Pinochio on a Nokia phone :grin:
20210320_201223
Tidal Bandcamp/Tuff Scout