Thinking of stepping into Vinyl - player recommendations

this one would be on my radar too.
With 2 other ones: Avid Acutus SP and Brinkman Oasis. In the OP budget too.

This is my Clearaudio Ovation with Universal arm and Dynavector XV-1s.

I would make sure to budget for an RCM as well.

There are too many options to be explored at that price point.

1 Like

Your budget is nice but not enough to get to the top of the tree immediately, given your associated 500 Series gear. I am sure any dealer would view you as a nice annuity, so be forewarned.

The Superline should be the first step. I got mine second hand and it has been wonderful. Reserve on a Supercap until you are truly committed, and plug the Superline into the 552.

Depending on where you are, identify a turntable that can be upgraded and shipped UPS. It is easier to ship the table to be upgraded than it is to fly the dealer out to visit. My nearest dealer is 1000 miles away and I pay shipping both ways! Rega is ideal for this. I had a Planar 3 for over 20 years but you need the nicest you can afford for the rest of your system.

You will also need a record cleaning machine. The RCM will allow you to buy and enjoy used LP’s. Nice used LP’s are the secret to a satisfying vinyl system. New LP’s are good but the magic happens in the old records and they take time and effort, and risk. Discogs is not necessarily your friend.

Do the math on what the full system will cost in currency, space, time and effort. When you pencil it out, you might be happier with ND555. If I did not have a closet full of vinyl and related gear, that is what I would do.

This is our Verdier turntable below. It aces the CD555 but the CD is closer than you might imagine.

KleosSL

Lots of good advice particularly from @anon4489532 and @Bluesfan.

Of course audition required but I would listen to Avid, Vertere and Rega.

Good luck.

If you have no vinyl or very little then, and if you find it addictive, you need to figure in your “running costs” The price of fuel for your Ferrari!
Vinyl from charity shops used to be at give away prices but they have woken up to the interest in the LP record. No more 10 disks for a fiver.
In the latest Hi-Fi News Ken Kessler has a brilliant review of a recent Jennifer Warnes LP with “buy it now” from him… The LP is nearly £50 and the CD circa £12. Factor in the relatively small pressing runs and this does the cost no favours. Its not David Bowie.
If you find yourself buying from charity shops then condition as you might imagine varies a lot, You might not want to put your new £2K moving coil cartridge near them. This brings in the question of record cleaning machines. The most favoured use ultrasonics similar to cleaning jewellery. The Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner is highly rated having seen one in operation, but £2.5K…It makes even new records sound better.
The LP is still the most satisfying music carrier apart from reel to reel tape at a cost too much for most people .But that’s just my view.

Douglas.

1 Like

Some really great points here. They mirror my own experience. HH makes a great point about starting with something just to see how this works out. If you can afford a 15-20k tt, you can afford something 1/10th the price and then upgrade if you really want to.

We took a leap of faith when my wife recovered her childhood Beatles’ albums from her ex husband’s home. (A bit of a covert operation led by her daughter.) But keeping in theme, the RP-8 and Aria pre-loved were a great deal because their first owner bought them and never “took” to vinyl!

We took to it, so spending that much worked out ok.

Now as to acquiring vinyl – it can become obsessive just like anything else with this hobby. We don’t have room nor want the clutter, and it honestly doesn’t fit with the decor. I’m at about 75 lp’s now, and that’s pretty much my limit. I have the rock classics from the 70’s that I wanted, many very early pressings in great shape (which did not come cheaply), with their original inserts etc. Fun! And some classics from jazz. But ending up with 100…200…more…lp’s will not serve us in any way.

So be careful out there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The issue with starting with a budget turntable with top end amplification is that an upgrade is highly likely pretty soon, IME.

A good dealer should be able to replicate, as much as possible, the system at home and demo TTs at a range of budgets, again IME.

Have fun demoing :grinning:

Thanks for all the replies and good advice - very much appreciated to you all.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.