The trick to being content with your system?

That’s great. I’d love to know what percentage of retail you got; whether it was a domestic sale; and whether you sold direct or through a Japanese dealer.

Go to a hifi show and hear mega expensive systems that sound worse than whatever you have at home. Go home and count your money!
A huge factor is the availability of pretty much unlimited music via streaming. I spend most of my time listening to new music rather than trying to squeeze the last drops of resolution from DSOTM and so avoid that permanent state of worry/mild dissatisfaction…
Another former multibox/floorstander owner now more than happy with a Nova.

4 Likes

sold in the uk - if you are talking about Japan only, then fair enough.

UK - sold for 15% less than I paid for it.

Ahhh nuts. You got my hopes up for a minute there.

It’s all Hunter Gatherer related isn’t it?
Go out there and seek down the biggest and best beast you can find.

I wonder where being content with one’s hifi system falls on Maslow’s hierarchy of needs?

4 Likes

The forum is a funny place to be.

Obviously the Hifi corner is mainly made up of threads regarding people wanting to upgrade and make changes.
The other categories less so. One could try and not frequent Hifi Corner so often.
My passion is certainly music not Hifi but there is no doubt I love it as a hobby also. I certainly spend a good amount of time on the forum and there are many of us who have been on here for many years.

We all know each other like friends in this weird forum based way.

Naim in many ways rightly or wrongly has become a passion we all share for the love of music.

Maybe we should speak more highly of people’s current setups more often and bring more conversation back to the ultimate fundamental…the music. :man_shrugging:

Popeye

3 Likes

It’s not a need of itself, but the need most appropriate?
Mostly stuck on esteem. Self or others.

You want to get to that point of actually hearing the music.
Instead of being distracted by those odd hifi attributable artefacts.
Such as hiss. rumbles. chuffing. distortion. Boom. Overweight. Undernourished.
Out of focus. One note bass. Etc. Etc. Etc.
Then just more new music.
Although enjoying favourites is ok, so long as you don’t mind hearing the same presentation every time you play it.

1 Like

I would say it’s the first 4 points of the pyramid in a practical sense:

Self-actualization

Finding the right components, tweaking them and getting the best results out of them. This gives a feeling of accomplishment.

Esteem

Impress others with your wonderful setup, either in person or on the forums.

Love/belonging

A sense of friendship or comradery in the community, sharing experiences with like-minded others

Safety

Our equipment is expensive, so we want it to keep it safe and in good working order. We have both emotionally and financially invested in our setups.

2 Likes

I love my Empyreans and if I couldn’t have speakers, I’d be more than happy to have a system based around them. I’ve managed to create a speaker system that sounds very like them… it feels balanced and I just need to add two shelves to bring everything together.

While I really like listening to my speaker system in he evening, I love listening to my Empyrean while I’m working… just perfect!

The exact opposite in my experience. The very best electronics will be completely compromised by the wrong speakers in the wrong room.

Regards,

Lindsay

5 Likes

I certainly found this out when I sold my ND555 that was less than a year old. Took a real bath in the US. Had I known, I would have just kept it for the bedroom.

I can see both sides of the argument being true in certain circumstances.

Speakers are very room dependent, so if they work really well in your room then I would see them as being the last thing to upgrade as the better front end will just make them sound better. I am in that position now and loathe to upgrade mine as I am planning to move in the next year or so, the plan is to change them after the move. However, I do agree with the wrong speakers in the wrong room (which I could suffer from when I move), then you need to change them first. If you are planning to upgrade the rest of your equipment then why not change speakers first to ones that will be a good match for the upgraded equipment and work in your room. So which order my intended upgrades happen in will depend on when in the process I move.

1 Like

As my Italian audiophile friend says:

Getting an expensive HI Fi system is like paying a fortune for eyeglasses to be able to examine a photograph of the Mona Lisa in your home.

12 Likes

Through timing and circumstances I am now totally content with my system for the first time ever. I had a CD5/122X/150X/Flatcap XS which was amazing at its price point but I was always looking higher up the ladder thinking ‘what if’… I am now several rungs higher, with a fair few still above me, but I honestly now just sit and listen to the music and enjoy it with no thought of what a better source/pre/power supply etc would bring to the party. Sure, if fate dictates then I may upgrade, but if this is my system for the next twenty years then I’ll be a happy boy…!!!

3 Likes

I remember hearing 282/HC/250 at the dealer. A very fine place to be :blush:

Wise words, very true indeed.

I would agree for unamplified music this is definitely the case, especially classical music. When it comes to folk, jazz and world music; I think it depends on how much there are electronic instruments and signal processing in the performance.

However, for much of the music people are making and listening to today, it is always going through some signal processing, amplification and through speakers whether live or recorded. So I think doesn’t hold to be true for all music these days. For me, a better system gets closer to the sound intended by the performers and producer as they recorded it, or at least an approximation that sounds good to my ears.

I think because of this there are some forms of music I enjoy in a live performance but rarely or never listen to at home.

Stop reading forums…

Run out of money…

…plenty of reasons for me (not in the order stated!)

2 Likes