Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

That is truly excellent news!

1 Like

Excellent news!
:fist_right:t3::fist_left:t4:

1 Like

Great news Pete, and good to see you posting again :+1:

1 Like

Would be interested to hear your feedback on Redlands, it seems to be a getting a bit of press lately, and of course is a great story….

Paul

I read this recently, written by a young tank commander who fought through Normandy and beyond. From memory something like 90% of his fellow Sherman officers did not survive from the start of the campaign. A really interesting read, a first hand account. The two main advantages the Sherman had was speed and there was a never ending supply of them and replacement crews. I had no prior perception of the volume of casualties in France.

2 Likes

Interesting. I recall reading that one of the Sherman tank commander casualties in Normandy was famed artist Rex Whistler - a real tragedy.

2 Likes

Just ordered the audiobook.

2 Likes

This is a good book about a war.

1 Like

It’s that an oxymoron :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

That’s impressive.

I’ve been happy with my solid 80/20 product from Zen for several years, but having decided to re-download all my Qobuz purchases into a single new library I can see how a faster connection would have been a boon over the last 3 days (still going at it!).

1 Like

summer tires on the car also a consideration

1 Like

gasoline 75% of the price in BC

1 Like

Well, if it puts people off war then perhaps yes.

1 Like

HiP vs Celibidache: hard to imagine two more contrasting approaches to Bruckner - or to any composer, for that matter :rofl:

1 Like

I agree. Bach is one thing, Bruckner another. And this performance by Herrewege wasn’t weird because of fast tempos or strange bowing (and it was, too), but because of the absolute lack of understanding of - or interest in - the Symphony’s ample structure, thematic relationships, for its universal character once all the wagnerisms were wiped clean.

2 Likes

Yes. And having personally known, listened to, approached and learned from the latter, it’s impossible for me not to know where to stand. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow! A conductor I would love to have heard in concert.

1 Like

And an amazing man under every profile. Deeply human and somehow supernatural…

3 Likes

Herrewege is fine so long as he’s sticking to baroque. I have heard him tackle another classical composer and it was an absolute disaster.

3 Likes

Finally got a hold of my friend Jodi who lives in Asheville. Her house is dry and safe, but no electricity, no water, and very limited cellular service if you can drive around to find a spot with service. There is nothing open, and she is subsisting on canned goods from her pantry and warm Diet Cokes.

The dam at Lake Lure broke and the towns of Lake Lure and Chimney Rock literally no longer exist. Rescue workers are digging up dead bodies everywhere as they remove mud and debris. Interstate highway 40 is washed out, and the NC Dept of Transportation has basically said “consider all roads in Western NC to be closed.”

It is a window into what life might resemble in a post-apocalyptic situation. Scary.

4 Likes