Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

Did a 2km swim this morning. That’s the third one over the last week. Used to do 1600m, but have decided to up it to 2000m. I think it’s doing me good, although my shoulders and arms might disagree at the moment!

6 Likes

I had a pain management appointment yesterday morning. X-ray guided bilateral L4/5, L5/S1, and sacroiliac joint injections, slightly uncomfortable at the time, but today I can walk virtually pain free, so a good result if it lasts.
Then in the evening I had a severe allergic reaction to an airborne antigen, couldn’t breathe, took Fexofenadine and drank water, Epipen used, ambulance called. Taken back to the same hospital as earlier, I should have left my wristband on. ECG and steroid drip and observed for four hours. Home at 3.30am and opened the windows to clear the air in case.
Saw the GP this morning who will escalate an appointment at King’s allergy clinic, as this is the second time this year a reaction has occured to something new.
Feel a bit out of it today!

I hate getting old 1.
Not related to particular aches, pains and physical conditions, but just the realisation and effect of old age. Sun has finally come out and its 32 degrees. Cutting back an overgrown area of brambles alongside a field edge that I would normally have cut late April if it wasn’t for the rain and slippery conditions. 2 hours in and I was struggling to breathe easily. Had to stop and sit for 30 mins, a cup of tea and a biscuit before going again. I hate getting old. (Disclaimer is that I have a permanent leg injury, prostate ops and a few other bits and pieces not quite right).

I hate getting old 2.
Covid put a spanner in our plans to move and at age 69 we can’t get that time lost, back. Looking at pension pots tied up in property and the current slow market we have come to the conclusion that waiting for the market to stabilise for another couple of years, before shifting funds is going to have us running out of time to enjoy those carefully prepared funds. Better to take a small loss on expectations and sell something now rather than leave a pot behind. Entirely age related. If we were 40 we could just let it sit and stabilise over time. Now not so much.

10 Likes

I’d suggest checking competence to be behind the wheel too.

Bonkers :flushed:

2 Likes

Probably felt like a normal drive on a UK pot holed road why would you notice any difference.

At the moment with the number of pot holes you’d be checking every few minutes if you’d lost a tyre as that’s what it feels like.

3 Likes

The time ahead is all that matters. Who knows when the grim reaper will call!

For me the future is about understanding modern physics and cosmology as best I can. Things are clicking together at last and hardly a day goes by without something interesting being reported via Apple News (without the subscription). I go to Saturday Morning Theoretical Physics at Oxford Physics each term as well.

Another 12 years should see results from the Gravitational Wave Satellite Network (LISA) in development.

The rest is Gardening, Music and Choir and family.

Lost a few bits myself.

Phil

3 Likes

A threesome today for the Revolutionary Council plus a car bound guest.
Feeling a trifle malicious as our usual parking spaces had been hogged by day trippers we had this years game of ‘who on earth bought those shorts’
Sports wear and hikers are excluded but you have to guess if the man chose and purchased the shorts or if the garments had been imposed upon his wardrobe by a sartorially misguided wife.
We came to the conclusion that most garments had just been put in the basket with a couple of new frocks to ensure free postage.

The Nirvana of truly old age.

1 Like

Yes , it is the arthritic knees made of Wensleydale and the cataracts , downsizing seems an option

If it happens I am dreading it

1 Like

Work in progress.

2 Likes

I was at the eye hospital on Monday and somewhat fearful of the prognosis.
The young consultant last visit I thought a bully. I left his surgery wondering weather to purchase a white stick or save up for a guide dog
His mantra was….surgery surgery.
This trip it was my luck to fall into the hands of the department head.
Glaucoma? On a scale of several it could be better but 85th year and no night driving it’ll do.
Cataracts? What do you think about them? They are not too severe but do they impede your life? No. I thought not. Off you go.see you in the New Year or earlier if you have any troubles.

My next medical journey is to the allegedly new Physio department to see if we can find some easement of the naggling discomfort in my hip that prevents sleep whilst lying abed. Apparently we now have access to scans
and pain clinics.

Try not to let life get you down. I have experienced a host of horrors but can still laugh (perhaps cynically) at it all.
Xx

9 Likes

Very hot here in the Vaucluse
Hiding inside with a/c

5 Likes

Well good for you!

It is still bl**dy well raining here in Cornwall, as it has been virtually every day since last November.

We were under a hosepipe ban until last September & I now hear that the local water authority wants to make it compulsory for all households to own a hosepipe & leave it on all the time as they have so much water that they don’t know what to do with it…

1 Like

The vise is done!
I guess I used around ten hours on it. A fun, little project. Soo smooth to operate. Lubed emwith Molycote P40 grease. Better than the Heuer vises we use at work. :grinning:

18 Likes

Ouch, sounds painful - hope all sorted out soon

A first. Because of badly positioned lakes on a course I had not played before, I took a 7 iron off the tee on a par 5, and got a par.

4 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes

Looks great. But is your partner going to let you bolt it to your kitchen table I wonder?!

1 Like

I am the design/furniture nut in this relationship. :slight_smile: It will not happen.

She come from a small farm, so it will be there.

1 Like

A general question for the UK members who may have come across this?

It seems my elderly aunt is to get a visit at home from the DWP this week - no letter, just arranged from a blocked number. Sadly, the person she’s been acting as affective ‘carer’ for, who was living with her, is now destined for a care home – she holds 2x PoAs and has been acting under these.

She’s been advised she needs to provide copies of the PoAs and personal ID, which I’m mystified by as HMG dept’s have access to the PoA database, and there’s nothing for her to act on moving forward, as the care arrangements will fall to the LA to arrange (not the DWP).

Am I right to be very suspicious? My thoughts are that assuming this is a valid request (we’ll determine on the day), we’ll copy and post the ID docs.

Tomorrow will involve hunting for the subject DWP office - no luck so far.

1 Like

It’s always good to be suspicious.

But, data protection laws will prevent a DWP person from getting access to any database of POA. Also what it means to have a POA depends on what the POA actually is. No doubt there are people with Enduring Powers of Attorney that may or may not be registered and others with Lasting Powers of Attorney in which there are options. Also there is the question of someone who has a POA acts as an attorney alone on severally with others.

I’m not sure why DWP should be interested, except that they probably suspect fraud may be involved. Obviously a person going into care will have different entitlements to allowances and so does someone who will no longer be a carer.

Anyway it would be a good idea if there was someone else present during the meeting to provide backup to your relative. And that shouldn’t be a meal elderly neighbour or similar but someone who is savvy and robust, I suggest.

3 Likes