The REL No.25 has Landed!

Looks a very calm, cool listeninmg room :+1: Love the equipment rack and the Gustav Klimt print - very classy!

2 Likes

Hi ryder, looks very nice and I canā€™t help wondering, what a Townsend Podium would do for that SUB :thinking: Enjoy Peter

1 Like

Hi Peter, I did look at the Townshend Podiums about a year ago when I was looking to isolate the main speakers in my system. Unfortunately I didnā€™t have the budget so I settled with the Isoacoustics Gaia. People who compared the Townshend Podiums to the Isoacoustics Gaia found the latter to be inferior.

I suspect the Podiums will bring a marked improvement when used with the sub. Since Iā€™m all tapped out, the Nobsounds will have to do although they are not as effective as the Podiums.

1 Like

Update. Added some isolation to the sub. Bass now sounds tighter and more seamless. Crossover frequency is bumped up from 62 to 68 Hz without any ill effect, an increase of 6 Hz. Volume on the sub is now lower to compensate for the higher crossover frequency.

In summary, itā€™s an improved performance with these isolation feet which is a worthwhile addition. Previously on spikes or the sub sitting directly on the floor without spikes.

The image below shows the previous set up where the sub was sitting on the floor without any spikes.

2 Likes

Gents, massive improvement in the bass as I listen to more familiar music. The low bass and midbass sound clear and defined without any bloat, smear or resonance. This is the first time Iā€™m experiencing a seamless integration with the sub making its presence felt. Music now sounds larger than life as the sound spreads further out to the room.

If anyone has not tried isolation for the sub, I would recommend trying it in your system.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s the isolation system youā€™ve used?

Itā€™s the Nobsound springs. I have some under the components as well.

1 Like

Hi @Richard.Dane.
would it be possible to have a short discussion off line.
Thanks in advance.
Mark

Mark, Iā€™ve messaged you.

Hi 916SPS, would be interested to know if you are still happy with the performance of the No. 25 in your system. From the A/B testing of switching the sub on and off, does the difference sound subtly appreciable or night and day to you?

The reason I ask is I am considering a single S510. Two or more subs are ruled out due to space and budget issues. I still have a slight hesitation as the impact of one sub is regarded as minimal by most people although itā€™s better than no sub. Two to four(or six) subs are usually recommended for optimal or best performance.

1 Like

Hi Ryder, simple answer ā€¦ yes and absolutely. The soundstage really just collapses when I switch the REL off. The addition of the sub gives so much more body and three dimensionally to the music which is quite staggering.

The sub seems to double the size of my listening room and affects all the frequency range - mids are clearer and any edge on the treble is smoothed off.

The S800s already have plenty of bass, especially now that Iā€™ve added two more NAP 500s to active set up, but the REL builds upon this. I have a cross over at 64 and volume at 20 which is actually quite low and the bass does not dominate the room in any way.

Have you looked at the REL carbon special it pushes towards the higher spec. subs but at a better price point.

I have a friend who went out and bought the REL G1MkII after hearing my kit and is also very pleased with the results.

Position wise it works very well in-between my speakers as you can see below.

Cheers Pete

14 Likes

Thanks Pete. I havenā€™t look looked at the REL Carbon Special as itā€™s above my budget. I believe it is also too big for the current space. As a matter of fact, I was initially looking at the T9x and wrote to REL to seek a suitable recommendation with the hope that the model would work out. It turned out that the T9x isnā€™t good enough for my Marten speakers and as such was not recommended. The S510 was recommended as a minimum instead and the S812 was said to be better. The former was agreed to be more suitable for the smallish room.

It is good to know the No. 25 has brought immeasurable pleasure to they listening experience. I now have confidence to proceed with the plan.

Cheers.

1 Like

My experience re the Rel adding both body to the music and also opening up the soundstage is the same as you guys. Use the s510 with Quad 2805s and i just simply cannot believe what an improvement it made. I was always a purist and avoided subwoofers but during covid i got bored and went to my audio shop. They had the Rel on a pair of Proac k6 sigs and it was amazing. That got me interestedā€¦and the rest is history. Thats about the only good thing that came out of covid for meā€¦

4 Likes

Wow the s800 look great and rather huge.

1 Like

Hello!

I added two sub BK Electronics P12 300 (former engineers from RELā€¦) to my Focal 1028be, not only did it improve the depth of the bass but also the medium and the trebleā€¦ I started with a sub but two is better the bass is more consistent with the speakers. It took me several days to settle them but now itā€™s nice!

6 Likes

Wide angle setting on the iphone Gazza :wink: :grinning:

1 Like

May I ask: did you connect these low level or high level, and how easy was it to set up (or not) please?

Hi CJ.

Iā€™ve connected low level with Din to RCA from my Supercap DR that feeds signal to my SNAXO, this is because I have an active system and this was the only way to get a full signal to the REL and was very simple to connect once explained to me.

In a single amp system the preferred way by REL is to connect from the back of the amp wit the blue high line lead that they supply. Their manual explains how to do this and again seems quite simple to do. There are other thoughts from others on this forum that you should connect from the back of your speakers.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

This is how I connect my two Rel T7/x and it works perfectly

2 Likes

I connected my high-level sub with the speakons to the subwoofers directly on the speakers.

It takes time to place them correctly and adjust them in frequencies and volume in relation to the speakers and the room but itā€™s worth it!

2 Likes