Things that make you feel old

I’m late 50´s so not geriatric however an of example of me feeling old would be seeing an actress say who I was a hot for when I was in my teens who now looks like my grannie did back then. Also the young hot actresses of today look like kids to me :see_no_evil:

1 Like

We moved around a lot when I was young and I left school and home at 14 so I have no contact with old school friends. I’ve lost my 2 oldest and closest friends in the last 10 years to cancer.

Think it is true guys don’t make friends easily, we’ve moved twice in 8 years and both times Mrs Pete has made a lot more friends (it may have some to do with her being nicer than me) than me.

8 Likes

There’s definitely a plus to getting old, when I was young I thought people that eat oysters and drunk wine were mad. Well guess what, I love oysters and drink wine regularly.

9 Likes

I’ll bet you do :smiley::+1:

1 Like

You’re here for a good time not a long time. :+1:

I intend to do both

1 Like

Snot in a shell :nauseated_face:

5 Likes

I used to say stuff like that, some of my grandkids still say it. It’s obviously an acquired taste and not for everyone. Hopefully you do enjoy a glass of wine though.

I’m teetotal :innocent:

I’m speechless.

1 Like

Gee…not even coffee?

2 Likes

Oysters are best straight off the rocks, rinsed in a rock pool if required :sunglasses:

1 Like

Very true Mike, as long as they’re not cooked. However kilpatrick and mornay were the gateway for me, I now hate both of those options.

1 Like

I suppose it is acceptable to drink wine with oysters, but only if you’ve exhausted all options for procuring a good pint of Guinness.

Willy.

5 Likes

Now there’s another conversation that could probably continue on its own thread. Don’t mind Guinness but never been a huge fan. It’s a bit heavy and doesn’t suit our climate. I’ve got Irish friends who can drink more pints a night than I could swim in.

1 Like

Oysters are great raw or cooked.

Raw with lemon or Tabasco sauce.

Breadded and deep fried.

Braised with a thimble if rice wine and soy sauce.

And I’d have no problem washing them down with beer or guiness. However, I can’t remember an age where I didn’t like them. So they don’t make me feel old.

I was just trying to put a positive spin on getting old.:wink:

Guinness is only popular due to the iconic advertising starting in the fifties. There’s loads of lovely stouts out there and they’re not the horrible bitter taste of Guinness. It’s a cool thing to order a pint of Guinness; that’s why people do it.

You’ll note that I was careful to say a “good” pint of Guinness. If there’s a pronounced bitter taste then it’s not a good one.
I’ll admit that I rarely drink it these days as there are few cellarmen (other genders are available) capable of nurturing a good pint of Guinness.

Willy.

2 Likes

Back in the 70s we frequented (the emphasis is on “frequent”) a pub at the back of the office building called The Old Rose run by an Irish chap called Michael.

He kept and served Guinness that was like cream and we sank an awful lot of it.

One year we thought it a good weeze to get a barrel from him for the Christmas party. Tapping a barrel of Guinness is an art. We lacked that art and spent a good hour trying to remove gallons of the stuff from the carpet.

That memory makes me feel old.

1 Like