The Ultimate support platform for an LP12 is..?

Yup, it’s the Quadraspire SVT, cherry iirc, with the fancy brass upgrade spikes…truth be told, I ordered it after an Isoblue was delayed interminably due to Covid…very happy with the SVT even so!

What’s interesting, is that Linn don’t manufacture their own dedicated equipment stand/rack … unlike Naim (Fraim)

Not sure whether Linn see the benefit of a good rack - though in the 70/80’s, they seemed to favour a light table (e.g. Sound Organisation)

Looking at some of the images on the Linn website, they often place their LP12 on heavy looking cabinets, side by side with other kit.

Might just be a marketing ‘thing’ to show their kit in ‘home like’ environments, but IF it really is detrimental to the sound, then it seems strange to promote such a concept … especially if they are promoting Linn as sounding better than any other make :grinning:

1 Like

It’s why they developed the Tramp and Tramp 2!

… so does than mean, that it doesn’t matter what you stick your LP2 on (if you have a Trampoline base)? :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve been very happy with my bamboo Quadraspire SVT. It doesn’t wobble, perhaps because I have a shelf below the bronze spikes.

Keith

6 Likes

That looks great Keith!

1 Like

I used the original SO table with mine but moved to the SO wall shelf with Trampolin when the latter came out and it definitely sounded better as well as being immune to footfall…

3 Likes

I liked the Isoblue back when I had a Trampoline 2 or Urika. Slightly preferred it to the Hutter and basic Quadraspire. Also tried AudioTech and Archidee. Isoblue is not the cleanest sounding though.

With a vintage deck, I prefer the Lack with innards removed. Isoblue is still good though. Archidee is more tuneful but musicians don’t play together as well to my ears - funny how the sound brings me back to 80s/90s dealer dem rooms.

Tried a couple of wall shelves on solid walls (still got the Audiotech fitted) but despite the cleaner sound I always felt the music suffered whether using standard feet or Urika.

Would like to try the TimeTable again but with a vintage deck this time. But £1000 vs £10 is a stark contrast, especially as the whole system should ideally sit on them, so that’s £3k vs 30 quid. Can’t really justify it for a 30-50 year old system that is not that fussy and just conveys the music whatever.

Comparisons were done in a room with suspended wooden floor and carpet. Compared with and without Linn Skeets where possible.

1 Like

Using a wall shelf from Pro-Ject. From my experience, even with the trampoline base the LP12 will only work well on racks or other floor based stands if the floor is absolutely firm/stable - previous attempts having shown that vibrations make the suspension swing in unwanted ways.

3 Likes

Never heard Mana. What does it get right?

Some very tidy looking racks on this thread, especially with all the boxes some of you have. Yours is a real achievement though Diggy to get all that kit and cabling on a single tower and still look tidy. There should be one of those forum badges for this :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have used an Audio-Tech wall shelf supplied by the long gone Studio 99 in Swiss Cottage for a long time with my LP12.
A similar wall shelf for the 555 head unit. The Audio-Tech is history as far as I know.
Coming up to date, the Linn promotional video on U-Tube show their own LP12 in what looks like a sideboard. No special support for the recenly introduced Naim Solstice.
My Linn/Naim dealer uses a wall shelf for their TT demos. The shop has a susspended wooden floor and that’s probably a factor.
There are also two Fraims supporting a pile of black boxes.
I still have my Soung Organisation table. When it supported the LP12 you had to be careful how you walked near it. Another susspended wooden floor.
I think wall support is just better. You are trying to decouple your source as much as possible from what comes out the other end.

My Mana was only a phase four but remember well how uncoloured it sounded compared to say the Sound Organisation table. You’d expect everything to sound a bit bright and zippy on all that steel and glass but it was exactly the opposite. It had a lovely rich, textured and organic sound that was incredibly fast.

Interestingly, I tried my LP12 on it when I got the T2 base and it lost something on the Mana table. The standard base definitely gave the best results.

However, it was quite difficult to live with its utilitarian design and still remain married, so converted to a Fraim for a better hobby/life balance!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.