Thoughts on cruising to the arctic

We’re hoping to do a cruise of the Northwest Passage in 2024. Anyone done it? Any thoughts and recommendations. Previously used Hurtigruten and was well looked after. We’ll add some additional days at each end of the cruise to take in Montreal and Boston, or wherever we start and fi ish.

Not the sort of place you want to break down is it?

1 Like

Maybe have a look at Quark - I’ve been there with them a couple of times and both trips were really good, especially the zodiac outings etc.

1 Like

Travel co. Explore - ‘Realm of the Polar Bear’. Despite seeing no bears this was a brilliant trip. Much more expensive now than when we did it sadly.

1 Like

Worth trying Franklin North West Passage cruises …?

1 Like

I would be interested in knowing what you discover as that looks to be exactly the kind of thing i would like to try. I have been to Ilulissat before and am going again this year. Amazing to see the icebergs in Disko Bay.

1 Like

Wrap up nice and warm!

2 Likes

We did this trip Sept 2022 on MS Fram.Our stating point was Edmonton and the trip finished in Halifax, 19 days, but we took the opportunity to add an oceanic crossing, 10 days all at sea, and finished in Panama. But we didn’t go through the canal, unfortunately.
Your route sounds better as we had several people whom had poor flight connections when booking flights direct with Hurti. We arrived a few days beforehand and booked flights and the trip/cruise with our favourite travel agent.
We very much enjoyed this cruise with Hurti and have been cruising with them before. Not sure what previous trip you did but we found the NWP quiet exciting to travel in the explorers footsteps and see the grave sites too. It is quite a barron area.
Wildlife was plentiful too and the onboard experts are so friendly and full of interesting info. Sightings of Polar bears, Beluga whales, dolphins, loads of birds, even a peregrine falcon hitched a ride. Some folk saw musk ox too.
Landscape is interesting but in Sept there is no snow so don’t expect the snowy scenes of Pond Inlet etc. Plenty of landings with the zodiacs as you’re probably already familiar with. However, we were unable to book some of the additional excursions on board and also our travel agent was also unable to. We did feed this point back, so things may be different this time. We were also trying to escape hurricane Fiona at the time too, so when we got to Greenland it was raining most days. Highlights for us were Radstock Bay for wildlife, Kvanefjord and glacier, Llulissat ice boat trip and ice field. Also we had a cabin upgrade when traveling the Oceanic leg which was a super experience with a lot less passengers but there were folk on our trip who were doing Pole to Pole! All in all we were very happy, so if you can, do it otherwise you will never know! Enjoy!
We have booked up again for another Hurti trip for 2024 too.

2 Likes

Many thanks @msf great info. We have a favourite independent travel agent who has aranged previous adventures, so will be seeking their advice. Like yourself we’ll add days at the beginning and end of the cruise, an opportunity to see a little bit of Canada. Our only experience of Hurtigruten was cruising the Norwegian coast Bergen to Kirkeness which was great. The wildlife is very special and an opportunity to see polar bears is special. My wife has now found an additional cruise to
south west Alaska to visit Katmai national park to see the brown bears…so even more research! @Biggles Disko bay in Greenland looks fantastic…that’s a must. We’ve been amongst icebergs in Alaska and Iceland… very special and emotional…can’t explain that.
Lots more research to do. Thanks all for comments.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.