The Sic Safco capacitors have gone

It depends on the questions, as you have repeatedly demonstrated in this thread.

1 Like

Why not?

4 Likes

I think everything is great here in this small commune while taking pictures of dogs and cats.

As soon as individual starts asking questions about quality and changes (because the tooth fairy is not omnipotent), then is here exposed to direct attacks from people they know nothing about. And vice versa. this kind of act speaks of the spirit of the community that supports you while you buy certain products.

It is absolutely clear that after covid, procurements in big companies have problems with electronic parts , logistics and prices that are constantly rising and that cannot be controlled.

All else has been mentioned many times but it appears that little bees are tying to provocate me. That still won’t change capacitors to the old ones.

1 Like

Naim have been using Samwha WF capacitors for the application described by Steve for at least 12 months.

Having a higher voltage and temperature rating than the SG, the WF will obviously have a longer life.

1 Like

Respectfully, there’s a massive intellectual deficit in your post, which is also littered with insults about elements of this Forum, and yet you want responses and comments on matters which have already been explained, at some length, by Steve (who has given his time freely and out of hours).

8 Likes

One thing firm about this, you are what you are.

1 Like

It’s hard to define whether a question is sensible and thoughtful.

Not really

At the end of the day one fact is absolute fact and can’t be argued. Naim wanted the Promisic caps to be used within the 332. They made room on the boards for them, showed a prototype shot just 5 months ago using them, and commented how good they sound when I called attention to them. Those are the facts. They wanted them within the product for a reason.

To all of the people making a big deal about those of us who requested some information on the change, the knife cuts both ways. If you believe that Naim knows best and shouldn’t be questioned; fine, then they know best. They also originally chose the Promisic caps for a reason because they know best.

If anyone should be mad it is Naim management and the bean counters. If the design team could have used such a cheap cap in the place of a much more expensive one then why didn’t they originally? They perform at the same level, right? The last time I sourced the Promisic caps they were $4.70 each with an MOQ of 250 pcs. Those Samwha caps probably cost Naim less than $0.30 each purchased in bulk.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have thought there would be that much pressure from the bean counters as Naim operate in the rarified world of high-end hi-fi where the BOM cost is a very small fraction of the sale price.

3 Likes

I think Steve has more than explained the rationale behind the choice here and the replacement was chosen purely on the basis of performance. As he stated, if none had performed to the level required then Naim would have had to stick with the original caps and tried to manage the supply issues as best as possible, probably meaning long delays and restriction to build numbers. Luckily one of the alternatives the R&D team auditioned came up trumps and so that situation was avoided. If it cost less then that would be a bonus, but under such circumstances would never be the main driver behind the choice.

Frankly, I think any cynicism here is misplaced. You’ve had it explained straight for the horses mouth, so to speak, by Steve Sells, Naim’s Technical Director of Electronics. If you have never met Steve or know little about him, then I would urge you to read some of the many interviews posted online which gives some insight into how he and the R&D team go about their their work at Naim.

I can’t really think what else there is to say on the matter, so out of respect to Steve and the team I’m going to close this one now.

32 Likes