The wooden finish Mu-so is finally here

Maybe Mr. Hungry Halibut should consider a name change to " Angry Halibut" There’s simply not of enough of these $250,000 cars to make much, if any difference in the climate, and they do of course have to meet the same emission standards as everything else.

1 Like

If this were an old ramblers club, some would be complaining about those damned show offs wearing fancy woollen britches when sack cloth does the job just fine, thank you very much. Entirely unrelated to ones own personal choice of fancy boots mind you, one can justify fancy boots but not britches! :joy:

3 Likes

Cars are status symbols in ways that hifi just isn’t (any more at least), so I’d say there are likely to be a much higher proportion of Bentley owners that want their ownership of a Bentley to say something about them as a person of style, taste and significant wealth than with Naim owners.
But of course there will be those that are passionate about Bentley for other reasons. The semiotics of cars is an interesting study and whilst it’s an area where most of us will have some sense of what a object is saying simply because cars are just so common now, the judgments we make won’t necessarily be right in every case. Sometimes it’s worth giving someone the benefit of the doubt and understanding their story.

1 Like

Having said that I doubt there’s a story Naim could tell about this Muso that would change my mind :see_no_evil::rofl:

2 Likes

Bentleys are indeed ostentatious, I suspect their biggest market is the middle & Far East, the early classic blowers were fabulous though

A class war among Naim owners. I’ve bloody seen everything now.

7 Likes

This is an interesting subject, and I’m sure there will have been psychological studies. In my observation the types of car that are considered by some to be status symbols, and indeed certain other consumer products especially of the ostentatious type, are status symbols to the owner and to those that aspire to ownership for the same reason, but not to other people. To many people they say “I’ve got money and I want to show it off because I believe I’m better than you” - not conferring status at all but more likely an inferiority complex. It is notable that people of real status rarely feel the need to flash wealth around, and many don’t.

Whether Bentley these days fits this I don’t know - they’ve changed since the days of close association with RR.

As far as Naim for Bentley is concerned I struggle to see anything negative for non-Bentley owners, simply bringing revenue to the brand and, more significantly, likely creating greater sales of the top end domestic range. As for The latest Muso, my impression having heard original Muso 1 was pretty good for a boombox, but that is what it is, not hifi. At half the price I might buy it, but too expensive at standard price - simply because all my music system money goes on the main system (=only system). Dressing it up and putting a Bentley badge on it is simply a cosmetic ‘designer label’ approach, and I prefer to pay for function rather than form. But there is a consumer market for designer labels, and the extra profit for Naim from people willing to pay surely can’t be a bad thing. Same with the headphones.

I suspect there are many more “keep up with the Joneses” types who feel the need to show off their new Golf in front of the neighbours old Fiesta than there are people buying a new Bentley to make a statement.

2 Likes

There’s always the system pics thread :roll_eyes:, or the 300 versus 500 threads…

2 Likes

Thinks it’s funny that someone refers to all Bentley owners as entitled (probably without actually knowing any Bentley owners) on a forum where people spend 10,000 s of hi fi. Love the irony and hypocrisy, classic.

6 Likes

An interesting fact is that a 272/555 PS, NAP300 with a S/L full loom costs more than both Mrs Mikes and my new cars.

3 Likes

Some people really need tp have a good look at themselves before turning their generalisation onto others.

3 Likes

Call me a whatever you like but I’d have Bentley at the drop of hat (if I could afford one that is) it’s the only way I know to get a Naim system in a car. :rofl:

1 Like

If I was ever to have that sort of money to spend on a car, there are others I’d buy over Bentley - no matter what the music system may be! But if the music system persuades some people to buy Bentley over other vehicles it is a win for Bentley, whether it is because of the name of Naim, or simply that it is part of the package that conveys exclusivity and “best” to a certain range of people.

Can I respectfully suggest that we stick to the premium wooden finish Mu-so rather than bagging other brands / cars, etc, please? With some car manufacturers going with Bose, Infinity, Dynaudio, etc, I am happy that a premium car maker chooses Naim and considers Naim fitting to their aspiration of being the very best.

1 Like

That’s unfair of you - HH has made it clear it’s the excessive fuel consumption / CO2 emissions of the Bentleys he dislikes. Several of the posts on here are confusing that (which is what HH was referring to) with a dislike of very expensive products per se (which he was not)

2 Likes

i’ve met way more people with small wallets and small brains to match but i don’t judge based on what someone can or can’t buy

exactly, it could be considered hypocritical to criticize someone for a nice expensive car on a site where we drool over little boxes that cost as much as most people’s actual cars in a never ending search of a
“darker background” and “wider soundstage”

3 Likes

do you really believe the boxes you have in your system don’t impact the environment or the money you earned to spend on them didn’t have an impact?
maybe there should be a ban of your system; the electricity it uses and the tons of carbon produced by Naim, its factories, its employees, the mining of rare metals, the research involved, the waste that all produces, the shipping companies used to get them to you just so you can listen to Buzzcocks!

I’m not convinced:

3 Likes