Tidal and MQA (oh no, not again)

I don’t know if the Naim system lets you use Tidal Connect from the Tidal app to the Chromecast input of the Nova.

I’m not sure how many times I’ve stated on this thread that I am not interested in Roon.

Period.

2 Likes

I did try to download the same track from Tidal using “Master” and “Lossless” setting and I got an identical FLAC file. It seems that Tidal is serving the MQA file even if non-MQA is selected – at least in some cases; I presume those are the “lower quality MQAs” that have been added to Tidal en masse a couple of months ago.

1 Like

Interesting how the suggestion is that you can mitigate the deleterious effect of one software ‘solution’ by purchasing another. It’s almost as if these companies are designed to generate revenues :wink:

The whole discussion about Tidal and MQA - which exact files we get, resolution etc. got me started to duplicate my album/track selection and playlists in Qobus. I’ve not pulled the trigger on Tidal yet but I think I will.

So currently playing here, an MQA 192 file in Roon, with first unfold to 24/96, then streamed to a CCA device, as I am in my home office, atm

A MQA 96 file unfolded completely and streamed at 24/96

A MQA 352.8 file with 1st unfolded to 24/88.2

A MQA 88.2 file unfolded completely and streamed at 24/88.2

And for completeness

A MQA 44.1 file streamed at 24/88.2

A MQA 48 file streamed at 24/96

Can reproduce this to my Naim NDS through the SonoreUPnP Bridge, with a bit-perfect stream from Roon to the Network Player.
Can also do through to a Roon Ready output to a USB->S/PDIF convertor, into a Digital input on the NDS, however the UPnP stream through the Ethernet input on the NDS, sounds better.

No speculation as to what can or can’t be done - examples of all formats.

2 Likes

This is starting to look like a marketing campaign…

1 Like

If you go to the Soundiiz website, you can transfer all of this automatically. You need an active Tidal and Qobuz account, and a one-time monthly subscription for Soundiiz for 5 quid.

You enter your Tidal and Qobuz accounts and Soundiiz transfers the favorites etc. (Also check the failure list for things that didn’t work, usually because a title is not available on Qobuz). Then you can cancel the Soundiiz account again. (An ongoing subscription is only necessary if you want to keep both Tidal and Qobuz and want Soundiiz to keep them in sync)

Sorry, just trying to remove speculation, and provide some facts, as to what is actually undertaken, not what is believed to be undertaken on something they haven’t tried or listened to.

Yes, suddenly I became a little melancholy. This whole discussion has left me rather cold.

I wonder if this ‘MQA promise’ is turning people a little crazy. :crazy_face:

But all you’ve shown is that an MQA file can be presented/handled in a variety of ways. No one is disputing that - the issue remains that the MQA file itself is a problem on a number of levels.

1 Like

Yours seems to be the one post that takes on my question directly. Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with Kazoo. What does it verify?

Linn Kazoo shows the album sample rates exactly. So it were a MQA-encoded track/album, it would show up clearly.

Isn’t it easier to stream the full high res file (24/96, 24/192 or whatever it originally is) losslessly from Qobuz (or from your home store for someone who prefers to buy than rent access) to your device, Naim or otherwise, and not faff about with it?

1 Like

That is why MQA is a problem!

Thank you! :ok_hand: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi @gthack I’m rapidly reaching the same conclusion. Will switch to Qobuz family very soon. This combined with the new owners is an absolute no from me. Interesting nonetheless.

1 Like

A bit rich claiming Lossless, MQA is lossy itself, to the MQA core decoder step isn’t lossless!

2 Likes

Not so much ‘rich’ as disingenuous bordering on intent to mislead.

3 Likes