The sea and water themed music

Not forgetting A Sailor’s Life by Sandy Denny and Fairport Convention - a Classic.

5 Likes

Not just the Four Sea Interludes but the whole of Peter Grimes which has the sea running through it. A 20th Century masterpiece.

The Sea by Frank Bridge (Benjamin Britten’s teacher)

Tintagel Arnold Bax (just about qualifies)

Calm Sea and a Prosperous Voyage Mendelssohn

4 Likes

Johann Strauss - Blue Danube.

I like June Tabor’s Ashore with its Finisterre track especially because I finished my pilgrimage from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela there.

Phil

4 Likes

I really cannot believe you didn’t have any June Tabor records, but am glad to see that is being remedied. Here is one I’d recommend.

3 Likes

Anything new “wave” … groan

1 Like

Just arrived … ripped and recognised immediately by Roon. And I was pleased to see that she is a cricket fan too; hence, the reference to the shipping forecast on the liner notes.

4 Likes

Re June Tabor , have a listen to her tracks , Flowers of the forest, and Theband played Waltzing Matilda. Both WW1 songs but beautifully sung.
Anyway water songs:-
Tide lines, walking on the Waves.
Runrig, Mara, (Gaelic for sea)

1 Like

Bit of a stretch I will admit … but the music is sublime which, I suppose, is all that matters.

1 Like

I was going to mention Master and Commander but this is a better suggestion - thanks

Windjammer! I grew up listening to this as a child. It is a soundtrack to the film and is an excellent series of songs and pieces of incidental music featuring Pablo Casals and various Norwegian singers and groups all singing in English I hasten to add. On the Sony Label I believe.

1 Like

51dFDUHFH1L.AC

The Telemann Water Music is well worth hearing, in this recording coupled with the usual Handel Water Music, both performances well worth a listen.

2 Likes

Thanks, I don’t know the Teleman but I will look it out.

2 Likes

From the lack of likes, I quess it must be pretty low down. :grinning: Maybe this will be appreciated more.

Gamma - Voyager

King Creosote and Jon Hopkins’ Diamond Mine.

Full of atmosphere and powerful imagery of life on the sea off the east coast of Scotland.

4 Likes

Obscure Tears for Fears track found on some versions of Songs from the a big Chair. Pharaohs has a wonderful sample of the Shipping Forecast from the era when announcers really sounded like announcers… conjures up the romance of late night radio…

1 Like

A Sea Idyll by John Ireland. I’ve mentioned him before on this forum but it’s gorgeous, atmospheric impressionism for the piano.

4 Likes

I have been scrutinising my library this time, what follows is a small part, some links to water might be tenuous, but there is a link. One piece where I have not found a satisfactory recording is Vivaldi’s Four Seasons. Last year I attended a spoken performance by Figo which included the sonnets. Subtly different timing, phrasing and emphasis made the references to thunder, hail and rain much clearer.
What follows is my choice, there are covers that others may prefer.
Paul Robeson - Ol’ Man River
Tom Jones, or Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Didn’t It Rain
Ann Peebles - I Can’t Stand The Rain
The Witches Of Elswick - Two Sisters
Rhiannon Giddens - Waterboy
Lady Maisery - Land On The Shore
Leveret - Dundas
Lincoln Durham - Mud Puddles
Laura Marling - Alas, I Cannot Swim (album)
Ladysmith Black Mambazo - Rain, Rain Beautiful Rain
Peter Bellamy - The Transports (and the 2017 interpretation)
Alison Moyet -All Cried Out
Bob Dylan - Hard Rain…choose your own cover version
Ben Harper and The Blind Boys of Alabama - Well, Well, Well
Taj Mahal - You Don’t Miss Your Water
Calexico - Sinner In The Sea
Beth Porter and the Availables - Salty Water
Catrin Finch - Tides (album)
Cowboy Junkies - Mariner’s Song
Cyril Tawney - Navy Cuts (album)

2 Likes

Aldeburgh is just on the doorstep for my folks who live in Hollesley just down the coast. Vague memories of attending the Aldeburgh festival in style as a young kid - sailing up in our small Edwardian wooden yacht, dropping anchor just off the beach and stepping ashore from the dinghy to watch the fireworks, although I hated the bangs!

1 Like

Just remembered this as well!
Not strictly about the sea, but the predominant warbling bird call in the first movement is a Curlew, a sound I will forever associate with calm evenings on waters of the Suffolk coast. And it’s a fab piece (Cantus Arcticus).

4 Likes

Some excellent suggestions here above; however, I’ve been distracted by one song: ship building. It’s so poignant. Here are three interpretations / versions that move me, but I must get the original one.

2 Likes