The use of English

Yes @Xanthe, I realised that I was ‘loose’ with my spelling after the edit time ran out… ‘lose your place’.

Sorry I hadn’t realised that the comment was glib, I interpreted it as metaphorical.

A double space at the end of a sentence does, among other things, help comprehension for some, and no I’m not talking about double spacing.

In terms of spacing, for most people, even those with problems, a 20% white-space between the descenders of one line and the ascenders of the line below is completely sufficient. However there is a very small minority who will benefit a bit more from 50% white-space (and in rare cases, even double spacing, although they generally recognise that this is often impractical). My understanding is that double spacing can actually be disruptive to the reading ‘flow’ of many neurotypical people who don’t have specific probelms, and is therefore best avoided.

In other aspects, the choice of typeface can also be a big factor in readability:
Serif typefaces (and other decorative fonts) are quite a but less readable than simpler fonts.
Typefaces that have closed decenders are less readable.
Typefaces with symmetrical letters (e.g. bd) are less readable for some.
Typefaces with confusion between a numeric 1, Lower case L and capital I (1,l,I) are less readable.

Note however there are very few typefaces that have all these desirable characteristics, and those that do tend to look slightly ‘odd’ (I blame the Romans!).

1 Like

That’s an interesting one, for people with ageing eyesight, that can reduce readability, for people (such as myself) with Mears-Irlen syndrome that often increases readability (you just can’t win! :wink:).

In my case I can’t read black text on a green background. That makes me feel sick if it’s anywhere in my field of vision: I don’t even have to be trying to read it to be badly affected.

If it ain’t the web ster, it ain’t a dic ti o na ry.

2 Likes

Now that’s a whole nuther topic! Much American usage is from old British. And much modern British usage has been “Americanised” since before Brits realised that was a thing: Supermarket, anyone? Weekend?

No one complains about/has even noticed the stealth Australianising. For example, I’m old enough to recall when “whinge” was unheard of in Britain, apart from Aussies complaining about whingeing Poms.

As for zed vs zee, the real purists would tell you that “zed” is itself a corruption of “izzard,” which is about to be revived in a Rees-Mogg memo any day now. :wink:

3 Likes

What did the Romans ever do for us? :grinning:

BTW, emojis and text abbreviations are wonderful aids to comprehension in a time of communicating by phone (or forum).

3 Likes

Indeed it is, hence my reference to ‘z’ and the evolving nature of English. It is the slang rather than the alternative spelling / versions for the same word.

1 Like

There is a difference between Americanisation and introducing new words, though I am not sure you’re right about whinge. These from online sources (dictionary.com & Miriam Webster)

ORIGIN OF WHINGE

before 1150; dial. (Scots, N England), earlier Scots quhynge, Old Englishhwinsian (not recorded in ME); cognate with Old High German winsōn(German winseln); derivative of Germanic base of whine

First Known Use of whinge

12th century, in the meaning defined above

History and Etymology for whinge

Middle English *whingen , from Old English hwinsian ; akin to Old High German winsōn to moan

1 Like

You mean French then…:wink:

2 Likes

Some words seem.to be regional. e.g. mither
Meaning to verbally pester somebody.

I always knew that as “making a fuss”.
Of course later in the year we will be able to return to this thread and discuss sticking, pitching and settling.

Regarding ‘living languages’, who says there shouldn’t be rules?
Rules are fine. But let’s not get too wound up about change, new words being added to the dictionary and what-not.
When I did my degree in linguistics, we learned how all languages change. It was fascinating!
This linguist wrote great books on languages and topics close to our hearts:

1 Like

If that refers to Gower then go back a few more decades. The sentiment he expressed is still sound.
I guess fifties and sixties for quite a few here is when they were growing up so some entrenched habits.
Part of my job is coaching writing of CVs, I always make a point that each person needs to write for themselves because the era and way of expressing is individual and an employer or HR person will pick up the difference at an interview.

Oh, that’s good! Still, I’m going to cling stubbornly to a belief that it had largely fallen out of use in the UK until the arrival of the Aussies. But I could be way off the mark…

Or German. Or any number of other sources pillaged by English.

“British” aka Old English was a Celtic language that preceded “French” by hundreds of years. You may be thinking of 'Middle English" which is the language that resulted from the Norman invasion of the Britain.

2 Likes

Thanks. I have to confess not knowing that. I thought, obviously incorrectly, Old English was Anglo-Saxon in origin not Celtic. I lazily thought the post reference was to English we know which contains, I believe, circa 70% French words. Usually words containing more than seven letters I believe.

I hope you’re not one of those stating CVs should be only 2 page! Length is irrelevant, but clarity is absolutely vital, potentially more so than content because it might not get read at all if it is difficult to read and find the information in it, while presentation can make a big difference - and for anything where the job requires use of English, grammar and spelling can be significant.

Old English can be referred to as Anglo-Saxon (language) as well.
It was the resulting hybrid language from the people who lived in Britain prior to 600 CE combined with the Frisians, Angles and Saxons and other Germanic tribes.
So English is both!
And French loanwords represent 29% of the vocabulary of Modern English. Combine that with Latin, you get 58%

1 Like

I’d love to see a pie chart of modern English, which would have to include many more sources. If you have any such thing, m’learned friend, please share!

1 Like