Tidal and MQA (oh no, not again)

It depends. Say, when I used WXAD, I saw AAC almost everywhere. With nd5xs2 under the same subscription I see FLAC and haven’t seen any AAC.
So, TIDAL cheats a little. Bigger box - bigger file :slight_smile:

I don’t think from being a flac you can conclude that it’s not MQA:

MQA-encoded content can be carried via any lossless file format such as FLAC or ALAC; hence, it can be played back on systems either with or without an MQA decoder. In the latter case, the resulting audio has easily identifiable high-frequency noise occupying 3 LSB bits, thus limiting playback on non-MQA devices effectively to 13 bit. MQA claims that nevertheless, the quality is higher than “normal” 48/16, because of the novel sampling and convolution processes

From

1 Like

16 bit FLAC if your streamer is not MQA enabled as I said earlier (in response to your post).

But can Tidal even legally sell MQA encoded files? And what percentage of their customers have the equipment to decode MQA if not played through the Tidal app? If someone wants to bite the bullet and buy one to do a comparison analysis, that might be helpful. I’m not sure I have the software to do that.

Good questions

I don’t know, I just known that Duncan’s script indexes the Tidal database and identifies the MQA format. It is the same code that applies the MQA label in Roon as part of their track-by-track analysis.
So this database helps you track down the MQA versions of music you are interested in.
I would imagine the code could be repurposed to extract the Redbook version and URLs, but I don’t have the source code.

1 Like

Anyone using Roon, can make the first unfold in the Roon Core.
This is the same level of decoding as the native Tidal apps.
It is limited to a max resolution of 24/96.

I have analysed the file formats to compare against the Redbook version of the same track, however this was at the file level, and not the unfolded format stream, which is what you have to analyse.

Tidal does not sell tracks, albums etc. They purely operate an internet streaming service. This is different to Qobuz, who started out as a shop to purchase content and then added the streaming service.

They do. I’m not sure if I can post the link in this forum, but a simple search can lead you to the Tidal store. Solar Power in FLAC goes for $17.99.

Edit - it occurs to me they might not sell in all jurisdictions, but they do in the U.S.

I think this is permitted. I removed the link.

"On the Download Homepage, you can browse available featured content or, you can use the search bar in the top right corner to find your favorite album. Next, you will select the preferred audio quality - Lossless or MP3. Each file differs in price as well as quality.

"If you are an existing TIDAL user, you can log in to your TIDAL account to save the purchase history to your account. If you are not an existing TIDAL subscriber, please create an account to save your purchases.

"To purchase your favorite album, you will enter your payment information, make your selection, click on the price button next to the album then follow the prompts to complete your transaction.

“Once your purchase is complete, you will be emailed a copy of your album to download straight to your PC. This is a one-time-use link and will expire after the files have been transferred to your computer. If you would like to transfer your purchase to your mobile device or external drive, you can copy the files directly from your computer.”

I’m sorry I wasn’t wording that well enough, when I say 13 MQA as opposed to 16 bit FLAC, I should have been more specific:

13bit MQA wrapped in a FLAC container
or
16bit PCM wrapped in a FLAC container

To be obtain an objective (rather than subjective) answer, I’d need to use statistical data analysis tools on the data stream; both would render successfully (as in without error) on a non-MQA enabled streamer / DAC.

MQA listing Naim as supporting MQA on their website is intentional, and slimy. It is the oldest marketing trick in the world.
They know full well Naim doesn’t support MQA. But, by posting that Naim does support MQA, they know that Naim users will ask Naim about it. The more users ask Naim about MQA, the more chance that Naim adopts MQA. MQA can always claim it was an honest mistake, but it is not.
It is more evidence of MQA’s desperation.

5 Likes

Couldn’t agree more!

2 Likes

I have written to Tidal to tell them that Naim does not support MQA. I am curious if I will get an answer.

From that same page:
“While you can listen to Master Quality audio on any device, the partners below provide full MQA playback through TIDAL:” (Naim is on the list).

Also:

“Please contact your device manufacturer to request the development of MQA capabilities with TIDAL.”

4 Likes

Interesting, looking at this list, who else does not support MQA?

If I stream Tidal through my iPhone and then cast to my Nova, will Tidal on the phone app decode the MQA info? From what little I know, the answer would be no with ChromeCast because ChromeCast technology simply redirects the stream from the phone directly to the Nova. But I wonder about AirPlay.

I am not promoting this; just wondering if that’s how Tidal might rationalize its claim.

No, I think:

Currently the masters section is only applicable for MQA enabled devices. There is no first unfold offered by the system and the TIDAL servers pick 16/44.1 equivalents. If this is important then the Qobuz offering of full fat hidef might be a better option to consider.

From Stevesky at:

1 Like

I would expect Naim, whether @Naim.Marketing or a colleague, to object to Tidal making false statements about them.

MQA is the primary reason why I quit Tidal.

3 Likes

Not even if I ask nicely, @Naim.Marketing? For me as a Tidal subscriber, that would be rather disappointing. Or are Naim of the opinion that the 44.1 kHz, 16 bits version always sounds better than the MQA version? (in keeping with Naim’s philosophy of “Every Naim product is conceived, designed and engineered entirely in service of the sound, revealing a pure experience of music that is as close as possible to its original live source.”)