Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

SNAICs on a plane :joy:

5 Likes

Fly Texas Airways :airplane: - We Operate an Open Carry Service :grin:

1 Like

I used to shoot trap and skeet when I was a boy and would have to take my gun on various flights within the US and also back and forth between the US and the UK. I had a big foam lined travel case that kept it all safe and sound. The airline would issue a big red firearms label that had to be on the case as it travelled. Within the US it was fine, and even coming back to the UK was fine too, you just needed the paperwork in order. The problem was always coming back into the US, in particular one time when I couldn’t find the key to the gun case and the customs man lost his patience and jemmied it open, then proceeded to take the shotgun to pieces right then and there. He was not in the slightest bit gentle and just left me with a pile of parts which I then had to re-assemble. Not much anyone can do under such circumstances. Weirdly even after a proper check over and re-assembly that shotgun never felt quite the same again.

3 Likes

Yes, I had an old Browning brutalised by someone in the US and it never felt right again. Not a nice feeling.

1 Like

In fairness, nice chap and he came back at around teh time he suggested - considrably more down to earth than the ‘efficient but can’t wait’ guy yesterday. Refund authorised.

1 Like

I left work at midday today, as is normal on a Friday, from my 21 hrs a week part time job.
However, today was for the last time, into the slightly unknown world of full retirement. Certainly from paid work. I will have to find a new routine. Will miss a lot of colleagues, but the booked in advance, difficult to alter, holidays had become too restrictive. It feels odd, into a new phase.

19 Likes

You’ll soon get used to it. Just get on with your hobbies and interests :smile:

3 Likes

Went for a swim here yesterday. Water on the nippy side to say the least but a fantastic half hour in the sea in my favourite swim spot and one of my favourite places anywhere. Picnic on the beach. Great day. This is retirement for which I’m eternally grateful as my old dad never got to experience what Mrs twofifty and I now enjoy. I can’t recall meeting anyone who said, I wish I’d never retired. I’m sure they exist of course.

8 Likes

Just enjoy it. I retired nearly five years ago, and I don’t miss a single thing about work.

5 Likes

Flambrough North Landing…?

1 Like

Correct. Loved it since my parents took me as a kid - we lmost always holidayed in Brid. I try to get back at least once every year. A hidden gem. Surprising how many Yorkshire folk have never heard of it, let alone been. Shameful :grinning:

2 Likes

Our family were from Hull, so the east coast was frequently visited. After we went south (St Albans) on missionary work, our holiday’s were mostly in Filey!

Filey’s also lovely. Great for a game of beach cricket. I passed through St Alban’s earlier in the year. Couldn’t stop but it looked really nice.

1 Like

St Albans is worth a visit. There’s a Cathedral, Roman ruins at Verulamium and lots of pubs. Could quite happily live there again but would need to win the lottery.

3 Likes

It certainly looked expensive.

2 Likes

St Albans worth visiting for a hi-fi dealer with a reputation for pre-loved Naim :grinning:

4 Likes

Right eye cataract removed yesterday. Both now removed. It was a bit worrying because the dilating pellet couldn’t be found for removal at the beginning of surgery and the discomfort caused a reflex reaction to tighten the eye when the surgeon wanted to get rid of an air bubble.

Overnight the pellet was ejected and gradually the air bubble disappeared. I can read number plates at 40m and this screen with my pre surgery varifocals, colours are vibrant and the tv brightness down from 60 to 50.

Phil

10 Likes

I do my best to avoid ‘upgrades’ :grinning:

Happy retirement, you will find that after a while you will wonder how you found the time to go to work.

best wishes

Ian

4 Likes

Good for you. I did the same at the end of January. No regrets at all. You will find stuff to do, but it’s quite normal to wake up in the morning with an odd feeling along the lines of “now what do I do”?

3 Likes