This guy has to be wrong (coiling speaker cables)

This guy measures inductance and says coiling speaker cable has no effect. That goes against everything I have ever heard. Doesn’t coiling speaker cables also increase capacitance (something the guy in the video doesn’t talk about)?

It’s not capacitance, a coiled cable increases inductance.
That’s a fact, its not up for debate, ask Joseph Henry.

Does it make any difference ?? (edited 3/3/21)
Folding the cable rather than coiling it removes any questions of doubt.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. I thought I had once read capacitance was increased by coiling cable. Or maybe it was twisting cables in a braid? I admit I am not an expert on this stuff! Naim has always advised not to coil Naca 5.

The closer you have two conductors the greater the capacitance between them - hence a difference between a ‘shotgun’ figure-of-eight cable and a spaced one (like NACA5). However the effect of capacitance between the ‘positive’ and ‘negative’ conductors as a result of two parts of an assembled cable lying next to each other will depend on the construction of the cable and how they lie.

2 Likes

Correct, coiling joined speaker cable has no effect on inductance… another Hi-Fi audio myth.
The inductance cancels each other out on the outward and return current flow … basic physics.

If you took the positive cable and coiled it separately to the negative cable and coil it separately, ie you had two separate cables for your plus and minus of your speaker cables, then yes it would add inductance.

Interestingly the same applies to mains extenders, and the reason they have current limit when coiled is nothing to do with inductance, as it cancels each other out on live and neutral, but it’s to do with heat dissipation. A drum of coiled wire won’t dissipate heat effectively.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.